1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic PNE News

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Sep 13, 2017.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Gallagher 3 game suspension

2. themaclad

please log in to view this image

Fresh from committing his future to the club, Daniel Johnson is now focused on getting in to manager Alex Neil's starting Xl.

The midfielder, who joined the club in January 2015, put pen to paper on a two-year contract extension ahead of the trip to Norwich City, and he is delighted to finally get the deal over the line.

It's been a long, ongoing conversation but I'm happy to have to have finally got it done and I want to hit the ground running now, I'm delighted.

"One of the most important things personally is that security for myself and my family to know where my future lies so I am delighted that it is done now and I want to earn my place in the team and work hard."
    With his immediate future now secure, the 25-year-old is hoping to be able to take any opportunities that come his way to ensure he is involved on a matchday.

"It is down to me to perform in training and get myself in the team and perform when I get the chance to make sure that I stay in the team. I have got a good relationship with all of the boys, it's been ok for me so far but hopefully I can get a bit more game time and get myself going.

"I don't have to think about the contract anymore, it's out of the way and it's about getting myself in the team, working hard and enjoying it with the boys.

With plenty of options for the manager in midfield, Johnson feels that will only push him and his teammates further as they compete for a starting spot.

"We have got a lot of competition for places in the team, we have brought in some really good talent and I'm really looking forward to competing for my place and I'm sure the other boys are too.
    "There are two or three players for every position at the moment, it's good for us all and I think we all enjoy that because we all push each other to get the best out of us. It's good for us as players but it's good for the manager as well to have those options.

"My aim first and foremost is to get myself in to the team and get myself going, that is the main target for me."

3. themaclad

Browne, Robinson and Burke in Republic squad for upcoming internationals

4. themaclad

Lewis Simmons and Louis Potts became the seventh and eight different scorers for the youth team this season as they beat Port Vale 3-0 in their first Youth Alliance Cup group game.

Darren Brannigan was first on the scoresheet inside the opening quarter of an hour, Simmons doubling the advantage in style with fewer than ten minutes until the break and Potts completed the scoring with 20 minutes remaining.

PNE Academy@pnefcacademy

Darren Brannigan
    @lewissimmo17

Louis Potts

The perfect start for #PNEU18 in the #YouthAllianceCup yesterday!
    #pnefc

12:26 PM - Aug 26, 2018
    After a fairly low-key start to proceedings the hosts began to take control as Jerome Jolly’s pass split open the Vale defence early on to send Potts through, only for goalkeeper Mawgan Blight to save with his feet.

Just two minutes later, North End took a 13th-minute advantage. Jolly exchanged passes with Josh Pollard down the left and crossed to Brannigan from the byline, the striker turning his defender on the edge of the six-yard box and poking into the far corner.

Joe Berks curled over from 20 yards at the other end with Tyler Williams doing well to outmuscle Maxwell Chimenes in the box moments later to prevent him from shooting.

James Cottam was forced into an important double save just before the half hour when he denied Chimenes with his feet from close range and then smothered Jack Wakefield’s rebound.

Both sides then had opportunities in quick succession as Brannigan took down Pollard’s chip into the area and shot wide on the bounce, while Hayden Campbell found Lucas Green-Birch who fired over.

The hosts finished the half strongly, boosted by Simmons’ superb effort to make it 2-0 on 37 minutes.

Jolly had miskicked Potts’ cross on the edge of the box but Brannigan salvaged the attack down the right and teed it up perfectly for Simmons at full pelt, his run culminating with a first-time curling shot which was destined for the top left corner from the moment he hit it.

Brannigan might have doubled his tally in the next attack when he stretched to get onto the end of Brian McManus’ cross but volleyed wide.

Jolly had a shot beaten away by Blight late in the half and Jack Baxter’s rebound trickled just wide.

The visitors threatened to mount a comeback early in the second half when Chimenes lashed wide of Cottam’s near post before North End resumed control.

Jolly swung wide from Jack Armer’s cross before Baxter’s effort was sent wide by Blight’s legs, Charlie Lyons having his header saved from the subsequent corner before nodding into the side netting from substitute Ethan Walker’s free-kick.

Potts made it comfortable on 70 minutes when he robbed possession from a Vale centre-back 20 yards from goal, charged into the box and finished low beyond Blight in composed fashion.

Vale substitute Nelson Aikpitanyi had a half-hearted penalty appeal dismissed while Jolly set up Potts and then Walker in the same position down the left side of the box, both missing the target.

Walker drifted inside from the left and drew a simple stop from Blight while Cottam saved Campbell’s speculative effort at the second attempt, the nearest the visitors came to reducing the deserved three-goal margin of the young Lilywhites’ fine victory.

Academy manager Nick Harrison’s only minor disappointment was that his side did not convert more of their chances on goal.

“We’re delighted to win the game because it’s a cup competition and although we’re a part of a group, we wanted to treat it like a knockout competition, so it was important that we won the game,” said Harrison.

“I thought we played well in most parts of the game and we said to the players at the end that we’re delighted they’ve kept a clean sheet as well because we haven’t done so for some time. We controlled the game, our possession was very good and we created numerous clear cut chances.
    “The players showed that they really wanted to win the game, the only frustrating thing is that we’ve only won the game 3-0 when we’ve had a lot more clear cut chances that we’ve got to be more clinical with.”

Expanding upon that point, Harrison said his players would continue to work on converting their chances and that the approaching midweek game away to Shrewsbury Town, back in league action, would provide an opportunity for them to show a greater ruthlessness in front of goal.

“We have to remember that these are young players who are still learning and developing, and we have to help them to do that,” he continued.

