Off Topic PNE News

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Sep 13, 2017.

  1. themaclad

    themaclad Well-Known Member

    Jan 24, 2011
    Likes Received:
    Salford City U18 1 PNE U18 3

    please log in to view this image

    PNE U18 sealed a comeback win with three second half goals away at Salford City.

    The hosts drew first blood with an overhead kick which gave them the lead at the break, but a Jacob Holland-Wilkinson brace turned the game on its head.

    Aaron Bennett added to the scoreline to make it five unbeaten for the young Lilywhites in March.

    There were three changes to the team from last weekend’s 3-3 draw at Shrewsbury, as Lewis Coulton, Vaughn Green and a returning Harry Huddart slotted into the starting line-up.

    A scrappy opening saw both sides competing to get a hold of the ball and push into their respective attacking thirds.

    Captain for the day Noah Mawene attempted to get into the channels and found success from doing so, winning a free kick just outside the right side of the box.

    Bennett dinked it to the far post and Joe Blanchard flicked it back across, but it was dealt with well by the hosts.

    They went up the other end up and secured a corner, from which the opener was scored. The ball into the box wasn’t cleared and it fell to the centre half, who converted an acrobatic effort with 20 minutes gone.

    North End sought an instant response and nearly struck back straight away when Josh Seary was played through and shot over the bar.

    Seary had a clearer chance when Mawene picked him out in the box, but he could only place his strike straight at Brad Rose in the Salford goal.

    An equaliser looked increasingly likely as the victors continued to press. Bennett went agonisingly close when his effort rolled just past the post.

    Just before half-time Coulton whipped a teasing cross in from the left, but no one could get on the end of it.

    The young Lilywhites did draw level shortly after the interval when Green sprinted down the left and crossed to Holland-Wilkinson, who finished first-time.

    Both sides hit the woodwork following the goal. First, Ben Finley’s low shot bounced off the post and across the face to safety, and then Green’s fierce strike hit the outside of the upright at the other end.

    The first change for North End saw Jacob Slater replace Coulton.

    Salford nearly had success from a corner once more when a floated ball in caused danger in the six-yard box. Oliver Lombard appeared to be fouled but play continued and the goalkeeper recovered well to stop the eventual shot on the line.

    That save proved to be crucial as Holland-Wilkinson completed the comeback soon after. The striker’s initial shot was blocked but the ball bounced back to him and he made no mistake at the second time of asking from inside the box.

    Salford had barely recovered when PNE hit them with another blow. Bennett was played in and took a couple of touches before firing in off the post from just outside the box to make it two in two minutes.

    North End defended their lead well and looked the more likely to score the fifth goal. Holland-Wilkinson had the opportunity to secure his hat-trick having cut in on his right but blazed over.

    The full-time whistle brought the young Lilywhites their fourth win in their last five, during which time they’ve scored 21 goals.

    Professional Development Phase Coach Andy Fensome put the free-scoring run down to a clinical edge in recent weeks.

    “It’s not easy to score goals and we do seem to create a lot of chances in games, it’s just now that those chances seems to be paying off,” he said.

    “It’s just a case of taking the chances when they come along. We’re sort of emphasising it, not particularly in training but we do obviously have crossing and finishing sessions and our forwards do their ILP’s and our midfield players take chances.

    “It is good that the goals are getting shared around but when the ball goes into the box, we want people in and around it.”

    Fensome believes the side recovered well from a poor start which saw them having to fight to get to grips with the game.

    “It was a bit of a scrappy game, especially the first half. We didn’t start particularly well and for the opening 20 minutes I thought we were a bit slow and didn’t play to what we had talked about.

    “[We were] a little bit sloppy which sort of gave them the impetus with the wind and put ourselves under a bit of pressure.

    “Then the next 20 minutes we got a foothold in the game, started to pass the ball better, created some chances and caused them problems and that’s the main thing.

    “What we’ve said to the lads is you’ve got to have resilience, you’ve got to show resilience. Obviously we want the results but performances are important.”

