1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Plymouth v Sunderland – Saturday 1st May 2021 - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Apr 29, 2021.

?

Your Prediction

Poll closed May 1, 2021.
  1. Home win (PAFC)

18.5%
  2. Away win (SAFC)

69.2%
  3. Draw

10.8%
  4. Meh - sack them all

1.5%
  1. Football Dinosaur

Football Dinosaur Well-Known Member

Problem is there's no centre halves to come back really as flannagan Is a liability. I still blame him for Charlton his "defending" for their goal was shocking. Whoever we play we'll have to take game to them. Nig getting ahead too much though semis will be very tough no matter who it's against.

2. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

Absolutely right mate. The relegation places have all been decided today, so there will be no one whinging that we've played an under strength team.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  3. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

love the fighting talk ,you sound like Nelson before Trafalgar ( I see nowt out there to be scared of Hardy )

Gatesy and Bank of England 2 like this.
  4. Robref62

Robref62 Well-Known Member

17/18 days rest depending on where we finish.

5. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Plymouth Argyle 1-3 Sunderland AFC
    Sunderland clinched their place in the Sky Bet League One Play-Offs following a 3-1 win at Plymouth Argyle on Saturday.
    Ross Stewart opened the scoring and goalkeeper Mike Cooper could arguably have done more to deny the January signing, but he responded with a flurry of fine saves to deny the Lads a deserved second.
    Lee Burge was also in tip-top form and his finest moment came when Danny Major drilled a low effort towards the corner, with Lee Johnson’s side controlling the second 45 and laying siege to the Argyle backline.
    Ryan Lowe’s side refused to go away, though, and they were rewarded when Joe Edwards popped up at the back post to head home after the hour mark.
    A second yellow card saw Jerome Opoku dismissed immediately after, with Chris Maguire and Stewart both striking the woodwork as time ticked away.
    Sunderland’s dominance was eventually rewarded, though, as the former’s penalty sealed three points before Denver Hume added a third.
    Johnson made several changes to the starting XI at Home Park, as Conor McLaughlin, Jack Diamond and Stewart lined up against Argyle.
    Aiden McGeady missed out due to swelling on his foot, and a broken nose, with Charlie Wyke also unavailable for selection due to a thigh issue.
    The Lads registered the first attempt at goal with five minutes played, as Bailey Wright’s thunderous effort was blocked in close-quarters at the back post.
    Sunderland led with 21 minutes on the clock, as Stewart latched on to Lynden Gooch’s ball and held off his man before rolling a low finish beyond Cooper.
    Niall Ennis could have levelled soon after when the Lads failed to clear their lines, but the forward scuffed his finish from eight yards to ensure the advantage remained intact.
    The Black Cats continued to threaten at the other end and Cooper was once again forced into action after 36 minutes, pushing Gooch’s thunderous effort away moments after Jordan Jones blazed over.
    Chances continued to fall before the break, but despite Max Power slotting wide and Cooper clawing another Gooch effort against the post – either side of Burge producing an excellent stop to deny Major – it remained 1-0 at the interval.
    Johnson made one change at the break, as Carl Winchester replaced McLaughlin and Power reverted to right-back.
    The Lads threatened following the restart and a dangerous cross was narrowly diverted over the crossbar by a Plymouth defender, with Ryan Laws collecting a yellow card shortly after for a cynical challenge on Diamond.
    Cooper continued to star for the home side and he denied Stewart and Winchester in quick succession, prior to the latter spearing a low 25-yard strike just past the post.
    With 63 minutes on the clock, Plymouth’s refusal to be put away was rewarded when Edwards headed home at the back post to level.
    Sunderland rallied and Opoku was dismissed before Maguire sent the resulting free-kick against the crossbar with his first touch of the ball.
    Stewart then followed suit and headed against the woodwork on what looked like being a frustrating afternoon for the Lads, but an emphatic penalty from Maguire with six minutes remaining restored the lead.
    Hume wrapped things up in added time, burying a simple finish after Gooch was denied to secure the Black Cats’ place in the top six.
    : Cooper (McCormick 85), Edwards, Opoku, Watts, Law, Camara (Reeves 85), Grant, Fornah, Mayor, Hardie (Lolos 63), Ennis (Tomlinson 68).
    Su: Moore, Jephcott, Craske.
    Sunderland AFC: Burge, McLaughlin (Winchester 45), Wright, Power, Gooch, O’Nien, Scowen (Leadbitter 88), Diamond (Maguire 65), Jones, Hume, Stewart (O’Brien 88).
    Substitutes: Matthews, McFadzean, Younger.
    https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2021/april/may/lads-secure-plymouth-win

6. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

well, not quite the 2nd half i expected, gooch with an excellent first half went missing a bit (think they might have marked him out?) but came back at the end with the penalty...the sending off changed things of course and argyle were never going to offer a serious threat afterwards so basing a lot on that first half here.

shame gooch was not able to carry on as he did 1st half as i thought he had them all over, best game from him for a while though.

hume looked back to his best, got up the pitch well, passed the ball/linked play well and got some juicy crosses in, capped by his goal.

kept my eye on winchester when he came on and to be honest he kept himself useful across the pitch, nowt spectacular and maybe needed a little bit of luck in front of goal but not as bad as some have made him out to be.

probably the best we have looked against ten men, most times we have looked edgy and 'lost' but kept the pressure going, maybe a tad lucky with the penalty but we hit the woodwork 3 (or was it 4?) times plus one or two decent shots just wide...as already said we got that bit of luck that has deserted us in recent weeks.

final word, not shocked to see wyke and mcgeady dropped, get them rested for the play offs...but on this showing i have to say i felt a lot happier with stewart leading the line, got to more balls hit up to him, brought more into play around him and took his goal very well, looked faster and more eager than wyke has of late and if he has to start for the play offs i would not be worried.

7. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

We won't fear any team either they will be up for it would rather play Pompey or Oxford in the semi's Blackpool/Lincoln in the final, i hope Mcgeady and Wyke are there though, and can we bring Messi in on loan.

8. Bank of England 2

Hopefully McLaughlin going off was precautionary. He makes a difference. Mind, I wouldn't have said that about him last season.
    Younger should be given a proper chance. Our midfield has been weakened by being without 09 and Power. We need square pegs in square holes.

Stewart's performance today has given LJ food for thought. See how he does next week. Goochy looks to be coming back into form at just the right time.

9. Football Dinosaur

Football Dinosaur Well-Known Member

Well they all know whats expected and whats required. A lot of these players have been promoted from this league before and some missed out 2 years ago. As I said we need to attack teams as we don't have the defenders to be cagey imo. Connor Mac is important as you say but Wright has to stay fit too or we'd be looking at playing Younger who's had no games to speak of to this point.

Robertson and Bank of England 2 like this.
  10. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Distinct lack of WUMs today :emoticon-0158-time:
    - wonder why

11. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Only one man to blame for that and its not Younger, he is a superb player, who must be very demoralised by his treatment, I know I would be.

12. clockstander

I'm still here. <laugh>

RTB and Makemstine Roger like this.
  13. Bank of England 2

I definitely agree with the attack philosophy. Our defence are prone to bloopers when put under pressure, so we need to stretch the opposition at the other end. Stewart led the line very well today, and we got players around him.

Younger should have had more game time. He has looked useful when called upon. Having the experience of McLaughlin and Wright alongside him should settle him. I wouldn't have Flanagan anywhere near.

Having 09 back in midfield will be a big bonus too.

14. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

I’m just pleased we’ve made the play offs
    The way we’ve played lately

Dorset, Robertson and Draig like this.
  15. Bank of England 2

Particularly after being ignored when McLaughlin went off today.

16. clockstander

Its shocking the way he has been overlooked, I can't understand it, if this coach thinks Flanagan is the answer, I chuck supporting this club until hes fired.

17. Bank of England 2

Why bother having him on the bench, if you're not going to use him when a defender goes off injured? It makes no sense. Flanagan is a liability and I hope has played his last game for us.

18. malagamackem

malagamackem Well-Known Member

Glad you were wrong. I actually like Ross. He looks like a plank but he is quite rapid and has a good positional sense

19. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

I recommend using a sock.

20. Robref62

Robref62 Well-Known Member

I've got them all on ignore.

RTB, spirit of 73 and Sunderpitt like this.