1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

Your father-in-law is without doubt one of the finest investigative journalists we have ever had.

A truly great man.

2. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Thank you Kaito. Feeling very proud of him today. He's a very good gardener too <laugh>

He's 80 years old now, and was up at 4:30am to come in and do the Today programme, then off on a train up to Lancaster for a literary festival, back to Manchester tomorrow for another interview. He's quite a mini-Attenborough!

3. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I think that the last 6 months have seen a seismic shift with our political leaders. In the UK, the ousting of both Boris Johnson and Liz Trust has effectively seen the diminution in the powers of the more fringe and extremist elements of the Conservatives. The forces within the party that forced through Brexit strike me as being totally discredited and I don't think that there is anyone, from whatever political persuasion, who would argue that Sunak is not an improvement. If you like, it is a return to more "sensible" politics, I am not surprised that Sunak's popularity is having an impact on the polls when the likes of Starmer does not really offer a proper alternative. This change was first witnessed with the the loss of the US election by Trump and the Bolsonaro in Brazil. I would tend to see this as a global reaction following the disastrous impact of these politicians, especially during COVID when they lost all creibility.

Despite this, I am wondering if there has been an even more significant sea-change which has been over-looked? I think that whilst we can all breath a sigh of reflief with the reparture of Johnson and his ilk, the resignation of both Jacinda Ahern on New Zealand and Nicola Sturgeon in Scotland is more of a catastrophy. For me, both politicians seemed like the future - female leaders who were both very confident and had the effect of making their male counterparts looking extremely old-fashioned. For my money, Sturgeon was easily the most effective and genuinely sincere about pursuing a more progressive agenda. You could argue that she was the most important and radically different political leader in the UK since Margaret Thatcher. I was shocked that she resigned and the fall out does make you wonder that the SNP is coalition of different factions as opposed to a party united on all fronts. I wish that both Ahern and Sturgeon had remained in power long enough to demonstrate that politicians of their ilk were the ones to genuinely change things for the better. It is a shame that they have both decided to quit since they were politicians that captured the imagination and looked and behaved like politicians who would do things differently. I think that their demise has been very disappointed and totally unexpected.

4. Le Tissier's Laces

Interesting watching real-time how things like Twitter play out. There's already theories coming out in comments about "why now" and speculating that the government, the BBC etc etc are releasing all this for a nefarious reason.

It's quite simply that Peter has just finished his book. That's "why now". Funny seeing how the conspiracies are birthed and take hold though.

MIsaints and StJabbo1 like this.
  5. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Lest we forget.

Vin

6. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

7. It's Only A Game

I could have, I've got loads more, I was just short of time.

And isn't using "tired old cliches" a cliche in itself?

milton archer and StJabbo1 like this.
  8. It's Only A Game

It's a pity you can't show the same respect for his son in law who you inferred to be a ****wit yesterday.
    LTL and I had a spat ourselves last week and he probably doesn't like me that much but he certainly isn't a ****wit. You should apologise.

9. Le Tissier's Laces

Oh god no, please!

I'm an adult, and realise that forums and social media are unique breeding grounds for misunderstanding and misinterpretation! I think no more of less about anyone on here because of any daft spats or disagreements. No need for any apologies!

10. It's Only A Game

Whether it was at you or anyone else, calling them a ****wit is unnecessary. It also confirms what I have said about this politics board many times is that if you say something that goes against the general view you get abuse for it.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023

11. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

The conspriraloons won't accept such a simple and logical explanation. Still amazes me that there are those that take the twats that twitter easily debunked nonsense and repost without the most rudimentary of checks.

12. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

When the argument lowers itself to abuse, then that argument is lost! You and I.had a falling out over Dianne Abbott and I had to stop because I accused you of being something which may have been false, so.now happily eating una tarta de manzana!!

StJabbo1 likes this.
  13. StJabbo1

I've won loads of arguments by your criteria.

The Ides of March likes this.
  14. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Oh no you haven't you!!!!

15. StJabbo1

Oh no I did so.....

The Ides of March likes this.
  16. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

I hold my hands up and apologise unreservedly to Laces for implying he was a ****wit.

That was completely out of order and uncalled for.

17. Le Tissier's Laces

Oh ffs! I didn’t think you did at all (and on many occasions you would absolutely be correct!) Honestly no need at all!

milton archer likes this.
  18. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

I think you are all ****wits and I make no apologies for it.

Apply your own ****witted colour ink here.

Le Tissier's Laces likes this.
  19. Le Tissier's Laces

Now this I agree with!

......loading...... likes this.
  20. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

This is ****ing insane.

No due diligence at all - could be selling themselves to foreign intelligence agencies.
    No care about their country or constituents.

Absolute scum bags.