    The U18s will be looking to round off an unbeaten month when they travel to Carlisle on Tuesday, which Fensome reckons will present a different kind of task.

    “It’ll be very challenging,” he added. “It’s a team that will play another sort of set way. They’ll be sort of direct and have big, physically strong lads and our players have to be able to cope with that.

    “That’s the biggest thing for me – we have to be able to cope with the demands that other teams put on us, and be able to emphasise our good points of play, which is our passing, our pattern of play, the movement that we have at times.

    “That comes from having to battle and winning the ball back in the first place. It’s good to go into the game off the back of another win, but it’s also good that the lads are becoming a bit more resilient in the games now.”

    PNE line-up: Lombard, Nicholson, Coulton (Slater 60'), Dooley, Huddart, Blanchard, Seary, Mawene, Holland-Wilkinson, Bennett, Green.

    Subs not used: Duggan, Mfuni, Lewis
    barnetpne likes this.
  2. themaclad

    themaclad Well-Known Member

    Jan 24, 2011
    Likes Received:
    Doug Holden dies aged 90 played in 64 Cup Final
  3. themaclad

    themaclad Well-Known Member

    Jan 24, 2011
    Likes Received:
    Oldham Athletic U18 2 PNE U18 4

    please log in to view this image

    Preston North End U18s picked up a vital three points away from home on Saturday as they defeated North West Youth Alliance League opponents Oldham Athletic 4-2.

    Goals from Jacob Holland-Wilkinson, Kyi Nicholson, Noah Mawene and Mikey O’Neil completed a second half turnaround from the young Lilywhites, as they got back to much-needed winning ways.

    There were three changes to the side from last weekend's visit defeat to Bolton Wanderers as Josh Seary, Lewis Coulton and Harry Nevin returned to the side – the latter making his first start since November after recovering from a long-term injury.

    It was the hosts who started off the brighter of the two sides and they took the lead on five minutes after Ben Hough’s cross was glanced on by Isaac Modi – despite his best efforts, Oliver Lombard was unable to keep the looping header out.

    The Latics almost added a second moments later through Modi again, this time Lombard won the battle of the two and managed to keep the forward's close-range strike from crossing the line.

    It was not until the 27th minute that North End started to assert their authority on the game – Ben Dooley was becoming more influential on the ball and Nicholson had a curling effort flash just wide of the post.

    In additional time at the end of the first half, Dooley made a bursting run into the box before being brought down for a spot kick. Holland-Wilkinson stepped up and coolly converted the ball past Mackenzie Chapman in the Oldham goal, seeing the sides enter the break level.

    The second half began much like the first, bursting straight into life with yet another early goal, this time from James Simms, who tapped in from inside the six-yard box after the ball ricocheted off Lombard and straight back to the forward who couldn’t miss.

    Oldham almost had daylight in the tie only to be denied by North Ends No.1 – diving low to keep out Hough on 51 minutes.

    The move of the match came after 53 minutes when Dooley latched onto some loose defending from the Latics before releasing a pass to Mawene. He assisted Nicholson, who made no mistake in finishing the impressive move, sliding the ball into the bottom right corner.

    The first substitutions of the game were made just on the hour mark as Vani Da Silva and Joseph Edwards were replaced by Jake Forshaw and Harry Vaughan for the home side.

    The changes only seemed to motivate North End more as they completed the comeback to make it 3-2 on 62 minutes. Mawene was picked out by Holland-Wilkinson and he buried the chance on the volley from inside the box. It wasn’t an easy finish, but he certainly made it look that way.

    With the scoreline a delicate one at 3-2, the away side remained positive and a change of formation and shape for the Lilywhites saw defender Harry Nevin replaced by O’Neil.

    Just 30 seconds after entering the field of play, O’Neill had the ball in the back of the net after converting a cross from a corner, much to the delight of the coaches on the sideline, who helped play a part in the super-sub’s fast and effective contribution.

    Holland-Wilkinson and Nicholson went close to making it five for PNE but neither could keep their shots down and on target.

