1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Nicola is my one hope hope of Johnson getting the bloody nose the lying bastard deserves.

AberdeenSaint and davecg69 like this.
  2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

So it’s personal with you then?

Politics, imo, should be about principles, not personalities. Increasingly however, it has become a form of show business akin to reality TV, and our democracy is paying a high price for that.

3. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

If by “personal” you mean the increase in poverty, the massive increase in food banks, the lying, the corruption, the compliance of the media and the potential break-up of the Union, all by a party led by a man with the principles of an alley-cat ...... then, yes, it’s personal.

4. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

No. It is about honesty, decency, integrity and openness. It's about empathy and caring. We have food banks, homelessness, beggars on the street, a housing crisis and these are not being addressed. It is about caring for the sick and the vulnerable and due to his incompetence we have had the highest death rate in the world from Covid19. It is about the pursuit of the common good and the prosperity of the nation not the protection and pursuit of the financial interests of the few.

You are right our democracy has paid a high price but it is because of the lying, crooked bastard and his cronies who now occupy number 10.

My one crumb of comfort is that only about 40% of the people who voted in the recent elections voted Tory. Thank goodness the majority of the people in this country still have moral principles that guide them.

The leaders of the Welsh and Scottish parliaments have both shown what a shallow, self promoting, hypocritical buffoon Johnson is.

That is why I hope Nicola gives him a bloody nose.

5. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

I think the issue is that a lot of the debate around Scottish Independence is that it’s based primarily on sticking a middle finger up at the Tories.

And while I can CERTAINLY empathise with that, it’s not a sustainable vision for an independent country.

The SNP have given no detail of how the country will function post independence and there is no indication of how the day to day lives of people will be improved by it.

I really don’t understand this modern obsession with erecting borders between different groups of people, stoking animosity and restricting the freedoms of people which ultimately nationalists like the Conservatives and the SNP do, very successfully.

Who the hell wants an international border on GB (a hard border if Scotland gets back into the EU), who wants to introduce restrictions to the right to live and work in separate parts of the island? Trade barriers between Scotland and the rest of the U.K.? How do these things benefit anyone’s day to day life? I can only see positives for politicians like Johnson and Sturgeon who’s careers thrive on stoking hatred between Brits and Europeans or Scots and other Brits.

It’s just so backwards and extremely sad to see, especially as someone with family on both sides of the ‘border’.

SaintStu and Archers Road like this.
  6. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

Substitute Brexit for Scottish independence in what you have written and I agree with you.

davecg69 likes this.
  7. Shandy_top_89

The point is that Brexit and Scottish Independence are the same argument. It is the same decision with the same consequences and the SNP are following the Tory playbook for Brexit completely.

I am pro EU and pro U.K. and just find both separation movements abhorrent, it is all designed to pit people against other people. There is nothing positive in any of it.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Archers Road and davecg69 like this.
  8. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yet you support one but not the other?

Must admit I find the SNP love in weird on here.

9. biggestfaggotontheplanet

biggestfaggotontheplanet Active Member

LOL

10. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

11. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I should have added that Scottish independence could well pave the way to rejoining the EU, something that was savagedly taken away by Johnson in his recklessness to take the UK out of the EU.

12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Not the same argument at all. The Scots literally are ruled by Westminster, whereas the UK was never ruled by Brussels. The SNP are tapping in to the sense of injustice felt by many Scots that whoever holds the majority in England generally rules Scotland. In the EU, an entirely different situation was the case.

davecg69 likes this.
  13. Shandy_top_89

There are differences to a point, but the general argument is the same.

‘We are ruled by something we can’t control’.

The biggest issue is the victims of all of this separatism are the people who live in the U.K. will Scottish Independence make life better for a single person in the U.K., Scottish or otherwise? I firmly doubt it, it is all about punishing another group, there is no positive vision.

14. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

We had all the control we needed in the EU, the power of veto, outside the Schengen Area, and our position at the top table because of our economic power.

I agree the same arguments are used, but in the case of the Brexiters they are all lies. The double tragedy for the Scots is that they didn’t want Brexit any more than they want to be ruled by Westminster.

15. Shandy_top_89

The thing is I absolutely agree about the EU and Brexit, along with the consequences and I feel a lot of sympathy for Scotland regarding Brexit.

But I just have not seen any convincing argument for a policy that would compound these issues, by introducing more borders, more trade barriers, more restrictions on people’s rights to live and work across this island. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

The only answer is getting the whole U.K. back into the EU, which depressingly doesn’t appear to have many advocates. Despite the fact it is probably achievable in 10-20 years with the under 40s in England being absolutely vastly and overwhelmingly pro-European and much more closely aligned with the political views of Scotland.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    davecg69 and ChilcoSaint like this.
  16. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

To some extent it is personal with me. Never mind the policíes he advocates, he comes across as very arrogant, pig-headed and a bully. These are detestable traits in anyone let alone a PM, so the sooner he geta his comeuppance at the ballot box, the better.

StJabbo1 and davecg69 like this.
  17. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

I think this is just the nature of society now. We gave up on homogenisation and decided to make difference the stand out discussion point. Forget all poor people suffer, let's split them up into different races and get them fighting with each other. And this is what the left do and have failed to fight against: there are more poor white Brits out there than poor anything else and nobody is championing them. Nobody is saying you are systematically abused. However, the Tories are giving them a different angry narrative to get behind. Labour seem to be just shaking their heads at the poor in a patronising manner.

The right and the media are dominant, but who exactly do the left represent?

The Ides of March likes this.
  18. saintrichie123

Unbelievable......labour haven’t been in power for over a decade but WTAF?

19. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

People are so unbelievably stupid. I can't help thinking the intelligence of the nation has deteriorated. I blame reality TV.

davecg69 likes this.
  20. saintrichie123

I blame the right wing press, Sun,Mail, Express etc for feeding bollocks to their readers ........

davecg69 likes this.