1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Plymouth away…

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Buckyohare, Oct 29, 2021.

1. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Ref is giving every decision to Plymouth, frustrating

2. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Come on Ipswich!

3. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Edwards misses a very good chance, that was poor from Kyle

4. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Glad Celina is on, he makes a difference. Need more of a threat up front now. Time for the Pig?

5. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Ref gives Nsiala a yellow card for defending himself. This guy has lost it!

6. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Piggott on for Chaplin

7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I don't mind that sub as Chaplin hasn't had much influence today,

8. Southcoastoldgaffer

Must be the Pig on forChaplin, what on earth is PC playing at. Pigheaded obstinacy about his formation.

We need big assault for last 10, driving forward.

9. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Harper on for Evans

10. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Bonne shot saved

11. Southcoastoldgaffer

Another Bonne miss, dear oh dear!

12. Southcoastoldgaffer

Frantic, more chances to score go begging, lack that killer finish today.

13. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Was that a penalty?
    Harper with a shot on the counter attack that was going well wide, poor finishing today

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  14. Southcoastoldgaffer

Am I guessing the ref not doing us any favours today?

15. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Nah, ref has had a stinker, very biased towards Plymouth.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  16. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

5 mins injury time, let's go!

17. Southcoastoldgaffer

Sounds like same old simple defensive errors, Coulson comes back from injury plays out right, PC no real 2nd half strategy, but to be far they tried hard. Lots of missed chances too. Celina should start in my book.

Needed a point, come away with nowt. Very long drive back for a disappointed townie.

Look forward to the highlights. Thanks to SD our constant game watcher commentary!

Buckyohare and Nuggets like this.
  18. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

The pre-match absences of some first team regulars certainly affected our preparations - particularly our strength down the right. This performance and result just seems to reinforce the view that we struggle against good, in-form teams in this division, despite the enviable plethora of options and undoubted talent in this squad.

I didn’t watch the match (radio for the most part), but it sounded like we mostly reverted to long ball football, were generally outplayed, and left the required changes until far too late (yet again). I was a big supporter of Paul Cook’s appointment, and I really hope it works for him here, but I have to raise my concerns again. I don’t think we’re going to get promoted under him. This season or next. We are far too easy to score against and we really need a “plan B” in system and tactics when we’re behind in games. Again, I would feel a lot more confident going into matches if we had an experienced coaching staff getting this side properly organised. We cannot expect to break into the top six of a very competitive division by the on-paper quality of players alone.

The worrying thing is that when some of these talented, in-form players make the obvious jump up to the Championship (Edmondson, Morsy, Chaplin, Celina, Bonne), where will that leave us? I get the horrible feeling our window of promotion is running out and we’ll become a regular fixture in this league.

Four more games to come against top six opposition. Seven points off play-offs, we really need to win a couple of those matches.

19. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

I think some of the predictions we’d win today suggest over confidence in our set up and underestimated Plymouth. Weird tactics:

Why would u pick coulson as a right winger In a game like this when he’s not played for weeks?

we gave Bonne virtually nothing. We’ve got three bloody forwards set up behind him for crying out loud!

why would you not pick Fraser who is excellent at keeping and effectively using possession? Was he injured too..?

The two wingers that started were basically useless.

edwards again doing not enough for the team. Such great feet but jeez find a team mate instead of going for glory every damn time. And he missed from 12 yards. Celina was much better.

there was a lot of poor and wasteful passing which ceded possession very cheaply in the midfield.

we were basically out fought today and this ‘gung ho’ Kevin Keegan approach just isn’t effective. They don’t look well coached at all. We’re are very one dimensional going forward which is terrible for 4 forwards and all that flair and pace. We create very little which is not good enough for this formation and these players.

The performances and results for the players we’ve got isn’t good enough. Cook is now on borrowed time for me because he seems unable to make anything half decent from what is a team of championship players.

itfcptc and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  20. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

2-1 loss then.

Not sure why Cook picked the right hand side he did today, I think it may have been something to do with Burns and Donacien getting sick on the trip and then Cook having limited options from the travelling squad. If we had been at home he would've had more choices in an emergency situation like this, although it's not confirmed that this is what happened. I still think he should have started with Celina over Coulson. Both Woolfenden and Coulson have played little football and their rustiness showed and it was a risk to play both on the same side today.

I was totally confident of a win today, but that was assuming we had Burns and Donacien available, it was a completely different story once the line up was revealed. We scored a good early goal and missed plenty of other chances but we never really got a foothold in the game with Woolf giving the ball away a lot and too many long balls forward not falling for us. Morsy and Evans battled in midfield, Morsy is a tough competitor but he does at least know when to cool it after getting a yellow card. Nsiala and Edmundson were good at the back, I like Edmundson more and more, he's very comfortable in all situations.

The strikers couldn't get into the match, starved of decent service until Celina came on, who brightened up the game. With Plymouth sitting back late on, Bersant got on the ball a lot, although he was quite central a lot of the time. There were some good chances made but some equally poor finishing, Edwards and Harper both fluffing their lines.

It wasn't to be today, I think Cook was a bit limited on covering the right hand side due to injury/sickness but I also think he could have done something different with the players who did travel.