    The final change of the match with five minutes remaining when Lewis Coulton was replaced by Vaughn Green.

    A big second half performance from the Lilywhites ensured they left Oldham with all three points.

    Speaking after to PNE.Com after the game, Academy manager Nick Harrison said his side's game plan didn’t change in the second half despite trailing for the majority of the opening 45 minutes.

    Nick said: “We didn’t change how we played in the second half compared to the first, the game plan didn’t change, I think second half we were just crisper with our passing and more clinical.”

    “I thought the players responded brilliantly to going a goal down in the first half and also conceding just after half time, the players really stuck to the task, believed in themselves, and created good opportunities that allowed us to go on and win the game.”

    Harrison played down credit to himself for the substitution of Mikey O’Neill that led to the fourth and final goal, insisting that full credit goes to the striker for his involvement.

    Nick said: “Its brilliant from Mikey, this is what we expect from our forward players when we send them onto the pitch, it’s to score.

    “Whether it’s with the first touch or 20th touch, we hope the players make an impact and credit to Mikey he has done that today and finished his chance nicely.”

    North End next face Rochdale away in the North West Youth Alliance League on Tuesday afternoon.

    PNE U18 line-up: Lombard; Seary, Nevin (O'Neil, 69), Blanchard, Coulton (Green, 85); Huddart, Leigh; Nicholson, Mawene, Dooley; Holland-Wilkinson.

    Subs not used: Mfuni, Duggan, Bennett.

    Referee: Mr K Hum.
  4. themaclad

    themaclad Well-Known Member

    Jan 24, 2011
    Likes Received:
    PNE U18 3 Rochdale AFC U18 1

    please log in to view this image

    Preston North End got back to winning ways after beating Rochdale 3-1 during Saturday's North West Youth Alliance league clash.

    Goals from Noah Mawene, Jacob Holland-Wilkinson and Joe Rodwell-Grant ensured the lilywhites avenged their midweek defeat to the same opposition with a more clinical performance today.

    Before kick-off, a minute's silence was observed by all in attendance in respect of the passing of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

    The sides were facing each other for the second time in the space of four days, with two changes to the North End XI that narrowly lost out in midweek; Josh Seary and Noah Mawene returning to the starting fold, while Joe Rodwell-Grant was back from injury and on the bench for the first time in a month.

    It was North End who started the brighter of the two teams when a lapse in concentration led to a mix-up in the defence for Rochdale – Noah Mawene had the easy task of heading home into an empty net to put the hosts 1-0 up.

    The visitors responded well to going behind and almost drew the game level five minutes after the restart – Lombard producing his first save of the match with a blocked leg.

    Moments later and North End were back in control, first as Mawene made a mazy run, dribbling past two Dale defenders before dragging a shot just wide of the post. Ben Dooley had a similar situation seconds later, but unfortunately, he couldn’t convert.

    As the first half entered its closing stages, Rochdale began to threaten the PNE goal and almost levelled the scores just before the break, only to be denied by a sliding last-ditch challenge by Harry Nevin – The Irishman continuing his impressive comeback from injury.

    The start of the second half saw the first change of the game when left back Lewis Coulton was replaced by Wales youth international Aaron Bennett on 50 minutes, and the substitute almost made an instant impact when he collected the ball in a dangerous area, but his strike was straight at The Dale No.1.

    PNE did secure a two-goal cushion on 56 minutes when Holland-Wilkinson tapped the ball into an empty net after impressive link-up play by Bennett, who squared it across the box for his team-mate, leaving the ‘keeper with no chance.

    It looked like North End were about to secure all three points just 30 seconds later when the in-form Holland-Wilkinson went through on goal - this time, the ‘keeper won the battle between the two.

    After an eventful 10 minutes since coming on as a substitute, Bennett was forced off due to injury and replaced by Mikey O’Neill.

    Rochdale managed to pull a goal back on 65 minutes after a teasing cross was met by the Dale forward who powered a header into the top corner, giving the visitors some hope of a late comeback, despite PNE's dominance.