“The goals we scored were very good but we’ve counted that we’ve had 12 clear cut chances from almost inside the six yard box and we’ve not scored. We were delighted to win 3-0, we’ve scored three goals and kept a clean sheet but I certainly feel we should’ve won it by a lot more than that.

“We just want to challenge the players when they have the opportunity to score more to do that and that’s what we will continue to strive for.

“I’m sure the players will already be looking forward to Wednesday and we’ll have a few training sessions before that game, so we’ll keep working hard with the players to improve and hopefully then the things that we’ve talked about and showed them on the video, they can put right in the next game. That’s certainly the approach that all the players need to have.”
    PNE line-up: Cottam; Simmons, Williams, (Ngongo, 71), Lyons, (McFayden, 84), Armer; McManus (Earl, 71), Baxter; Jolly, Pollard, Potts; Brannigan (Walker, 59). Subs not used: Lenton.

5. themaclad

PNE U18 3 Accrington Stanley U18 0

Jack Baxter played a starring role as the U18s comfortably beat Accrington Stanley U18s 3-0.

A penalty in each half gave Baxter two on the day, with Charlie Lyons adding a third late in the game.

Although North End were the stronger side, they couldn’t create too many chances in the opening exchanges.

It would be 35 minutes before a real chance came the Lilywhites’ way. After swapping wings with Jerome Jolly, Ethan Walker was down the right and it was his work that won a PNE corner. The former’s cross was met by Precioux Ngongo whose downward header was just off target.

Then came the breakthrough, Adam O’Reilly carried the ball forward after winning it back high up the pitch before sliding a pass through to Jerome Jolly, who was felled by the Accrington full back in the box and the referee pointed to the spot.
    Jack Baxter stepped up but his side footed strike was saved, initially, before the midfielder followed up and made up for his error, just a minute before the interval to give PNE the lead.

The second half was a more open affair, with PNE enjoying more expansive possession, mainly through the two central midfielders.

Both teams were playing more attacking and that also led to counter attacks – O’Reilly bursting forward for North End, being brought down, forcing a booking in the 53rd minute.

At the other end, just two minutes later, Accrington had a counter of their own; Lewis Simmons was up against two Stanley forwards. The right back bided his time and committed a perfect slide tackle to stop the attack.

Just after the hour North End began a flurry of chances, with Brian McManus laying off Jerome Jolly. Jolly’s first time effort was bobbling towards the far corner but the Stanley stopper was able to get down to turn it around the post.

In the 63rd minute PNE found the net, but Potts finish was ruled out for offside.Adam O’Reilly won the ball in midfield and drove forward, he entered the penalty area and his low effort from right to left was saved – into the path of Potts who was adjudged offside.

The visiting ‘keeper was in action again in 70th minute, Jack Armer pushed forward down the left and his cross was deflected as it reached the six-yard box. It forced a good reflex save and Potts’ follow up header was blocked by a covering defender.

PNE and Jack Baxter would have their second goals of the day soon after though, in the 73rd minute, with Louis Potts to thank for his part in creating it.
    Accrington pushed forward trying to find a way back into the game and O’Reilly’s excellent interception and pass went straight to the No.9’s feet. Potts then rolled his man and ran from the edge of his own half into the Stanley box before being brought down rounding the ‘keeper.

Baxter stepped up again and made no mistake this time, confidently powering his effort into the bottom right corner, sending the Stanley ‘keeper the wrong way.

It was an excellent display from the whole team, and it was a defender’s turn to make an impact at the top end of the pitch just three minutes from time.

To add to a clean sheet, Charlie Lyons rose well to meet Ethan Walker’s free kick and nod the ball into the back of the net to seal the win for the Lilywhites.

Academy manager Nick Harrison was pleased with the nature of the performance but still believes there is room to improve for his side.

Speaking to PNE.Com after the game, Nick said: “It’s always good to win games and it’s always good to keep a clean sheet. From that perspective it’s fantastic.

“I didn’t think we played to our best. They made it difficult for us by putting lots of bodies behind the ball but we knew that anyway.

“I’m delighted we scored three goals, we should have had more, that’s the frustration but they’re young players. I’m pleased they showed great character throughout the game to go on and win the game.
    “As the game went on we did get better and, really, we could have had another three goals in the second half.

“That came from scoring the first goal. It was good timing, just before half-time, and I felt that we looked a lot better in terms of how we passed the ball, the movement looked a lot more threatening. We started to open up a bit more which then created more chances.”

It came down to a few individual moments to make the difference for PNE, with Jack Baxter scoring twice from the spot – after excellent work from Jolly and Potts to win them – and Charlie Lyons meeting Walker’s inviting free kick.

Despite seeing his first penalty saved, Baxter scored the rebound and confidently dispatched his second, which pleased Harrison.

“Jack’s got an abundance of ability and technique and that’s why he’s on penalties. He does well on them in training and it was a brilliant reaction from him to score the first one - in terms of not being disappointed it’s saved. The second one just shows you what Jack Baxter can do in terms of his finishing.
    “I thought our crosses, because we thought we’d get a lot of chances from wide areas today, which was proven, the deliveries were just the wrong type of deliveries.

“Their ‘keeper was over 6 foot and I thought our type of delivery was wrong because we played into his hands.

“It was a fantastic delivery for the third goal, Charlie did well to get on the end of it. It was a really good header and he needs to do that more.”

Looking ahead to their next game, the U18s face Huddersfield in the EFL Youth Alliance Cup next week, a challenge and format the manager is relishing.

“The last time we played Huddersfield was in a pre-season game a year ago, which was an U17 game, but we very rarely play Huddersfield.

