1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Podcasts

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Idi Amin, May 10, 2017.

1. Idi Amin

Idi Amin Well-Known Member

Eyup.......not sure if there is a thread for this.

I have very recently got into Podcasts (I have been stuck in the dark ages) and was wondering what people would recommend. The first one I was pointed to/came across on a long journey was 'The Joe Rogan Experience. I previously remembered him as a UFC commentator, but had not been in to podcasts. I have found myself hooked, with a mix of very interesting guests including social scientists, Scientists, Authors, Journalists, comedians....and a whole host of other interesting characters covering some really deep topics.

Anyone listened to this before.....and recommendations on other listens????

Oh.....I will download the City one too.

2. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

3. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

100% correct recommendation, if you are middle aged physically and 14 years old mentally. Which we all are, if we are honest with ourselves.

I listen to a lot of podcasts these days, a couple I would suggest:

The Guardian Football Weekly - a twice weekly review of football stories, big focus on the PL but lots of other stuff too. Features Hull-connected James Horncastle. Much better than The Times equivalent (assuming that insufferable twot Gabriel Marcotti still hosts it).

Howler Radio - long form pieces about football, quite infrequent but very listenable.

50 Things That Made The Modern Economy - ten minute bursts about things that made..... you know.

99% Invisible - highly variable but generally excellent discussions about the history of the built environment. US-based, but a lot of UK content too.

Idi Amin likes this.
  4. Quill

Quill Bastard

Depends what you're after. I don't really listen to sports podcasts.

I'm a bit twisted, so I enjoy The Last Podcast on the Left, a comedy-horror podcast about murderers, madmen, creepypasta, conspiracy, UFOs, high-weirdness on the internet, etc.. Not the most family-friendly podcast.

s02699 and Steven Toast like this.
  5. disquietTiger

disquietTiger Active Member

Serial and S-Town are both fascinating.

6. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

The Ricky Gervais show is decent if you like that sort of thing.

7. s02699

s02699 Active Member

The above mentioned Last Podcast on the Left and Athletico Mince are brilliant.

Also enjoy the Adam Buxton Podcast.

The Magic Sponge has had Jon Parkin on it with a few stories about city and a ton of ex pro's on it but you have to put up with Jimmy Bullard and Rob Beckett's laugh in between any stories from the guests which wrecks it a bit.

Lore is good for creepy stories and Detective is real life stories from men who used to work in homicide in the US and I binge listened to the first series recently and loved it.