1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Police and Tyrone GAA investigates double attack on officials

Discussion in 'GAA' started by Not606 News Team, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Not606 News Team

The Tyrone GAA board and the Police Service of Northern Ireland have both launched investigations after two officials were knocked unconscious during the ladies' club football final.

The incident happened at the end of the match between St Macartan's and Carrickmore at Beragh on Friday evening.

Match referee Simon Brady, aged 43, and Tyrone ladies football chairman Martin Conway were both assaulted and knocked out.

Mr Brady was struck by a spectator while checking his score card, and Mr Conway was attacked as he attempted to intervene in the unsavoury scenes that followed.

Both men were carried from the scene on stretchers.

Speaking about the incident, Mr Brady said: "A free was scored, the ball came out and I blew up the final whistle.

"I did get a tap on the shoulder from a gentleman I know very well who wanted to shake my hand and I presume congratulate me.

"To be honest, that's the very last thing I remember."

The Tyrone ladies' board condemned the attacks and launched an investigation.

Mr Brady added: "I have absolute trust in the respective county board to deal with the matter and to deal with the fact."

2. Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction

Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction Well-Known Member

Wild stuff altogether. ****in Carrickmore bumpkins, always up to this ****. Different part of the world there