1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Years ago, heads rolled for less.

Now everyone is numbed by constant propaganda

2. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

This shows which out of Johnson and Corbyn is a genuine man of the people.

E36315A3-AD84-4777-A15D-97CD52C6FC3F.jpeg

3. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

4. San Tejón

Ralf Little claims that Twitter has suspended his account because he changed it’s name to Conservative Party Press Orifice in which he congratulated Corbyn on winning the debate.
    Why not suspend CCHQ?

shoot_spiderman likes this.
  5. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

6. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Not just the tories then..........See told you they were all at it.......

Labour fined £12,500 over donation declaration failure
    • 15 January 2019

please log in to view this image
    Image copyrightREUTERS
    Image captionLabour leader Jeremy Corbyn during the 2017 election campaign
    The Labour Party has been fined £12,500 by the Electoral Commission over failings to deliver accurate and on time declarations about donations.

The watchdog said Labour had failed to deliver an "accurate quarterly donations report" and "accurate weekly pre-poll reports" from April-June 2017.

It said it was the "highest fine we have issued" for that kind of offence.

Labour said it had been a "genuine administrative error" and it adhered to all rules regarding donations.

Political parties are obliged to submit a report on donations received every three months, as well as a weekly account in the six weeks prior to a general election.

But the Electoral Commission said Labour had failed to do this on both counts in a period prior to the snap election in 2017.

It has fined the party £12,000 for a "failure to deliver" an "accurate quarterly donations report" and £500 for a "failure to deliver accurate weekly pre-poll reports" for the period covering April, May and June 2017.

The snap election was on Thursday 8 June 2017.

BBC political correspondent Chris Mason said he understood the party failed to submit at least one donation in the appropriate report - submitting it three months later than it should have - and there were duplications in its submission as well.

Neither the Labour Party nor the Electoral Commission have set out how big the relevant donations were, or from whom.

Louise Edwards, director of regulation at the Electoral Commission, said: "The sanction we have imposed on the Labour Party for an inaccurate donations report is the highest fine we have issued for an offence of this kind.

"As a well funded political party it should be able to meet its legal requirements."

She added: "The reporting requirements are clear, so it is always disappointing when parties and campaigners fail to comply.

"The law clearly states when and how financial data is required to be submitted to the commission.

"We will continue to enforce these requirements on all parties and campaigners to ensure voters have the information they need."

The Labour Party said: "This was a genuine administrative error. Labour adheres to all Electoral Commission rules on the publication of donations to the party."

Labour has already paid the fine.

7. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

2017 news, is that all you’ve got?

8. San Tejón

Perhaps it was on FactCheckUK.

9. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

10. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

11. San Tejón

Why not empty chair him?

E9E127BE-D43A-4862-88BB-CF821AD9D03F.jpeg

12. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I am no fan of Boris but have been shocked by the tactics used by the Conservatives which are straight out of the Trump and Putin school of campaigning. It is fascinating to see the election hot up this week after a rather disappointing first week of campaigning. I have not seen a poll today but think that the election is taking some unusual turns. The Liberals are not making the inroads that had been anticipated but I also think that the only publicity Boris has received so far has been negative. The ITV debate was poorly handled and despite the lack of management of the proceedings, I felt that it marked a point where the tide stopped turning against Corbyn. The Labour Party manifesto launch today has grabbed the imagination of the public and press alike so that the initiative now looks to be with Labour. It is no longer the Conservative Party's election to lose.

I think that the Alex Salmond business today was a shock and wonder how that will play itself out in Scotland. For my money, although I cannot abide her, Nicole Sturgeon is probably the most capable and credible political leader in Europe at the moment, a savvy politician to whom the main parties have no response. It would be interesting to see if today's news has repercussions.

The early days of the campaign seemed to have been dominated by the fringe parties and I think that the Brexit party is now starting to look like an irrelevance. The election was called to unblock the impasse with Brexit but Labour have managed to reset the agenda. I had thought their campaign had begun poorly yet , if anything, it is the likes of the Greens and the Brexit Party who are dropping by the wayside. Once again, Jeremey Corbyn is catching the imagination of the voting public but , confronting a Tory leader with little credibility and a reputation for being dishonest, I think Labour will actually win by a much bigger margin than people would have thought two week's ago.