“It’s a cup game, which will be good, I think it will be a really good test for us. They’ve got really good players and it’s one that we’re all looking forward to and the players should be as well.

“Hopefully we can continue with scoring the goals we are, creating the chances and keeping the clean sheets where we can.”

6. themaclad

Fined 12500 for Notlob handbags

7. themaclad

Huddersfield Town U18 0 PNE U18 7

Five different players were on the scoresheet as the youth team beat Huddersfield Town 7-0 at the PPG Canalside Sports Complex.

Adam O’Reilly opened the scoring while Tyrhys Dolan and Darren Brannigan – both of whom could have claimed one of the second half goals as their own – made it three at half-time, as Ethan Walker and Louis Potts’ double rounded off the scoreline for another Youth Alliance Cup group game win.

What a win for #PNEU18!

All
    goals from yesterday’s emphatic victory against Huddersfield Town, with @Adam_o_reilly, Tyrhys Dolan, Darren Brannigan, @Ethanwalker_7 and Louis Potts all on target!

#pnefc

1:49 PM - Sep 16, 2018
    Huddersield had a clear emphasis on playing out from the back from the off, seeing the majority of the ball early on, but that style suited North End’s pressing game.

Walker was the first to hit the target as goalkeeper Giosue Bellagambi turned behind his low strike and Darren Brannigan headed wide in the subsequent attack.

Walker blazed marginally over shortly after while O’Reily just failed to connect with Lewis Simmons’ cross and Brannigan’s header was saved by Bellagambi.

The breakthrough came after 14 minutes thanks to the alertness of O’Reilly, who intercepted a pass inside the box before finishing coolly through the legs of Bellagambi.

The lead was doubled five minutes later when Walker cut inside and reversed it down the left for Dolan, who charged into the box and dinked it perfectly over the goalkeeper.

The hosts might have pulled one back midway through the half but for a great save from Jimmy Corcoran to deny Jaheim Headley, who provided Huddersfield’s greatest threat, from close range.

Ten minutes before the break, the Lilywhites struck again as Jack Armer intercepted in midfield and delivered to Brannigan in the box, striking into the bottom left corner.

Huddersfield’s best spell came just before the interval with Headley at the heart of things, taking down a long ball forward but not getting enough power on his attempted lob over Corcoran and then firing over down the left, while Walker and O’Reilly’s piledrivers were saved late in the half.

Andre Edionhon and Andrew Ijiwole were brought into the fold for the second half but PNE’s dominance continued as O’Reilly and Jolly each looked to catch Bellagambi out with long range chips, both curling wide.

Only five minutes of the second half had been played when North End made it four with Brannigan rounding off a neat move around the box by teeing up Walker to guide it into the far right corner.
    It was five by the 52nd minute, Dolan capitalising on a loose ball from a corner and poking towards goal, his close range shot looking destined for goal before taking a minor touch off Brannigan.

Louis Potts, Josh Pollard and Tyler Williams were introduced to the action with half an hour remaining, the latter quickly involved in the action by flicking a corner on for O’Reilly, whose thunderous volley came back off the underside of the crossbar.

Williams himself headed over at the near post from a corner before O’Reilly chipped agonisingly wide of Bellagambi’s right-hand post from ten yards.

Brannigan had a goal disallowed for offside moments before substitute Potts made it six in the 73rd minute, controlling Brian McManus’ pass and curling into the same far right corner.

Walker flashed a low strike wide of the far-left corner while Edionhon dragged a rare chance past the post the other end.

Brannigan had his shot from the angle well saved late on before Potts completed the scoring in added time, finishing on the volley after the another of the former’s shot was palmed to him.

Academy boss Nick Harrison was delighted with all aspects of his team’s performance.

“It was a really good, aggressive performance in terms of trying to win the ball back high up the pitch and I thought we did that on numerous occasions,” Harrison told PNE.com.

“The players showed great desire and composure in front of goal to put the ball in the back of the net as many times as we did. We’re delighted with the performance and the result.
    “It’s [Huddersfield’s playing style] something that we saw on the videos of the games they’ve played. We set up to do that [press high] and we have players who can work hard, defend and win the ball back and they did exactly what we asked of them.

“We actually could have scored two or three more so the scoreline didn’t flatter us, we thoroughly deserved it, so we’re delighted with the way the boys applied themselves given what we asked of them.”

The youth team boss was equally pleased that his team continued their relentless streak in the second half and maintained their concentration to keep a clean sheet as well.

“We had a spell in the first half at 3-0 where we were a little bit slack on the ball and maybe weren’t concentrating, so we talked about that at half-time. We looked a lot better on the ball when we passed it quickly and progressively and we did that really well in the second half

“It's brilliant to score lots of goals but we would’ve been disappointed to have conceded two or three, because they did have a few good chances. Every team is going to do that and I thought we defended well and the back four, which turned into a back three later in the game, dealt with that really well.
    “We came up against a group of players who could pass the ball well but we stood up to that, we really competed all over the pitch and when we won the ball, we had large parts of the game where we passed the well but passed it forward and that’s why we created as many chances as we did.”

PNE line-up: Corcoran; Simmons (Williams, 60), Ngongo, Lyons, Armer (McManus, 70); O’Reilly, Baxter; Jolly (Pollard, 60), Dolan, (Potts, 60), Walker; Brannigan. Subs not used: Cottam.

8. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

The club is more than the first team, and these apprentices are doing a fine job.

9. themaclad

Harrop ACL injury season over

10. themaclad

PNE U18 1 Bury U18 1

Tyrhys Dolan scored in stoppage-time for the second time in as many matches as the youth team maintained their unbeaten run with a 1-1 draw against Bury.

