1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Plymouth away…

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Buckyohare, Oct 29, 2021.

1. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

No it doesn't, we were nowhere near full strength today and it showed, that's it. Having Burns/Aluko and Donacien would have been completely different. <ok>

2. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Have to mention, ref was terrible today.

3. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I wasn't over confident. Plymouth weren't fantastic today, they did have the luck of playing against our right hand side though, which made all the difference. That was a game that I think we would have won if we had our regular right sided players on the pitch.

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

So we are two players short of our first XI and we can’t win?

I’m not really buying that.

We should have good options in every area to cover all the eventualities.

We are still doing the rebuilding job - we have got some of the right pegs in the right holes now - it was unfortunate to put this side out against a top side whether there is blame attached to that or not. When we lose two right backs we should give an opportunity to the next in line U23 right back and they should be prepared. As simple as that in my view.

5. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

So we were going to win 3-0, then lose 3-0 and now we should have Been just fine after all despite the changes…I don’t understand!

6. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

You can't make all the changes you would wish when the squad has traveled to Devon, Cook was limited with his choices if I have it right. We were weak down the right today. Woolfenden gave possession away too many times and played it safe more often than not, he looked like a player whose main aim was to not make a mistake. Coulson was off the pace and did little but not his fault. We would have had too much for Plymouth if we had our regular line up. If we were at home I don't think we would've seen that right hand side.

So yes, two players out, both on the same side, the side where a big majority of our threat comes from meant we struggled today. Not really bothered if you're buying it or not, I saw the effect it had <ok>

7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

What difference does it make if we are in Suffolk or Devon? You can’t expect the starting XI to make it through 90 minutes whether or not there are problems before the match kicks off.

8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Is that a serious question?

You do realise we don't take every squad member to away matches, right? You can't be prepared for every eventuality on the road like you can when you're at home.

I can't believe I've actually wasted some of my day bringing that to your attention <doh>

9. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Ok, confirmed. Burns and Donacien were pulled out of the squad THIS MORNING due to illness.

Guess people like Hampy think we should've had a helicopter ready to bring KVY down to Devon.

Bigalreigned likes this.
  10. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I think we need to manage our expectations,with a reduced squad due to last minute illness and against a poor referee we narrowly lost to the League leaders.I still feel we’ll push for a challenge to the playoffs and with that as a base we’ll kick on next Season.

11. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I don't expect us to go up this season, and haven't since before it started. I am seeing enough now from the starting team to not fear anybody in the league. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we can win every match or something stupid like that but we are getting to a point where we should be able to focus on what we are doing, not worrying about what the other team is doing. We have enough attacking threat that teams will have to pay attention to it when they play us, it would take a brave manager to just go gung ho against us.

12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Are you seriously, seriously telling me that out of 7 subs plus a handful of reserves that we have at our disposal these days we can't cover these players?

You can plan for a lot of things that are unlikely to happen. You can certainly plan for each player to get injured before 90 minutes is up and need replacing.

Of course, Paul Cook DID know he needed cover for these players and decided that this line up would do and he'd hope for the best.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  13. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

I’ve said previously that it is going to be exciting watching us this season (makes a change to the last few seasons) but ultimately I think we’ll finish somewhere between 8th and 12th. We’ve now dropped 18 points from winning positions which is a shocking record. It’s not the players but rather their game management that has to be called into question. Knowing when to go for the jugular and when to be a bit more cautious. If we go in 1-0 in front at 1/2 time today, do Plymouth come back but we gave them a boost and they came out and won the game. Individual mistakes both physical and mental are costing us at present

14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

We are shaky at the back with our best line up. We're the top scorers in the division but that is covering a multitude of sins at the opposite end. There will always be the odd mistake but this frequency is just a symptom of bad organisation, positioning, coaching and lack of leadership on the pitch.

Southcoastoldgaffer and itfcptc like this.
  15. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Earlier in the season this could have been a rout in Plymouths favour. 1-2 is respectable.

Bigger picture, Lack of a plan B I think is a valid point, both in overall strategy and individual game management. But I also think there's a hint of "Grass is Always Greener". We have a team that's built and trained to Attack. Much of it still seems to be individual and there's still bits to develop to ensure attack is actually best form of defence.
    It feels like we're just about reaching Sum of our parts, and the whole equation is disrupted with last minute absences. Whether Cook and the coaching staff can make the squad more than sum of its parts will dictate if/how/when promotion comes.