    Moments later, Kyi Nicholson found space on the right wing before chopping inside and attempting a lob that almost caught the goalkeeper out, but fortunately for the Rochdale shot stopper it sailed just over the bar.

    A final Lilywhites change saw Ben Dooley replaced by Joe-Rodwell Grant on 76 minutes, and it took just ten minutes for the substitute to impact the game, and quite a big one it was. The forward made no mistake when he went through one-on-one with the goalkeeper, calmly slotting the ball into the bottom corner.

    An impressive display by the young Lilywhites ensured they picked up all three points this time around against Rochdale, avenging for Tuesday's narrow defeat.

    Speaking to PNE.Com after the game, Nick Harrison praised his players after a ‘much better performance’ against Rochdale, following on from the midweek defeat to the same side.

    Nick said: “It was a much better performance today, we had a lot of players come back into the team that were absent from Tuesday’s game, which helped us, and the surface was different, I think it suited us more.

    “On Tuesday, we conceded four poor goals, today we were much better defensively. We also played some really good football in parts. Of course, I’m pleased with the performance of the team, along with the result.”

    Despite facing the same team twice in a week, Harrison said his team's approach to the game never changed.

    Nick said: “It was different for us because we normally don’t play the same team so close together but the approach to the game was the same, we challenged the players in training as we always do.

    “We talked about where we went wrong in the previous game and made sure we were better today and you could see that, we encouraged the players to get on the ball and create opportunities which enabled us to go on and win the game.”

    PNE U18 line-up: Lombard; Seary, Nevin, Blanchard, Coulton (Bennett, 50 (O'Neill, 60)); Huddart, Dooley (Rodwell-Grant, 76); Nicholson, Mawene (c), Leigh; Holland-Wilkinson.

    Subs not used: Mfuni, Duggan.

    Referee: Mr M Clarke.
  5. themaclad

    themaclad Well-Known Member

    Jan 24, 2011
    Likes Received:
    PNE U18 4 Tranmere Rovers U

    please log in to view this image

    A late Tranmere Rovers equaliser forced the youth team to settle for a draw in a thrilling eight-goal season-concluder at Springfields.

    The young Lilywhites took the lead from the spot through Joe Rodwell-Grant and despite being pegged back they went into the break in front thanks to Noah Mawene’s tap-in on the stroke of half-time.

    Jacob Holland-Wilkinson added another before the visitors fought back to make it 3-3, then Mawene’s second of the morning looked to have won it for North End, but it was spoils shared come the final whistle.

    The line-up for the final match of the 2020/21 campaign was unchanged from last time out against Walsall.

    Rodwell-Grant was making himself a nuisance for the Tranmere defence in the early going, backing into the opposition and winning a free kick which Lewis Leigh put over.

    The striker should’ve got the opener when Holland-Wilkinson picked him out from the right, but the goalkeeper somehow saved his effort from a few yards out.

    The hosts came even closer to going ahead when Lewis Coulton whipped an inch-perfect cross to the back post and Mawene headed onto the post. The ball came out to Holland-Wilkinson who opted to square it to Rodwell-Grant, but the defender intercepted.

    Just before the half-hour mark Ben Dooley picked up on a loose touch from a wayward goal kick and pushed into the box, prompting the centre half to chop him down and the referee to award a penalty.

    Rodwell-Grant stepped up and sent James Dinley the wrong way, placing the ball into the bottom right corner.

    The PNE frontline continued to flirt with the Tranmere goalmouth and Holland-Wilkinson’s snapshot volley struck the bar and looped over.

    It had been one-way traffic for most of the opening 45 but Tranmere found a leveller as half-time approached. A low cross from the left went all the way across the pitch, where Dee Rhami picked it up and took a shot which deflected in.

    They nearly completed the turnaround when Keyni Mills broke clear, but his low effort went just wide of the left post.