thereisonlyoneno7 and davecg69 like this.
  13. Ian Thumwood

Ali Milani is running a brilliant campaign against Boris. It is by no means certain that Boris will get it. Milani is a bright new star amongst the Labour candidates. Quite interesting to follow some of his stuff on line and a bit disappointing that the press are not giving him sufficient attention.

davecg69 likes this.
  14. San Tejón

Nice one Led by Donkeys.

shoot_spiderman and davecg69 like this.
  15. StJabbo1

Yeah really? So who's the bad boys here Neddy? Edit - it's the ****ing tory spivs!
    Shall we compare the leave campaign fraud and fine (with ongoing investigations) with the paltry remain I'll post that a bit later or may be not it's been done before results well known. Have a look at the electoral commission finding I can't be arsed to to it again.
    In reply to your post see below.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39289195
    The Conservative Party has been fined a record £70,000 for breaking election expenses rules.

The party insists its failure to report six figure sums it spent on trying to win three by-elections and the general election was an "administrative error".

The Electoral Commission said there was a "realistic prospect" the money had given the party an advantage.

The Metropolitan Police is now looking at the evidence to see if the reporting omissions were deliberate.

The party broke spending rules by moving campaigners and staff from its national headquarters to boost local party efforts and not properly declaring their hotel bills and expenses.

The investigation, which followed Channel 4 News' investigation, found:

• The Conservative Party's 2015 UK Parliamentary general election spending return was missing payments worth at least £104,765
    • Separately, payments worth up to £118,124 were either not reported to the commission or were incorrectly reported by the party
    • The party did not include the required invoices or receipts for 81 payments to the value of £52,924
    • The party failed to maintain records explaining the amounts it invoiced to candidates in three 2014 by-elections, for work on their campaigns
    The successful Conservative campaign in South Thanet to see off a challenge by then UKIP leader Nigel Farage at the 2015 general election was among those criticised in the commission's report.

The Electoral Commission found the Conservative Party also failed to correctly report all expenditure on a national battlebus campaign, which helped David Cameron win a majority at the general election.

davecg69 likes this.
  16. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

All I was pointing out.......is that all parties make mistakes...........so they say..........but some of you will not believe that labour don’t do these sorts of thing. They exaggerate things just the same as all the rest. I personally do not trust any of them...........

17. StJabbo1

Labour/remain mistakes outweighed approx 6 to 1 by the tory/leave "mistakes". Put these side by side to get a good comparison.

San Tejón and ChilcoSaint like this.
  18. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

19. Ian Thumwood

This was an incredible piece of investigative journalism but I was staggered no one ended up going to prison. From recollection, some of the payment issues were more than oversights and there was a genuine attempt to breach the rules. The evidence Channel Four unearthed was not picked up by the likes of the BBC until the matter reached the courts. It is amazing what Channel Four news seem to unearth that goes unreported by other media outlets to the extent that you really start to appreciate that the BBC is actually very biased.

I think that Laura Kuenssberg is extremely sceptical about Jeremy Corbyn. When JC first got elected leader, I felt that her journalism seriously undermined him from the beginning and that this has actually hindered him to quite a significant degree. The reporting on Channel Four is actually far more balanced.

The other element of bias within the BBC concerns the newspaper journals invited to comment either on political issues within the news or other matters on say Radio Four. There was an article on line about 12 months ago concerning the fact that the left wing newspaper had rarely been invited for it's views on programmes such as "Today" or "PM." This got me thinking and over the last year I have noticed just how often journalists from "The Guardian" are invited for comments on a whole range of topics well beyond issues in the news but also covering documentary and factual programmes as well as those dealing with the arts. The Guardian journalists are wheeled in to discuss obituaries and especially on social commentaries. to the extent that this newspaper is effectively the "go to" sounding board for opinion outside the BBC. I am not surprised by this because this is a newspaper I equate with liberal, middle class values yet given the limited and declining circulation of this newspaper, the BBC grants it far too much importance. It is actually quite an interesting scenario because tabloid opinion is largely ignored on Radio Four in favour of comments from the broadsheets where the likes of The Independent also get a more weighted coverage. Outside journalists from a broader spectrum of tabloids ranging from The Sun to The Morning Star will not get invited to comment on BBC news programmes.

StJabbo1 likes this.
  20. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

That’s exactly what the media owning billionaires want you to think

This is how they undermine democracy

You actually need to watch and listen and decide who to trust. The more Johnson lies the less people believe Corbyn

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    San Tejón, davecg69 and StJabbo1 like this.