Aaron Brown had given the visitors the lead after 25 minutes and it looked for long parts as though that would be enough for the three points, but Dolan converted an 93rd-minute indirect free-kick after Bury goalkeeper Jacob Carney was sent off.

Dolan was involved from the very beginning, spreading a fine pass to the left for Ethan Walker who skipped past his marker in the box but shot straight at Carney.

Adam O’Reilly got behind the Bury defence two minutes later as he ran onto Jerome Jolly’s chipped pass, but his penalty appeals were waived away by the referee, after Carney appeared to have brought him down.

Precieux Ngongo nodded wide from a Louis Potts delivery shortly after while Joe Adams lashed the visitors’ first meaningful attempt over the bar.

The Lilywhites should have taken the lead 19 minutes in when Potts flicked a low Walker cross goalwards, his effort well blocked before Jolly placed the rebound over.
    Walker drew another save from Carney midway through the half when his dazzling run took him to the edge of the box and his strike for the bottom left corner was tipped wide.

But the game took an unexpected turn when Bury went ahead against the run of play. Their opener came from a move down the left when Adams tricked his way to the byline and pulled it across for Brown, who took one touch before placing low into the net left-footed.

That derailed the hosts’ momentum slightly although there were still chances for an equaliser before half-time, O’Reilly glancing a header wide from Walker’s whipped cross and Adams saw a similarly dangerous delivery flash across the face at the other end.

Another O’Reilly header teed up Potts but he scuffed his volley and Walker then dragged just wide of the far right corner in the closing moments of the half.

Lewis Simmons was booked late in the first half too and it was a similar theme which played out in a fiery second half, but not before some fine saves at both ends, Jimmy Corcoran twice denying Callum Hulme from distance, while Potts drew a reaction save from Carney from closer range.

Jack Baxter also struck just wide with a 20-yard piledriver before Potts was well denied again, his acrobatic volley headed clear off the line.

O’Reilly also went close just after the hour, connecting sweetly with Walker’s cross on the volley but converting wide.

Charlie Lyons and Walker were added to the referee’s notebook as well as Bury substitute Alen Moisin as the game wore on with chances wearing thin, as Walker curled a free-kick over the bar while Adams curled straight at Corcoran.

But a dramatic final few minutes ensued when Carney was sent off for an off-the-ball incident involving Potts and an indirect free-kick inside the box was awarded in the 90th minute.

Three minutes passed before that could be taken, with the visitors forced to introduce sub ‘keeper Mark E. Williams, but the Lilywhites took advantage nonetheless as Walker teed up Baxter to drive it across goal and Dolan got the vital touch at the back post to convert home.

That ensured North End’s youngsters’ unbeaten run remained intact, now stretching to seven games, and manager Nick Harrison was pleased his players fought until the end.

“I thought it was a bit of a scrappy game and a scrappy performance,” he told PNE.Com. “I thought we dominated in terms of possession and the clear cut chances we had, so from that perspective, we thought we should’ve been winning the game anyway.

“We were just missing that final touch, final pass, that final bit of quality to put the ball in the back of the net and I think if we had that, we’d have won the game quite comfortably but we didn’t and that made the game scrappy.

“The goal we conceded just came from a bit of a lack of concentration and we didn’t defend it well individually, but it comes against the run of play.

“We’ve said to the lads at the end that we can think they do better, despite them dominating the game and creating more chances.

“Even though we felt they could’ve done better, they showed great character to keep going and going, we penned them into their half in the second half, certainly into the latter stages of it. And because they kept going, they got their rewards and kept their unbeaten run going.
    “I would say it doesn’t make the performance any better but at least they showed that character right until the end to get the equaliser.”

The Academy manager felt the game might’ve followed a different pattern had his side made been awarded a penalty or taken their chances in a particularly dominant opening 20 minutes.

“We probably should have been two or three up by then [when Bury scored]. We played on the frontfoot really well in that first 15 minutes.
    “It looked like a penalty from our angle, it looks like he just collides with Adam to take him out but it’s good play from him to get in behind, which we keep stressing to him is a good part of his game – getting into goalscoring positions.

“I think Jerome Jolly knows as a second year scholar that he should score from that position and the game could have been different if we’d have scored those chances. I felt we could’ve run away with it and won convincingly but because we didn’t, it made it a scrappy game.”

PNE line-up: Corcoran; Simmons, Ngongo, Lyons, Armer; O’Reilly, Baxter; Jolly (McManus, 62), Dolan, Walker; Potts. Subs not used: Earl, Cottam, McFayden, Pollard.

11. themaclad

Notts County U18 1 PNE U18 4

Ethan Walker scored a brace as the youth team finished their Youth Alliance Cup group with a perfect record by beating Notts County 4-1.

Walker struck at the beginning and end of the contest, while Charlie Lyons and Jerome Jolly converted in quick succession either side of the hour to ensure that Kion Etete’s late reply for the hosts was just a consolation.

Brian McManus replaced the injured Adam O’Reilly for North End’s only change from facing Bury last time out as the visitors started typically well given their recent form.

Indeed, the young Lilywhites took the lead with their first shot on target after eight minutes, courtesy of Walker. Tyrhys Dolan set him up, driving forward and sending his teammate into space down the left, where he cut back onto his right foot and shot low into the far-right corner.
    Dolan had an effort of his own blocked moments later, after Louis Potts had failed to test home goalkeeper Tieran Brookes from Jack Armer’s inviting centre.

