1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Plymouth Sport ???

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My ears pricked up whilst listening to the Bristol City v West Ham commentary.

The talk was about the Bristol City owner spending millions on upgrading Ashton Gate to a 27000 stadium......one end of the ground at present is a building site as they rebuild the stadium.

But the thing that was really interesting was that the owner was heading a set-up that was pulling other sports into a company called Bristol Sport and being run under one umbrella, that included Football Rugby etc.....cannot remember the other sports that came under his control......but it sounded so different from the hotch potch that is in Plymouth at present......there was talk of £50 million being invested overall.....where you listening Mr Brent......it sounded quite professional not the disaster that is happening before our very eyes in Plymouth at present.

Although years back City had been in the old top division.....DIV 1.......they are saying now that they are the biggest City that has never been in the Premiership.......and technically that is correct.....so they are really pushing to change that situation.

They want to be Englands premier sports city with many sports being taken to the top of national success.......good grief where the hell does that leave Plymouth and it's football,rugby and other city sports.......drowning in Plymouth Sound comes too mind.

DID ANYONE ELSE HEAR THIS ON BBC1 THIS AFTERNOON........AND WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT IT AND HOW MANY LIGHT YEARS ARE WE AWAY FROM SUCH A SITUATION DEVELOPING IN PLYMOUTH........it left me quite depressed to be honest.....when you thing of the disaster that administration brought and the present state of Albion......the ice rink situation etc etc.

The one success in Plymouth at present is it's Swimming/Diving set-up.....even though the poster boy as moved up to the Olympic Games complex in East London.

2. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Yes Plym, i seen their owner being interviewed and correct all sports and women Football and Rugby also involved. He said their ladies were in the champions league..
    We have a long long way to go.. i doubt it will ever happen here. Brent has not the same interest or funds. He could well do it and make a go of it, if he got the other sports involved. It is needed here as in a few years there will be no sport in the city the way its heading..

Good luck to Bristol and they played well.. unlucky to lose.. a draw would have been fair.. that is the cup.. we need to try and get going down here before it is to late.. :D

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I would ask one question only on the above and yes I did hear at least part of the interview. The question is why the outside world seems to think the UK ends at Bristol and the rest of the it is just a small part tagged on. There are no rich enough people out there who want to invest in a part of the country so isolated as this. There is your difference straight away. Also would point out that Bristol is starting from a much bigger and better position than Plymouth would be so the investment there would perhaps not seem such a risk.