1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Just noticed it was on BBC 2 tonight, a 35 minute show ……I will have to catch that on catch up.

Le Tissier's Laces likes this.
  2. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Please do. It’s an amazing story.

3. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Sleaze dog slimebags.

Shandy_top_89 likes this.
  4. Le Tissier's Laces

Amusing to see how incompetent with number Kwaseng seems to be, but...

...oh god...

I'm going to get myself in trouble here.

Look, I don't think MPs should have second/third jobs as a rule, particularly because it can conflict with interests, but if we don't want MPs to have second or third jobs, they need to be paid a lot more. As in, as much as they could get paid privately. Otherwise nobody is realistically going to want to become an MP.

That's not the case now though, and I don't have an issue (as a result) with an MP exploring what external companies would want from them and what they would pay, which is what appears to be happening here (and in particular with MPs whose careers are going down the pan, as these ones are - they need to re-establish earnings).

It'll be interesting to see what comes out next on this, but working on the marketing premise that you at least drop some kind of bomb in the trailer. I'm not sure there's an awful lot here, is there? Am I missing anything?

I take what you say about foreign intelligence, but surely before *accepting* any job offer, the requisite due diligence would occur? If the programme shows that it doesn't/didn't - well, yes, that's a lot more concerning than anything they've shown here.

5. Le Tissier's Laces

Just to clarify (because I feel I need to!) - this is just me asking a question, not saying "ah no, it's all good".

6. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

Well, I have been told by friends who have assisted MPs that it is a pretty full on job. These guys don’t have time to waste several days a month working for outside companies. Add to that that these are millionaires already.

But for me the key point is: these arsehole expect teachers and nurses to survive on ****ing nothing yet can’t even focus on their own jobs we pay them to do for the years they are elected to do them. What enormous ****ing ****s. I know teachers who work in bars at weekends to pay the rent and these enormous cancers on society are galavanting from their paid and elected jobs to earn tens of thousands from foreign companies.
    How tone deaf. How selfish. How ****ed.

7. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Yeah. MPs should:

- Be paid a very generous wage.
    - Be bound by law to divest any holdings that might potentially conflict with their job, and have their immediate relatives do the same.

8. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

For me, the Led by Donkeys thing loses credibility by approaching 20 MPs (as far as I can tell) with 16 of those Tories. Of course they will get more headlines by the very nature the only asked a couple of labour and a couple of Libs I think.

Surely this would have been better and more impactful had they approached the same number of MPs and produced results of each. Also is it worth noting it is likely to be more appealing for potential clients to require services of those incumbent in Government, would that also hold some away?

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  9. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I think you’ll find it was just the Tories - surprise, surprise - who took the bait, not that they were the only ones approached. I could be wrong there but I doubt it.

10. Negative Creep

Maybe, think i read they approach 20 MPs in total. Be interesting to find out what the total was and the mix. If they did only approach 20, of which 80% is of the ones they are trying to prove a point of, then it is pretty poor by them. Also,m not sure if LBDs is really a nuanced piece anyhow - their main objective is to run the Tories down. Considering they do a good enough job of doing that themselves im d sure they need much help - but LBDs is only ever going to put stuff out to make a point.

Personally, I dont see what is wrong with making more money, as long as it doesn’t interfere (yeah, i know) in their main MP job.

I have been asked to get involved in other work outside my main employment, from time to time, does that make me the same as money grabbing Tory MPs? Is it any different from people doing overtime imn their current role? Probably yes, but there is a similarity. I guess the difference is the amount people ear, which is the crux of the matter, and i dont see people earning well as an issue. If people dont earn well, currently, how can we afford to support people who earn less well and need support?

Im happy with my approach to life and money. I earn more than the average MP salary, and will always look to earn more money. I fail to see what is wrong with that, yet this place (not saying you Archers, although you may now!) seemingly detests people earning money. Pretty sure No7 had an issue discussing this a while back.

Le Tissier's Laces likes this.