Walker and Dolan reversed roles on 25 minutes as Brooks palmed away the former’s drive from the edge of the box, the Lilywhites’ first goalscorer following in to draw another suberb save from Notts’ ‘keeper, albeit from an offside position.

Charlie Lyons quickly played a free-kick forward for Armer to set up another chance for Walker, who dazzled into the box but skewed over left-footed, Coden Duncan curling straight at Jimmy Corcoran at the other end for the hosts’ first effort on goal just after the half hour.

Lewis Simmons forced Brooks to save from a tight angle before Potts nodded a Walker cross wide, who himself curled a free-kick into the wall for the final chance of the half.

The hosts came out stronger after the interval but failed to forge a clear opening before North End doubled their lead after 59 minutes.

That came from Jolly’s free-kick on the right side, his delivery put into a dangerous area and deceiving a few bodies on both sides before it reached Lyons at the back post, who made no mistake with his header.

Jolly got on the scoresheet himself two minutes later, playing a neat one-two with Walker to take him into the box, where he fired into the bottom right corner.

County rallied again with Duncan’s weaved his way to the angle of the six-yard area, but failed to get a shot away, Corey Bucalossi’s effort then being blocked before Kieran Cummings curled wide in the next attack.

Tyreace Palmer quickly got into the action following his introduction from the bench but could only curl into Corcoran’s grasp, and Etete did likewise with his header from fellow substitute Syme Mulvany’s corner.

Etete pulled one back on 81 minutes when he controlled well from another corner and finished high into the net with a powerful finish on his left foot.

Lilywhites substitute Lincoln McFayden then did brilliantly to block Etete’s volley but it was the visitors that finished the better.

Josh Pollard was unfortunate not to score when he headed Jolly’s cross just over, but he did claim a marvellous assist in the following 87th minute attack.

His chipped pass across the box sat up perfectly for Walker to fire into the far-left corner and round off the morning’s work.

4 goals and a win for @pnefcacademy this morning followed by 4 goals and a win for @pnefc 1st team this afternoon! Brilliant ⚽️

— David Rodgerson (@RodgersonGK) October 6, 2018
    Nick Harrison was pleased with the professionalism shown by his players to win when only a point was required to take them through in the competition.

“We needed a point to go top of the group and progress but we challenged the players to win the game with a good performance, as we always would do, and today they got that with an excellent performance,” he told PNE.Com.

“We set off at 6.30am [for an 11am kick-off], it’s a three hour plus journey on the coach. The players had to prepare themselves which was tough for them mentally but from the first minute, we played on the front foot and got at them with and without the ball.

“Each and every player worked their socks off and it just shows they’re capable of that even though we’ve had to contend with the long journey, they can still do that and if they prepare themselves mentally, it makes things much easier on the pitch.

“Credit to all the players today, I thought they were very professional and worked really hard, but above all, I thought they performed really well and showed what they can do.”
    Harrison felt it was a controlling performance, moreover against a decent Notts County outfit, mirroring the Lilywhites’ performances in their two previous wins in the competition this season.

“I thought we really dominated, Notts County are a good team and they have one or two really good players who could’ve threatened us. [Kion Etete] caused us a few problems but the back four dealt with that really well.

“We played on the front foot and we tried to play forward when we could, short and long, and we created a number of chances from that.

Port Vale was a bit scrappy but we saw that through but here and against Huddersfield, I think every single player has played their part in the performance and has been professional about what they’ve done.

“Above all, I’m delighted with how the players have played. We’ve done that all season really but today we’ve hit the back of the net more times perhaps than we have in previous games.”
    North End finish top of Youth Alliance Cup group two with maximum points from their three fixtures and they now go into the northern quarter-finals of the competition. Follow @pnefcacademy on Twitter to discover the Lilywhites’ opponents in the next round.

PNE line-up: Corcoran; Simmons (Earl, 82), Ngongo, Lyons, Armer, (McFayden, 72); McManus, (Pollard, 72), Baxter; Jolly, Dolan, (Nolan, 82), Walker; Potts. Subs not used: Cottam.

12. barnetpne

It is hard to assess at this stage how many if any of these young players will make the grade. It is a pity there are no reserves leagues like the old Pontins League.

13. themaclad

Totally agree even Colchester have a Under 23 side, woukld keep players fit especialy squad members

14. themaclad

Fleetwood Town U18 1 PNE U18 1

Adam O’Reilly struck late in the first half as North End’s youngsters drew 1-1 against Fleetwood Town at Poolfoot Farm, maintaining their unbeaten away record this season.

Carl Johnston had put the Cod Army in front before O’Reilly equalised six minutes before the break and despite a rallying second half display, the young Lilywhites had to settle for a point.

The hosts began at lightning pace in a scrappy contest, the first chance falling their way eight minutes as Barry Bagley beat the offside trap to go one-on-one against James Cottam, but the Northern Irishman lobbed wide of goal.

Baggley provided quality delivery from set pieces throughout, first displaying that to set up defender James Hill from a corner, who looped his header over the far post.

The Lilywhites looked to be settling with Dolan’s effort bouncing into goalkeeper Scott Pengelly’s grasp and Jerome Jolly’s header forcing the Fleetwood stopper into a smart diving save in quick succession, but they lost Jack Armer to injury midway through the half, Lewis Earl his replacement.

Fleetwood went in front after 26 minutes when Baggley tricked his way to the right byline and pulled it back for Johnston ten yards from goal, whose low first-time finish was beyond Cottam.

Tyler Williams’ header goalwards from Jolly’s deep free-kick was blocked on the half hour, while Baggley’s delivery was volleyed wide by Hill before the hosts’ creative force curled a free-kick of his own over the wall, but Cottam held well.

