1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Tragic. This should never happen in a “civilised” country. Of course, we are no longer a “civilised” country, but one where bigotry, racism, homophobia, etc are given free rein and the masses just turn their backs and ignore it as they settle down to their mindless pap on tv ....... :emoticon-0121-angry

2. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Kaito and davecg69 like this.
  3. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Don't expect any improvement in policies immigration or combating homelessness. Once the realities of brexit start to bite there's going to be less rather than more going to where it's needed most.

davecg69 and Kaito like this.
  4. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

When I have spoken to some of the younger generation who are homelessness............I have often found that a lot of causes have been falling out with parents. Half the time at least IMO not necessarily the youngsters fault.
    My question is therefore.........In my younger day we were taught to have a lot of respect for our parents with the same returned to us. We all went through puberty and the problems that can cause. However we didn't seem to have anywhere near the younger homeless we have to day.
    So is it personal attitudes that have changed?
    People are blaming it on the government so what have they done to encourage this to happen?
    (I'm not talking about what they should do to help the people) but how has the government aided this homelessness??

davecg69 likes this.
  5. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

Fiona Bruce of BBC Question Time admitted that it consciously selected a pro-Tory audience.

https://scramnews.com/bbc-question-time-slammed-selecting-pro-tory-audience

As if no one suspected this. Makes for an interesting, if shameful, read and some of the comments posted at the end of the article are interesting, and people are rightfully angry.

The BBC really need to clean up their act, and they need to do it quickly or their reputation will be left in tatters.

StJabbo1 and davecg69 like this.
  6. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I read that headline as saying “The BBC gives up all pretence of being politically neutral and will continue to be a propaganda machine for the Conservative party.”
    Once Johnson sets about dismantling the licence fee, and they are sponsored by a very rich media mogul, maybe someone like Rupert Murdoch, they can go full blown Fox News.

StJabbo1, davecg69 and Kaito like this.
  7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Every time we have a Tory government, the streets fill up with homeless people; haven’t you lived long enough to trust the evidence of your own eyes?

It’s an incontrovertible truth - Homeless people are currently everywhere you look, in every major City, and we have a Tory Government. That’s not a coincidence. It happened under Margaret Thatcher too, and the subsequent Labour Government spent years addressing the problem, only for it to explode again when the Tories regained power.

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

Have you got any stats for that mate? Not doubting it, just genuinely interested as I was homeless towards the back end of the last labour government (I think) and there was plenty around then too.

It's definitely ballooned in the past 3/4 years though. The general lack of housing is probably the biggest factor imo.

9. davecg69

I refuse to watch the BBC news or current affairs programmes nowadays. They’re so biased towards the government and they’ve clearly sold their souls to the Tories. What happened to “investigative reporting”? They’re not allowed to ask probing questions and are too busy backing Brexit and dissing anyone who isn’t a card carrying Tory. Disgusting.

10. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

These figures are from 2018, so a bit out of date. But they show an increase in people sleeping rough of 165% (****ing hell) between 2010 and 2018.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...67/Rough_Sleeping_Statistics_2018_release.pdf

Libby likes this.

11. San Tejón

12. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

Indeed. I used to work for a youth homeless charity in central London for 8 years during Blair's Labour. They created the rough sleepers initiative, which put money into the housing corporation, which divied money out to the various housing associations in London, which essentially meant there was accommodation available to house ex rough sleepers with support. It worked, to the extent that funding for my post was eventually not needed. Tories have undone all of that.

We all know It isn't rocket science. Cuts effect the poor more, and we have more homelessness. It is the Tories.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  13. davecg69

I’d like to “like” this Archers, but I can’t. It’s a ****ing appalling statistic and, in my mind, there should be incredibly few people sleeping rough in these times. Sadly, the current government don’t give a flying **** about them, as long as they can get their tax benefits and avoid EU investigation into offshore trusts. It’s a sad indictment on my generation that we’ve allowed this to happen and only a few dedicated people working to reduce it. I’m so angry ......

tiggermaster and Archers Road like this.
  14. West Kent Saint

I worked in youth homelessness for some years. The reasons that people become homeless can be multiple; family breakdown, physical and mental abuse within families, severe mental health (psychoses), asylum seekers that have been tortured or fleeing economic collapse or conflict. The common denominator is poverty linked to cuts, and lack of support (inc mental health) services that can help people in desperate need. Unfortunately this correlates with Tory governments, at least from my memory and age from Thatcher onwards.

15. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

Rebecca Long Bailey said in the leadership hustings that the purpose of the Labour party was to keep the tories out. Really ? - how about having some proactive, attractive policies rather than reacting to what they are up to. None of the leadership candidates fill me with optimism, I`m afraid.

davecg69 and Farked19 like this.
  16. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

This Bedster from someone on the ground trying to deal with the problem.
    And this

17. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

I have to agree, it's not a selection that inspires me. Rather a case of choosing the least bad. Having said that I rather like Jess Phillips attacking style, I think that she might give Pfeffel a few wobbles.

tiggermaster likes this.
  18. San Tejón

She also increased her majority in a Leave voting seat, iirc, so she has something about her.

19. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

oh I agree to a point. I wasn’t talking about dealing with the problem. I was asking what government policies were actually causing them to actually leave home? I’m sorry nothing is jumping out at me. Incidentally homeless ness in young people actually increased in Wilson’s time too I remember.

20. West Kent Saint

Yes, I’ve quite liked what I’ve seen from her thus far.