1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

This is awful. RIP and every sympathy with his family and friends. Sadly this will give Patel even more strength to her argument to make protesting more difficult

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  2. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

3. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

4. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

And who’s responsible for the most divisive policies in this country? When the media vilify certain politicians and call people who disagree with right wing policies “traitors”, plus call for boats containing women and children to be pushed back into the sea and never mind if they drown, then it’s no wonder that there’ll be sad individuals who do the most appalling things.

Archers Road likes this.
  5. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

And there was me thinking Sky News got their opinion for this story from this Board.

My mistake Dave, right you are.

6. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

The Daily Mail today has reported: ".....according to a new study, most untruths are told by a few ‘super-liars’ and the rest of us are in fact fairly honest."

So now you know Alexander Johnson otherwise known as Spaffer ****ing Johnson is a super liar.

davecg69 and StJabbo1 like this.
  7. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

I've had that worked out for years as have his educators, wives, employers and colleagues. Ironic reporting from the Mail given its proven history of misleading information AKA lies and its ban from use as a source on Wikipedia.

8. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

If and when the by-election is held in the constituency of the late David Amess, I hope Labour and the Liberal Demócrats stand asíde, and let it proceed almost uncontested. This is because neither party has anything to gain, and after the awfulness of the incident it might be prudent not to participate in a campaign that could be divisive as well as fruitless.

9. StJabbo1

Strongly disagree. It didn't happen at the by-election following the murder of Jo Cox quite the contrary.

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  10. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Just because the Tories didn't stand aside, it shouldn't result in Labout following a similar route. My own view is that dignity needs to be restored to politics and if Labour and Lib Dems did this, I think this would be a massive statement towards this. I also think Labour would gain a lot more credibility (and votes) than if they decide not to put up a candidate to contest this particular seat.on this occasion.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021

11. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I think both parties have said that they won’t stand for the election.

12. San Tejón

The 3 biggest Super Liars are the Mail, Express and Sun, the 3 papers that elect the government every election.
    No need to go to the polls whilst these 3 lie sheets exist, to pervert the minds of their readership.

davecg69 likes this.
  13. StJabbo1

I stand corrected https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-amess-southend-west-by-election-b1939796.html It was a later by-election where Goerge Galloway stood amongst allegations of dirty tricks. https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ection-dirty-tricks-after-fake-labour-leaflet

14. San Tejón

More evidence of just how contemptible the Mail is.

upload_2021-10-18_12-3-20.jpeg

ChilcoSaint, StJabbo1 and davecg69 like this.
  15. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

That is simply despicable. I feel physically sick reading that. Utter trash paper, not fit to wipe a dog’s arsehole.

16. San Tejón

The government must reveal the names of the companies that benefited from the PPE VIP fast lane. Hopefully we will also learn which MP put them forward and what financial links there might be between them and the company, either individual or party.
    Failure to comply could open the doors for a contempt of court charge (that is assuming the government doesn’t try to change yet another law in their favour to prevent this).

“Good Law Project has successfully forced the Government to reveal the names of the 47 companies in the PPE VIP lane.

The Information Commissioner has ordered the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) to disclose the names of these 47 companies to us within 35 calendar days.

The Information Commissioner wrote in her decision earlier today:

“The DHSC has not disclosed the requested information, nor advised the Commissioner that it considers it is otherwise exempt by virtue of another exemption. The DHSC has therefore failed to comply with its obligations under FOIA.”

She also warned that “failure to comply may result in the Commissioner making written certification of this fact to the High Court pursuant to section 54 of the Act and may be dealt with as a contempt of court”.

The Immensa scandal – in which the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) found at least 43,000 people may have wrongly been given a negative Covid test result – is a powerful further reminder of the harm that can result to public health from opaque contracting arrangements with unsuitable counterparties.

As soon as the company names are shared with us, we will publish them.

Good Law Project will continue working to expose the staggering waste – and sleaze – of the £12.5bn PPE VIP bonanza.

Thank you,

Jo Maugham - Good Law Project”

17. San Tejón

Another good video from Momentum, showing links between Russian money and the Tory party.

davecg69, ChilcoSaint and StJabbo1 like this.
  18. StJabbo1

Time for a slice of Pie.

davecg69, San Tejón and ChilcoSaint like this.
  19. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Whilst there is some truth in this, it’s worth bearing in mind that newspapers are businesses, and businesses only thrive by giving their customers what they want. The wider point being that the prejudice, rage, and fear which these papers propagate, is the same prejudice, rage and fear their readers recognise in themselves.

20. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

Not wishing to defend the Mail here, but what they seem to have made up in this case is saying that the priest spoke directly to them. The rest of the story appears to be correct. When I read the BBC version it struck me that he was indignant about not being allowed to administer the last rites because it was a crime scene. Did he really expect to get access to David Ames in those circumstances?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-58946222