1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Political Debate

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Norway is about to go to the polls and like the UK there is unlikely to be a party with a majority. Some forecasts suggest that the Greens are likely to hold the balance of power, but opinion is so split that nine different parties could be involved in forming a new administration. Whatever the result it suggests that single party government is not that popular and compromise between ideologies will become more normal. I believe that Holland is still functioning despite their March election when thirteen different parties won seats, and no formal coalition has been formed. There are splits in the two main parties in England, and we see desperate attempts by the leaders to hold their sinking ships together. I cannot tell you just how many different parties of the left exist here; soft left to very extreme left, and every degree in between. I wonder what it is that stops our main parties splitting up.

2. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

What keeps them together is fear of each other Frenchie. The Tories and Labour need each other like Celtic and Rangers. If one of them broke up the other would not be long in following. I think that Britain is the only European country (apart from Russia, Belarus or Turkey) where a majority for one party is possible.

3. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

You are probably right over the fear thing. What we do see is people not bothering to vote, and I think that some of that is because of lack of real choice. The idea of the country being ruled by a coalition is not something that happens by choice, and the idea of strong and stable one party rule didn't exactly go down well in the latest election. Maybe it will take a major event such as a collapsed economy, or some political skullduggery for the parties to fall apart and new ones appear. It nearly happened in 1981 but it is certainly not easy to break the existing mold.

4. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41218283

Theresa announces the lifting of the 1% pay cap - for police and prison officers.
    Sod the nurses, the paramedics and the firemen who are just as important, if not more so. <grr>

The cynic in me harkens back to Thatcher, who did exactly the same to get the police onside just before deploying them against the public. May must be expecting trouble for some reason...

andytoprankin likes this.
  5. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

I don't vote because we don't live in a real democracy..............the house of Rothschild rules over our corrupt bought puppets and so the bad times will continue for the masses,...its called banking in the pig <ok>

6. aberdude

your right dude that's exactly what is happening, fk the people who save us and back the ones that oppress us......a typical action of a tyrant state <ok>

Nazi Britain can fook off.......

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    andytoprankin and rudebwoy like this.
  7. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

8. aberdude

9. superhorns

No wonder most Labour MPs have no faith in these clowns. They bring the party into disrepute. It reminds me of the lefty, Moscow sponsored wreckers that Margaret Thatcher crushed all those years ago.

10. aberdude

tbh I have no faith in these clowns either.....saying that how could anyone trust a team made up of tesa may and boris fking Johnson, what a fking freak show that is

sorry dude I can only spit at the name thatcher>>>>>>>>>>>so glad she`s feeding the worms these days, its about time she did something for this country and not just for the upper classes.

andytoprankin and Hornet-Fez like this.

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The Home Office is in trouble yet again. This time they could be held to be in contempt of court. Despite an order being in place not to deport someone, they thought they were above the law and carried on. They have been told they must bring him back immediately, and have until 4.00pm Friday to explain their action.

12. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

My Dad always said never to trust a government that immediately gives pay hikes to police and army. Which is what Thatcher did.
    Our media would see through that sort of thing in what it sees as 'tinpot' banana republics, but not in our own tinpot banana republic.

13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Seems as if despite the warnings the government still thought they could get away with it and didn't carry out the order. The person will be returned tomorrow following a further court order, and the Home Office will be hauled up for contempt of court. How many more times must this lot be taken before the courts and lose?

14. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Give the person who thought they were above our law a week or so in Pentonville. Just to sharpen their senses.

15. Bolton's Boots

Just a week or so? How about the average length of the DWP sanctions they all seem to chuckle over?

16. Bolton's Boots

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

No doubt someone somewhere will say it was a mistake. Rather like the 100 or so who were told they were to be deported. The trouble is it is the fault of a flawed system. There should be checks and counter checks when you are taking important decisions that can ruin a persons life. You can see why the government doesn't want human rights to be discussed, and why they keep on costing the taxpayer payer money with their repeated visits to the High Court. All very sad.

18. Bolton's Boots

Flawed system, yes - but one that has been deliberately put in place by a government that can only be described as evil, one that sets targets for staff, outsourced or otherwise, on this sort of thing.

There certainly should be checks and counter checks in place. When working for the Australian Govt., part of my brief was to review sanctioning decisions prior to them being actioned. This involved checking the validity of the decision, warning that sanctions were about to be imposed, giving the reasons why, giving people the opportunity to explain their side of the story then acting accordingly - and making sure that all the 't's were crossed & 'i's dotted if that meant asking Social Security to impose the sanction. Even after that, those sanctioned could take the decision to appeal. It wasn't something that I particularly enjoyed doing but was something that had to be done due to the law as it then stood. I do know what my response would have been had I been given targets to achieve though - and I had the opportunity to tell it to a future Prime Minister face-to-face, a particularly obnoxious creature by the name of Tony Abbott.

19. superhorns

Has Vince Cable the Lib Dem leader lost his marbles or become a stand up artist claiming it is perfectly plausible for him to become the next prime minister.? Has Diane Abbott been in charge of counting his number of MPs?

He might need the assistance from a few of Kim Jong-un missiles.

20. Bolton's Boots

I wonder why the English media are studiously avoiding reporting on the actions of the Spanish Govt. against the Catalans?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.