1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Plymouth v Sunderland – Saturday 1st May 2021 - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Apr 29, 2021.

?

Your Prediction

Poll closed May 1, 2021.
  1. Home win (PAFC)

18.5%
  2. Away win (SAFC)

69.2%
  3. Draw

10.8%
  4. Meh - sack them all

1.5%
  1. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

The response of you, me and every normal SAFC fan to misery guts...

2. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

No. We’re only to other fans, and stats, when they back up his argument. Just like the Stendel ppg argument etc!

Ozzymac likes this.
  3. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Mag wum.

Mick Sterbs, Nacho and marcusblackcat like this.
  4. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

No chance of going up but i still buy my season card on the hope of.

5. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

I've had enough !

This has been a very good thread, as usual, which is being ruined by an idiot who has (probably deliberately) made it all about himself, again :undecided:

On behalf of the Sunderland fans amongst us . . . . <sorry> RTB

He will ruin it no more . . . . and if he starts the same next week he won't be allowed to contribute on that one either, although I'm thinking about prevention rather than cure at the moment.

Snaggey, Dorset, FTM Dave and 6 others like this.
  6. Brainman

Brainman Well-Known Member

Well somebody got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning. <laugh>
    I’m a happy bunny this morning.
    Second jab yesterday, a win and I dreamt about deferred tax all night. :emoticon-0170-ninja

7. rb92

rb92 Well-Known Member

Couldn’t watch or listen to the game because I was driving to Northumberland. Delighted to see we had won though. Was the performance much improved?

8. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

I have spent a lot of time in Amble and Beadnell....loved it.

As to our performance and win, attckingplay was good and could/should have scored more in the first half, (Stewart was a lot better than I thought he would be) they had a player sent off and we had a penalty...so the gods were with us.

Defence was shaky again.. which does not auger well for the play offs as we will be facing better teams with good attacking capabilites than Plymouth. Jones was defending and his man got in an easy header. Hume maybe could have done better for the goal but he was marking another player. Burge may a couple of great saves.

clockstander likes this.
  9. rb92

rb92 Well-Known Member

Funnily enough we are actually in Beadnell now for the week, the dog is on his first proper holiday. <laugh>

Just watched the highlights and we hit the post / bar three times. We seem to have a penchant for hitting the woodwork at the moment, hopefully those fine margins go our way in the play offs.

10. Bigmackem

Bigmackem Well-Known Member

So who can we attract , who would you appoint ? , are you sure they would come ? , we all need to be patient the new owner has came in and made some really good appointments looking to the future . When LJ was appointed we were eleventh in the league McGeady was training with the under twenty threes , probably to an extent the team over achieved by almost reaching the automatic places but we are in the play offs with the chance of another Wembley appearance and promotion . I think you have to be realistic in your short term expectations as I don’t think many people are writing LJ off as a dreadful appointment , given the injuries I actually think he has done well to get us to the play offs !

11. Sunderpitt

Yeah... some posters may well be mags or just idiots and need to be put on ignore i reckon.

Notwithstanding that, I agree defenders injuries have caught up with us... I think we were lucky as Sanderson was outstanding and he and 09 formed a good partnership. Bailey and 09 not so much, imho Sanderson was a big lad and good in the air, also was not bullied by big lumps of strikers. Gooch has surprised me with his excellent defensive covering but Jones is not so good.
    I do wonder if we should look at 3 CBs, and two WBs to shore up the defence. Our strikers seem capable of scoring so we just need to keep clean sheets!

12. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Serious question, why do you think he is not universally popular in spite of his success, considering he took over from the most unpopular manager the club has appointed since Howard Wilkinson.

13. LBW

LBW Well-Known Member

Good win, all about building confidence now, go and thrash Northampton next week and we set ourselves up nicely for the play offs. I like that we proved we can win easily without Wyke & McGeady as well. We are only months into a new beginning it will take time to slow the slide, it’s took me a couple of weeks to realise that and it’s purely down to frustration at our late season collapse, we will win the play offs anyway

14. Sunderpitt

Nobody is universally popular... perverse idiots in particular seem to enjoy the freedom on anonymity of the Internet to express their inner bile.

Not that LJ is beyond criticism... Winchester may be one of them...he cannot be blamed for all the injuries to our recognised defenders...but maybes he tinkers with formation and selection too much. Although a lot if that is due to having to make do and mend the defence.

Wyke and Mcgeady are 2 big plus points.

However he will now be judged on the result of the play offs, we had a sniff of automatic promotion, that collapsed cos we give goals away.

Would I keep him as manager next season where ever we ended up. I would not just make a random change, if say Fat Sam and Super Kev came in..yep he's gone. But for another similar manager no.

Makemstine Roger and SAFCDRUM like this.
  15. Mick Sterbs

Mick Sterbs Well-Known Member

But if we’re successful how will you feed your misery. I bet you’re a joy to be around, light up the room and all that.

Personally I think you’re on a wind up. You’ve got all the classic phrases in your posts, “hope I’m proved wrong “, “I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong”, “no one wants us to succeed more than me” etc.

There’s a few of you on here who constantly complain even when we’re doing well, it gets a reaction and that’s what you crave. Never see a positive post or positive score prediction even when we’re flying. Constantly banging on about ppg versus Parkinson’s ppg when there’s hardly a difference but you’re aware that Parky was hated so you hope to get a reaction from that.

So if you’re not here just to wind people up then you’re naturally a miserable sod who can’t ever get excited about stuff in case you end up disappointed or you’re just a young kid who’s always had his own way and can’t stand not having everything you want, when you want it.

Ozzymac, clockstander, Draig and 3 others like this.
  16. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

It seems to me that its only a small number of people who don't like him. Most seem to be willing to give him time.
    Why do I think there are some that don't like him? People are naturally conservative (note the small c), they are wary of the unfamiliar. Johnson does not fit the football manager stereotype and the new club structure is based on a continental model which is not often used here. Therefore, people unfamiliar with these things are sceptical. In addition, there are many people who would have preferred a more 'traditional' English manager, like Nigel Pearson, and they wish to be proved right.
    Here's another genuine question, the lack of u23 players making it in to the first team aside, why are you so opposed to a progressive manager using the latest techniques and approaches?

17. Blyth_bucaneer

Blyth_bucaneer Well-Known Member

He is clearly playing the long game, a definite WUM. It seems to me that his objectives are to post controversial claptrap that is within the site rules, with the goal of seeking maximum attention whilst getting other users into trouble or even banned.
    Seen it all before over da road.

18. Drumburgh1

Drumburgh1 Well-Known Member

Think the fact that no fans have been at a game for over a year is not helping. When you watch the game at the stadium you can see what's happening all over the pitch and can see how the team us set-up and the movement off the ball this greater depth can lead to much better judgement of the play and the performance and the progression or regression a team is making.

I don't think Parkinson would have lasted long into this season if fans had been in the ground - as the crowd would have been on the boards back which would have fed through to the manager getting the bullet to take the pressure off them.

19. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

20. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

But some people don't even watch the games and feel obliged to spout negativity to suit their agenda.