O’Reilly went close in the following minute as Pengelly turned behind his sweeping 20-yard effort, the Fleetwood man then collecting Earl’s header from Brian McManus’ resulting corner.

But O’Reilly went one better in the 39th minute to equalise. Louis Potts’ superb run down the right culminated with a low cross which deflected into the PNE captain’s path as he powered a shot into the roof of the net with a first-time finish.

The Irishman’s effort was enough to take the Lilywhites into the interval level after Sam O’Halloran missed the target with a pair of headers, the away side going on to control the play after the break.

That was evident from as early as the 48th minute, Jack Baxter’s raking pass finding Lincoln McFayden, whose left-wing delivery reached Potts, but he couldn’t wrap his foot around the ball sufficiently to get his effort on target.

Another exquisite disguised pass from Baxter played Potts directly through just before the hour but the frontman didn’t get enough on his dink to trouble Pengelly.

Despite his side dominating the play, Cottam had to keep his concentration at the other end as he brilliantly held onto Shayden Morris low strike after he broke through with a burst of pace.

Baxter then sent a half volley wide from 20 yards before playing Jolly into space down the right channel, his cross picking out O’Reilly to volley, who was only denied by a goal line clearance.

Lewis Simmons defended well to keep out Fleetwood substitute Kian Makepeace, who subsequently headed wide from Dylan Boyle’s cross, after O’Halloran had shot straight at Cottam in a mini resurgence by the hosts.

The Lilywhites had the best chances to win it late on, though, through two fine efforts from Jolly as he curled agonisingly wide of either post, the Lancashire Derby ending as a draw.

After a testing first half, Professional Development Phase coach, Andy Fensome, was pleased to see an improved display from the players in the closing 45 minutes.

“With the two good chances we had in the second half, we should score so if you look at it like that, we should win 2-1,” Fensome told PNE.Com. “At the same time, I wasn’t overconfident that we would hold out, but fair play to the lads for not conceding in the second half.

“We probably panicked on the ball a little bit [in the first half]. Fleetwood put on a good high press and pressed at every opportunity and we didn’t cope with that too well.

“At half-time, we talked to the boys about being confident and taking responsibility which meant if we could take responsibility on the ball and pass properly, we could play through them and I think we did that at times in the second half and played better.
    “We had a young, inexperienced back four and to be fair to Lewis Earl, who came on after 20 odd minutes, he played really well. It was only Lincoln [McFayden]’s second or third game and Tyler [Wiliams] is the same.

“They are the lads that are coming up, playing every day and have to keep getting better day in, day out but playing matches provides a bit of pressure and they have to learn to deal with that.”

There will be no respite for the young Lilywhites with a Lancashire FA Youth Cup quarter-final tie awaiting on Tuesday, Burnley the visitors to UCLan Sports Arena in a 1pm kick-off, a which will provide a huge opportunity for the players, according to Fensome.

“It’s a team that we don’t play against very often unless it’s a friendly fixture now,” he continued.

“It’s a massive opportunity in a cup quarter-final, what better game to go and play in? It’s against Burnley, a higher category club, and it’s an opportunity for the players to go and show how good we think they are and a chance to enjoy playing and moving the ball.
    “I think as a player, you should go into the game looking forward to it, enjoying the experience and wanting the win to get into the semi-final.”

PNE line-up: Cottam; Simmons, Williams, Armer, (Earl, 23), McFayden; McManus, (Pollard, 63), Baxter; Dolan, O’Reilly, Jolly; Potts (Brannigan, 75). Subs not used: Corcoran, Nolan.

15. themaclad

PNE U18 0 Burnley U18 0 (PNE Win 7-6 On Penalties)

Jimmy Corcoran saved the decisive spot kick as the youth team beat Burnley on penalties, following a goalless 90 minutes, to reach the semi-finals of the Lancashire FA Professional Youth Cup.

The young Lilywhites had largely controlled the play in normal time, Tyrhys Dolan and Tyler Williams both hitting the woodwork in the second half, but it was Corcoran’s save that ultimately separated the teams, with the other 13 penalties in the shootout all successfully converted.

Lewis Earl, Darren Brannigan and Corcoran came into the side as three changes from the last outing against Fleetwood, as Burnley started strongly in blustery conditions at UCLan Sports Arena.

Michael Fowler drew a strong save from Corcoran from a tight angle seven minutes in but the majority of the chances were created by the home side from there on, Brannigan touching Jerome Jolly’s cross goalwards on the quarter hour without troubling goalkeeper Harry Allen.

Adam O’Reilly played through Brannigan to go one-on-one against Allen but the defender recovered in time to tackle, the Burnley ‘keeper then palming a Jolly free-kick straight at Dolly, the deflection going out for a throw in when it could have gone anywhere.

Brannigan got his head on a pair of Jolly crosses, heading over and then straight at Kelly, either side of Corcoran dealing well with a deep free-kick from Chris Conn-Clarke.

O’Reilly and Dolan were both superbly denied by Allen late in the half after going through on goal and Potts put past the post either side of the break.

There was some additional pressure from the visitors in the second half with Lewis Simmons clearing superbly ahead of Fowler, who himself lobbed over the bar before the hour but Corcoran was forced into a diving save from Conn-Clarke minutes later.

Baxter then volleyed over from a Jolly corner and sent another decent long-range effort just wide, while Earl did well to halt Fowler’s run at the other end.