11. Negative Creep

@Archers Road

Former Tory ministers agreed to advise fake overseas company for £10,000 in sting operation
    Led By Donkeys, an anti-Brexit campaign group, created a sham company before approaching 20 MPs from different parties asking if they would join the phoney firm's international advisory board.

According to its preview video posted on social media, Led By Donkeys said 16 of the MPs approached were Tory, two Labour, one a Liberal Democrat and the other an independent.

12. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

If you attract people whose main motivation Is money(by making the basic job paid better) then surely you’re more likely to have people who would be susceptible to these kinds of extra incomes?
    Much like other jobs in the public service there should be a more intangible reason for someone to make this their career.

I don’t know exactly how much an MP is paid, but I know it’s enough for a comfortable life

13. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

I think this is a pretty valid point.

MPs should be extremely well paid. But before this happens, they should be experts in their respective fields.

For example; the head of healthcare services should have worked in the NHS for a minimum amount of time. The head of the armed forces should have worked in the military for a minimum amount of time, etc.

As it stands, they just appoint their pals with zero real world experience into these jobs and then everyone is surprised that the country is going tits up. They don’t deserve a high salary; because they are ****ing useless. I wouldn’t trust any of the people in that video to run a bath, let alone the country.

Also as it stands, there is absolutely no way they should be allowed second jobs. It’s an absolute outrage in my opinion. How can they focus on the country when they are busy whoring themselves out to the highest bidder? It’s morally & ethically disgusting.

I think it’s one more clear example (as if we needed another) that democracy is broken beyond repair currently.

14. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Why did they not ask for a Sinn Fein.representative? Very biased!!

15. Negative Creep

See ive always found this practice really odd, no matter who is in charge, they move people around into other positions, from Education, to health, to defence etc.

You’d never get any other field blindly move people around into jobs unless they were suited. Well, maybe in the NHS as they cant help but waste money imo.

But why do we have jack of all trades trying to head up important areas of the country. ****ing bonkers.

16. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I don't detest people earning money, we all have to pay the bills. I take a pretty dim view of people who earn money dishonestly, especially when they do so at the expense of other hard working people.

17. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

I watched Peter Taylor's film on the BBC and came away smiling that firstly, he certainly doesn't look 80years old. It was like watching his earlier films from the Troubles when he was unique in being able to present facts and often trajoc stories from both side of the conflict, without ever becoming partisan or judgemental. He looks so well and he still has that steely, but kindly look in his eyes, which seems to see through the smoke to the truth he is chasing. You can't help but love him for being such a gentle but also a tenacious journalist who will get to the heart of the matter.

I was so touched by Robert, who clearly wanted Peter to hear the truth, and for it to be known that it was all done in an effort to bering peace and stability to Northern Ireland. As much as Robert was instrumental in putting his life on the line to help to bring the conflict to a close, Peter Taylor was also a messanger risking his life, and making an enormous impact in showing ordinary people like me there were two sides to this conflict.

My lasting thoughts are that I wish the BBC had spent more time on this and given more space to Peter and Robert, and others who were there at the time. I will definitely buy the book and I hope one day it is converted to an audio book, read by Peter.

Please send my appreciation to your father-in-law. There are many folk who recognise that he really is quite a remarkable journalist and stands alongside John Pilger, the Photographer Don McCullin and David Attenborough as true masters of their art.

18. Le Tissier's Laces

That’s incredibly kind, Kaito, and I’ve forwarded your words to Peter. I’m sure he’ll be incredibly touched (especially regarding the not looking 80 part!)

The audiobook has already been recorded by Peter, so you will indeed be able to listen!

19. Le Tissier's Laces

He is extremely grateful, and says he won’t be able to get his head out of the train door after that <laugh>

20. milton archer

milton archer Well-Known Member

Makes note to see this. My current favourite BBC reporter is Jeremy Bowen, just finished reading his latest book "The Making of the Modern Middle East" sign copy as I have particular interest, well worth a read! We are blessed with many grind journalists not least Steve Rosenberg.