1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Found out this morning that the last 6 PMs have all had different lecterns, outside No10.
    WTF is that all about?

2. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

I’ve noticed this at my work. A bunch of accountants earning well above average and most in two income households (unlike me) are starting to notice and comment. And these are the types who have likely fixed their mortgages so are not vulnerable to one of the biggest recent cost spikes

3. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I think everyone has noticed the price rises and cost of everything. The difference is that some people have to make 1st world decisions like whether they should still go to the gym and others whether they should eat.

Those that are 'worried' about the gym are the ones that will defect from Tories to Labour IMO

4. thereisonlyoneno7

Agree 100%

Class system is a load of bollocks. Is it still here though? I don't refer to myself as working or middle class. I work so if there was a class system I must be working class?

The only people that think about class now IMO are the old Etonians we have in charge. And that is because they wrongly feel superior.

5. tiggermaster

tiggermaster Well-Known Member

And you think you're so clever and classless and free
    But you're still f*****g peasants as far as I can see..

Working Class Hero
    John Lennon

6. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

In your opinion, of course :emoticon-0105-wink:

Not saying you are wrong, but it isn’t de facto, and No 7 has a valid opinion.

I mean, for all we know, Rishi could do a great job. I think No 7 is suggesting we are stuck with him for a couple of years before a GE, so let him get on with it, rather that deciding it will be the same as before, when we dont yet know the outcome.

Id rather be positive than have the alternative view, and still think no matter who gets in will always piss money up the wall. It’s all rather futile.

Still funny seeing how angry people get over it though <laugh>

7. Negative Creep

I dont consider class ever. It tends to be working class people who do consider it though, most other people I know just get the hell on with it, why should it matter.

I guess this is what happens when they let social housing as a must on high class developments, should never have allowed it all to mix up <whistle>

8. Negative Creep

I find the decisions even harder for me. Im not sure which country residence to dwell in over winter, the one with the home gym, or the other one with the home cinema…

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  9. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

It’s hilarious. Sadly people have been dying in large numbers as a direct result of the Tories’ austerity for the last 12 years, so I’m so glad you find humour in the ****show.

10. Negative Creep

Well, twisting words here aren’t you.

Firstly, i dont agree with this, and secondly, i never said i found it funny if people were dying.

I said I find peoples reactions to politics to be funny, ive been pretty consistent saying this over the years.

And with your response, point proved.

11. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

The other side of that coin is, there is still the residue of a 'masters and servants' mentality in England, whereby people instinctively look up to Old Etonians, and assume they are fit to govern just by virtue of being born into that class. In any country other than England, no one would think of making Jacob Ree-Mogg a minister.

12. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Well done. I made the mistake of engaging with you once again. Hope you have a good day Billy.

13. Negative Creep

Oh pipe down Chilco ffs. I was not being totally serious, and you came over as very strong that No 7 was wrong, i was pointing out that he was entitled to an opinion, something you chose to ignore now I come to think of it.

Enjoy your day also, I didnt want to get into a ruck with you or cause offence, although I am being sincere, i rather suspect you were not :emoticon-0106-cryin

14. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

I was being sincere mate, and I apologise for being in a snot, both with you and with no7 last night. I just lose a bit of patience sometimes when after 12 years of carnage people still think the Tories can sort out the mess they are entirely responsible for.

15. Negative Creep

Fair enough, and I agree btw.

I do think though, and agree with No 7 on this, that we should try to see what Rishi does first before casting judgement, and in that sense I will be behind him.

Bearing in mind, it is likely to affect my pockets when he (or in 2024 when Labour), get in.

I only voted once when I was 18, never voted since as largely i think they are all a bunch of tossers, whichever side of the fence one sits.

Next GE, I will be voting however, it wont be Conservative.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  16. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

One of his first acts as PM yesterday was to reappoint Suella Braverman as Home Sec, a week after she was sacked for serious data breaches. That isn't an act of party unity, that is someone who is in debt to the ERG wing of his party, and all that implies.

17. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I genuinely hate this man.

18. thereisonlyoneno7

I will now rejoin this after lighting the flame :)

FWIW in my opinion, I wasn't talking bollocks, but neither were you. The problem with politics is that either you are left or right, but there is no middle ground.

I agree that the best thing for the country would be for them to implode today and cause a general election - that won't happen. If the last few months have taught us anything it is that it seems nothing will cause an early GE. So my point that we are stuck with him (or the tories) for 2 years is also valid as we can't change that, Unity in the tory party isn't the number one priority for the country, but without unity in a team the situation will get worse and worse. They all need to be singing off the same song sheet to govern in any way and maybe we will get back some things. I have said time and time again I sit right of centre, but would not vote tory as they are. I don't think that will change in 2024, but I am hoping that the bumbling and downright criminality of Boris and the chaos of Liz is over and things will be more sensible now. Not saying it will, but i hope it will.

It doesn't mean I agree with what they are and have done, it is just that I can't change it and the rules state I can only have a say once unto every 5 years.

FWIW I think 5 years for any government is about right before they are put to the vote - it takes that long to get policies underway. The issue we have now (and in the past to be fair) is that after 12 years of a tory government, things are so far removed from a labour government that it will take longer than 5 years to fix it and in the mean time labour will be blaming the tories the whole time. Then after 5 years, maybe they get in again, 5 years later the country need a change and the tories win and blame labour. Rinse and repeat.

Many I know think i sit on the fence a lot, but maybe we need a mixture of right and left wing policies... or a centre party.

Going back to the quote i quoted - 100% how can someone resign from a role as they breached the rules then 6 days later it is all forgotten. I have no answer to why, except on his first day that was an incredible own goal - probably better than Santiago Vergini's own goal for Saints in that 8-0 demolition of Sunderland.

19. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Can’t disagree with any of that, although I have a feeling Sue-Ellen (her real name btw) might prove to be Rishi’s downfall sooner rather than later. She is toxic, and as close to outright fascism as we have ever seen in one of the high offices of a British government. And in any other era, what she did by sending secret data in non-secure emails to non-signatories of the Official Secrets Act should have had her not just sacked but prosecuted and banned from holding office.

By the way, if you didn’t see my apology to you in my earlier reply to Billy, I repeat it here. My language was uncalled for.

davecg69 and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  20. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

I’m intrigued by the commentary around how a labour government will hit certain people in the pockets. I’m not saying it won’t. But we are at the highest tax for a long time and our money isn’t going as far in large part due to policies pushed by a conservative government (our energy bills are higher than Europe, people with variable mortgages have been shafted and inflation is being made worse by bad exchange rates and increased costs linked to trading with Europe)

All whilst our public services are being cut to the bone

And yet there rarely in the general discourse seems to be comments about a conservative government hitting people in the pockets. Indeed I expect the line from above about a labour government hitting people in the pockets will be wheeled out come election time

It just rings pretty hollow right about now

It’s not too far removed from the bold claims made by many conservatives that “imagine what it would be like under labour. It would be so much worse”. As if this were absolutely unarguable. They often find that is all they feel the need to say as well

davecg69 and ChilcoSaint like this.