1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

As my part-time, post retirement, job, I put out the newspapers in a supermarket, which gives me the chance to peruse all of the headlines. In the past week, I've noticed that papers have reported on the fuel queues, in their own way, apart from The Daily Mail. They have studiously ignored this issue, preferring to have anything else as a headline, rather than admit that there is a problem, which may in some, vague, unimportant way, have a tenuous link to Brexit, which is, of course, a complete success.

San Tejón and Archers Road like this.
  2. milton archer

milton archer Well-Known Member

If there's another paper worse...may I nominate the Express which manages to put a positive political spin in Spaffers favour on any bad-news story.

3. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Brexit’s going really well actually. When Christmas comes and the food runs out, that’ll be down to something else entirely <ok>

4. Lemons and Oranges

The problems will be down to Unexpected Seasonal Darkness, which will no longer happen, now that we are free from the shackles of Europe. And reality.

5. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I would add Andy Burnham!!

San Tejón likes this.
  6. The Ides of March

Why is British polítics so divisive? This past weekend we have witnessed a GE in Germany. And the outcome of that is that differing parties will set asíde their differences to form a Government for.the good of Germany. If Labour ever wants to form a Government for the good of the UK it should back PR.as an essential.and work.on forming a Government with the Lib Dems, Greens, PC, the SDLP, Alliance and SNP, so it will need to drop its unionist ideals to.accommodate the SNP

7. The Ides of March

A very smartly dressed person, I would say. If you want a scruff bag, look no further than the so-called UK Prime Minister.

8. tiggermaster

tiggermaster Well-Known Member

Apparently 56% in favour, but non binding.. Will put real pressure on local politicians..

San Tejón likes this.
  9. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

Someone who knows what a matching pair of shoes looks like and what foot to put them on would be a good start. We all dodged a bullet there.

10. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

For what it’s worth, I recently read that Wikipedia will not allow the Mail to be used as a point of reference, owing to the fact that it is so unreliable when it comes to reporting facts.
    Says it all for me.
    I do wonder, though, if their readers, and those of the Express and Sun have any idea what is really happening in this country, because if they KNOW their chosen paper is telling lies, or not reporting facts, why do they continue to pay for them?

Lemons and Oranges likes this.

11. The Ides of March

We dodged a bullet? We got Johnson for heaven's sake!!!!

StJabbo1 and Shandy_top_89 like this.
  12. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

John Bercow has signed up with the Labour Party now, bet Keith is worried as JB would be the type of personality that would attract support if he had leadership ambition.

San Tejón likes this.
  13. The Ides of March

The prime objective should be to destroy Johnson!!!! Nothing else matters!!!!!! If it takes JB to down him I would be more than happy., but someone somewhere needs to hang to knife twister out to dry.

davecg69 likes this.
  14. It's Only A Game

And whose fault is that? All the while that Labour puts up unelectables from the far left like Corbyn, Abbott, McDonnell and Long-Bailey, we will always be governed by Conservatives.

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  15. The Ides of March

I would have thought Johnson, Mogg, Raab and Patel were equally unpalatable! Sooner or later the electorate will tire itself of the Tories, as in 1997. The conundrum for Labour is Scotland, and as a unionist party it is unlikely to win many seats from the SNP. Therefore it needs to adopt PR as oñe of its acts in its manifestó

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    StJabbo1 and Shandy_top_89 like this.
  16. Lemons and Oranges

To quote from 'Glad to be gay' by Tom Robinson, "It's there in the paper, it must be the truth"

17. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

"We all" speak for yourself. Dianne Abbott has more integrity and ability than spaffer Johnson and his cabinet of sycophantic incompetents combined. The handling of the pandemic and brexshit together with the ongoing lies, deceit and corruption will. I hope, lead to a day of reckoning.

San Tejón and ChilcoSaint like this.
  18. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Reality stopped happening some time ago,it feels like

19. It's Only A Game

Well the public obviously didn't think so and Labour's worst election result since 1935 seems to bear that out.

The thing is, this was a conversation about the political abilities of Diane Abbott because you put a post up about her. It's not always necessary to turn it into a rant about the government (even if they deserve it). We already have plenty of those to read but we don't get much on here about the short comings of the Labour party and why they don't put up a credible alternative, which in my opinion, at this time, is a ridiculous position to be in.
    I don't agree with you at all about Abbott, she is a liability and a subject of ridicule. Unfortunately, she is not alone in the party and a change in government seems a long way off.

20. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

She is a subject of ridicule because the Tory-led media make her one. In reality she is an exceptionally capable and intelligent political operator. Her constituents in Hackney North certainly think so, the re-elected her in 2019 with 70% of the vote share. While this was a drop of nearly 5% on 2017 it was less than the drop in Labour’s vote nationally. Bearing in mind the hatred for her stoked by the press, which you have obviously listened to, that’s quite remarkable. It certainly bucks the trend shown in the Red Wall seats.