The Lilywhites came closest on 71 minutes courtesy of Dolan’s moment of brilliance, wriggling himself away from a defender 20 yards from goal and curling against the top right-hand post.
    Burnley had a couple of late opportunities as well, the best of which around 15 minutes from time as Corcoran brilliantly turned behind Mitch George’s low shot, before the PNE stopper saved another effort on the bounce from Fowler.

North End almost had the final say, though, as Williams turned Jolly’s corner onto the post, but a shootout prevailed.

Baxter, Simmons, Brian McManus, O’Reilly, Dolan and Jolly had all converted before Corcoran stuck out a leg to save Burnley’s sixth penalty, Potts subsequently slotting home the winning penalty, showing no sign of pressure.

The Lilywhites are now into the last four of the competition and Academy coach Andy Fensome was pleased with the side’s performance.

“We’re very pleased to get the win today and I thought the boys played extremely well,” the Professional Development Phase coach told PNE.Com. “We passed the ball well in difficult conditions with it being very windy.

“There’s always going to be chances at different stages of the game and especially first half we created some really good chances.

“Yes, Burnley had some chances second half, but the back four worked extremely hard, they covered each other and the boys in front of them worked hard and created chances.”

“We practised yesterday in training so that was a good bit of preparation from the boys [for penalties]. We didn’t score the goals in normal time but today they were clinical finishes [in the shootout] and I don’t think the ‘keeper could’ve got near any of them.
    “We’ll work on some more things during the next week or so. It’s good for the lads to come in and listen them to cheering and being happy, that’s what football should be all about – getting results and that’s what the boys did today.”

North End’s youngsters are next in action on Saturday 3 November with a trip to Carlisle United. Their semi-final opponents in the Lancashire FA Youth Cup will be confirmed in due course, you can first discover who will they take on by following @pnefcacademy on Twitter.

PNE line-up: Corcoran; Simmons, Earl, Williams, McFayden; O’Reilly, Baxter; Potts, Dolan, Jolly; Brannigan (McManus, 79). Subs not used: Nolan, Cottam, Pollard, Holland-Wilkinson.

16. themaclad

Browne Robinson and Maguire in Republic squad

17. themaclad

PNE U18 1 Tranmere Rovers U18 0

Jerome Jolly scored the only goal as the youth team got back to winning ways with a 1-0 triumph over Tranmere Rovers at UCLan Sports Arena.

Josh Pollard played the pass for his fellow second year to convert ten minutes before the break, the young Lilywhites remaining firm in the second half to secure victory.

Pollard came into the side as one of five changes from last time out against Wrexham, as Charlie Lyons returned following a three-match suspension, while Jack Armer, Jack Baxter and Darren Brannigan were all called upon having recovered from their respective injuries.

The game followed a familiar pattern from the off, North End’s youngsters controlling possession but having to remain patient in the face of a resolute Tranmere backline.

Both sides had early glimpses of goal, one Jolly corner looking as though it might have snuck inside the near post but for a clearance and Pollard failing to get a shot away quickly enough from an Ethan Walker centre.

Nathan Corness carried the visitors’ main threat, one dangerous pass for Bailey Thompson just overhit before he saw a shot of his own blocked, Walker reaching the byline at the other end but crossing into the grasp of Tranmere ‘keeper, Bayleigh Passant.

There were several occasions, though, where fine margins seemed to keep out the Lilywhites, Pollard and Jack Armer both racing in on goal within moments of one another, with Passant twice quick off his line.

Jack Baxter had a shot blocked from 20 yards before Pollard was rewarded with a free run down the right for his pressing, but his delivery, aimed towards Brannigan in acres of space, was cut out by a defender.

Tranmere might have taken the lead just after the half hour but the chance escaped George Nugent after he’d won the ball back in space just outside the box, but he spent too much time on the ball and North End cleared after his shot was deflected over.

Crucially, in the following 34th minute, Jolly struck to give PNE the lead.

The second year scholar had blazed wide from a Baxter pass moments earlier but he made no mistake this time around, controlling Pollard’s measured pass, who had regained possession in midfield, and slotting the ball through Passant’s legs.

The hosts looked hungry for another and although they failed to test the ‘keeper again before the break, that sense of danger remained in the second half with Pollard heavily involved, shooting over from range and almost setting up Armer again, but the defender couldn’t get a shot away.

Tyrhys Dolan headed straight at Passant from a Jolly cross and then nodded wide from a Walker free-kick the other side of the hour mark.

Walker went close himself with less than a quarter of an hour remaining, flashing one past the post from 20 yards and placing marginally over from similar range soon after, while Kyle Hayde’s speculative strike at the other end found the side netting.

There was still time for Tranmere to provide a late scare but fortunately for PNE, substitute Harrison Musuamba headed wide from point blank range and Cottam saved another nodded effort, the hosts holding out for a thoroughly deserved win having bossed the majority of the game.

Academy manager Nick Harrison was impressed by his side’s display.

“I thought it was an excellent performance and a good result as well,” he told PNE.Com. “It’s a clean sheet and a win, so three points, which is what the players strive for.

“In the first half, we made them defend deep. We penetrated them quite early on in the game and made lots of forward runs and good decisions on the ball to really stretch them.

“We opened the game up and started passing the ball really well as the first half went on and the goal is a good move, although I felt we probably had better moves in the game which we probably could have scored from.

“It was a really well taken goal, a good finish and good movement which came from quick play in their box, which we’ve spent a lot of time talking to the lads about in terms of breaking teams down.
    “We come up against lots of teams that want to defend their box and get numbers behind us, so it’s really pleasing to see us do that and see Jerome Jolly score the goal.”

The boss was equally pleased to see Tranmere prevented from breaching the PNE backline.