    It was North End who made it 2-1, though. Leigh played the ball over the top to Holland-Wilkinson, who cut inside and, in the process, nutmegged the defender before curling an effort towards the top right corner. The shot was saved, but the rebound fell to Mawene and he took a touch before passing it into the net.

    Tranmere got inventive after the break as they looked to get back into it, deploying a free kick technique which involved the two players stood over the ball pretending to both go to take it, before quickly crossing whilst looking at each other bemused. Their efforts were in vain though, as Ethan Gouldbourne headed over.

    Holland-Wilkinson drew his side further ahead, tapping into an empty net from Dooley’s cutback after the midfielder had rounded the ‘keeper.

    The two-goal lead didn’t last long, however. Mills once again broke clear and this time the striker did find the target, firing in at the front post.

    The first change for the young Lilywhites saw Mikey O’Neil replace Harry Huddart.

    Another chance went begging when Holland-Wilkinson stole the ball off Dinley and played it to Mawene, who took too much time to make his mind up on whether to shoot or pass, and his eventual ball to Rodwell-Grant was intercepted.

    The missed chances caught up with the home side and another Tranmere break brought the game level once more. Oliver Lombard saved from Ryan Stratulis’ stinging shot, but Cameron Ferguson was on hand to head home the rebound.

    Neither side held back as they searched for another goal. Rodwell-Grant’s deflected shot hit the bar, and a minute later Lombard produced an impressive double save at the other end.

    Mawene looked certain to score again when he rode a challenge and had a clear sight of goal, but his shot was blocked and it bounced off a couple of bodies before going for a corner.

    Leigh floated the set-piece to the back post and Mawene made no mistake this time, powering his header into the top corner to make it 4-3.

    Two more changes were made after the goal, with Dana Amaral and Jacob Slater coming on for Dooley and Holland-Wilkinson.

    It looked as though the three points were secured, but it wasn’t to be. The ball was cut back from the left to the edge of the box and substitute John James got on the end of it and shot low for his side’s third equaliser of the match.

    O’Neil went agonisingly close to scoring the game’s ninth goal in added time when his curling left-footed shot was heading for the top left corner, but Dinley got his fingertips on it and diverted it onto the post.

    The full-time whistle brought the conclusion of a nonstop, relentless contest, and also the season for PNE U18.

    Speaking after the match, Academy manager Nick Harrison said: “We’re obviously disappointed to draw the game, but we’re pleased with how we performed in the game because I thought we dominated it.

    “We passed the ball well, opened Tranmere up and when they were sat deep, we created some good chances. We showed some real quality. What we didn’t do enough is, we weren’t clinical.

    “We should’ve had scored seven or eight. But in terms of the result, you shouldn’t have to score seven or eight to win a game, and probably the only disappointing bit about today, and finishing the season, is that we conceded the four goals and how we conceded them. All four could’ve been avoided.

    “Ultimately, to win games, which is what football is all about, you’ve got to stop the opposition from scoring, and we just didn’t do that well enough today.”

    Reflecting on the campaign as a whole, Harrison added: “Really pleased with the season. I think the positives are that we’ve seen a lot of the younger players step up, the likes of Noah Mawene and Josh Seary, both U16 players, and we’ve seen some of the first years really develop.

    “It’s been a really difficult season with Covid and the restrictions. I think it’s been a real positive throughout the season, the way that we’ve played.

    “We’ve scored lots of goals and we’ll continue to work on that and keep developing the players, and we’re already planning and looking forward to next season.”

    PNE U18 Line-Up: Lombard, Nicholson, Coulton, Huddart (O’Neil 68), Nevin, Blanchard, Dooley (Amaral 85), Leigh, Rodwell-Grant, Mawene, Holland-Wilkinson (Slater 87)

    Subs not used: Duggan, Mfuni
  6. themaclad

    themaclad Well-Known Member

    Jan 24, 2011
    Likes Received:
    Ledson player and players player of the year
    Sinclair goal of the season
  7. themaclad

    themaclad Well-Known Member

    Jan 24, 2011
    Likes Received:
    Gallagher retired

Share This Page