“We’re as delighted to get the clean sheet as we are to get the goal that wins us the game. The back five did really well, the players in front of them protected them well, we pressed when we needed to and we were solid when they broke against us.

“We dealt with their threats really well, they had a tall No.9 [Bailey Thompson] and although we might not have won every header, we didn’t need to do that.

“We defended really well against him and nullified that threat and when we won the ball back, we broke well and got into some good areas.

“We’ have liked to have created some more chances but ultimately I felt we controlled the game, we passed it and kept the ball well and were patient in our attacking play.

“Maybe if we had shown a little bit more quality, we might have scored one or two goals to make the scoreline reflect the game a bit more.”
    PNE line-up: Cottam; Simmons, Earl, Lyons, Armer; Pollard, Baxter; Jolly, Dolan, Walker; Brannigan (Potts, 73). Subs not used: Williams, Lenton, McFayden, McManus.

18. themaclad

Maguire injured again

19. barnetpne

Looks like another couple of months out for him.

themaclad likes this.
  20. themaclad

Blackpool U18 3 PNE U18 2

The youth team were undone by a 90th minute own goal as Blackpool won the U18 derby 3-2 at Myerscough College.

North End’s youngsters raced into a two-goal lead thanks to Ethan Walker’s strike and Jerome Jolly’s corner being parried into the net, but the hosts were back in it before the half hour with Andy Kanga and Sam Maddox on target.

And the Lilywhites conceded against the run of play right at the death as a PNE man glanced a free-kick into his own net.

North End scored almost straight from the kick-off courtesy of some individual inspiration from Walker. The winger’s mazy run inside from the left saw him turn his marker inside out and curl a precise effort into the top left corner to give the visitors the perfect start.

Lewis Earl might’ve scored just five minutes later when he prodded Jolly’s corner towards the bottom corner only for it to be turned behind for another corner.

But Jolly whipped in menacingly again from that subsequent corner, curling right into the goalmouth and ‘keeper Harvey Simson could only parry that delivery over his own line to make it a two-goal advantage after seven minutes.

The hosts played themselves back into the game, though, with Earl required to make a crucial tackle on Kanga to clear for a corner, which Maddox got his head to without troubling Jimmy Corcoran.

Nathan Shaw’s shot sailed over the crossbar minutes later but Blackpool did pull one back on 20 minutes with Kanga baring down on goal and although his initial touch past Corcoran took him wide, he managed to convert from the angle.

Shaw crossed dangerously in the next attack but Ewan Bange took the ball off Kanga’s toes and his heavy touch meant the chance was gone.

Blackpool did equalise in the 27th minute when Kanga teed up Maddox 25 yards from goal and his first-time strike found the far-left corner for a fine leveller.

Shaw then unleashed another piledriver straight at Corcoran while Jack Baxter sent Louis Potts into space at the other end but he scuffed his shot wide of the near post.

Walker and Jolly curled a free-kick apiece marginally over, while Potts met Lewis Simmons’ cross at the back post but couldn’t divert past Simson.

The visitors carried through their late first half improvement into the second half, with Tyrhys Dolan getting to the left byline with some clever play, his centre converted wide of the far post by Walker while Shaw had an attempt blocked at the other end.

The tempo slowed in the closing 45 minutes but PNE looked in greater control for large parts, Jolly glancing a header over just after the hour, while Tyrhys Dolan drew a save from substitute ‘keeper Sam Kellett moments later.

Jolly then curled for the top left corner but a header off the lined thwarted him and Potts touched Earl’s pinpoint cross goalwards but it was a routine stop for Kellett.

Darren Brannigan was brought on for the final quarter of an hour and he had a decent looking attempt blocked within minutes of his arrival, Simmons racing to the edge of the area five minutes from time but curling straight at Kellett.

The Lilywhites’ late efforts would count for nothing, though, as in the 90th minute, Shaw’s free-kick delivery was flicked into the far bottom corner by a North End head for Blackpool’s winning goal.

Academy manager Nick Harrison explained that the late goal North End conceded completely swayed the team’s post-match perspective of the game.

“I think when we reflect on the game, we can look at the fact that we had 12 attempts to their six, so from a positive point of view, that shows that the group can create chances,” he told PNE.Com.

“It also highlights that the players in the box have to be more clinical to put the ball in the back of the net, but that’s something we’ve spoken about before. The goals we conceded could’ve been avoided, either from a lack of concentration, from not blocking a shot or not pressing the ball.

“It’s a stupid free-kick that we give away towards the end of the game, which leads to the own goal. It’s U18 football, the players have got to learn from it and they’ve got to learn from it quickly.

“Without that [the late goal], we can say it’s a point and we created lots of chances and maybe should’ve won it. But because of that silly decision at the end, we’ve not got any points and instead we’re speaking about being more clinical.”
    Harrison had been pleased by his side’s second half improvement but stressed that there was still plenty for the players to learn from.

“Even though we lost the game today, we still had moments in it where I thought we did well.

“I thought when we got those two goals early on, the players almost looked like they thought they’d won the game and dropped a little bit deeper – they stopped doing the things we did well in that first 15 minutes.
    “So I’m pleased that when we spoke to the players about that at half-time, they went back out in the second half and played much better and looked a lot more solid.

“I felt we did dominate the game overall, but the players have to learn that if they dominate the game, they’ve got to win it and ultimately that’s what professional football is all about.”

PNE line-up: Corcoran; Simmons, Earl, Lyons, Armer; Pollard, Baxter; Jolly, Dolan (Bennett, 88), Walker; Potts (Brannigan, 75). Subs not used: Williams, Cottam, McFayden.