1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

what happens after the 2 year extension?

2. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

It was the case when I posted that as per a government statement. The Dutch and French had sent ships on Wednesday but we have finally decided to send an appropriate response and send HMS Ocean which carries over 1000 men. (Not sure if it is actually carrying that)

Shows how much the government ****ed up with that initial estimation on what response was needed.

3. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Unless Congress passes a bill allowing them to stay and Trump signs it, the they will lose their right to work and they will be deported. Or at least the US will try to deport them. There's a lot of them. It could take awhile.

ImpSaint likes this.
  4. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

If they can not reach some kind of agreement within 2 years, then they should all be sacked. My thinking is that a bill allowing them to stay, whilst working to become full citizens will pass by about 70%. The tax payers have spent millions on each of them, let them become Americans and pay back their debt.

ImpSaint likes this.
  5. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

There WAS a bill allowing them to stay and become full citizens. In fact there were five or six bills. At least. None of them passed, because of the far right wing. They hated those bills so much that they wouldn't vote for any GOP nominee who had supported them. That's why Bush and Rubio got destroyed in the primaries.

They have always had the numbers. There's a lot more involved than just getting a majority vote, though. They just can't beat some of the Freedom Caucus in the House, or get a veto-proof majority in the Senate.

errr.... no.

6. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

Apologies for another NHS related rant, but as some of you may know it's a subject near to my shrivelled heart.

My wife who remains strangely positive about being a nurse has worked hard to get her masters and also qualify as an independent prescriber. The NHS has benefited, she has for years run prescribing clinics in mental health enabling clients to get quicker access and better monitoring.

Three months ago, at her NHS trust's invitation, she became involved in the on call duty Dr rota for east Dorset. Though not a Dr she's actually better trained than most who take this role, it's usually very junior or a locum Dr who does this. It's been a success in that she enjoys the work and ward based staff like having someone admit and prescribe for clients who knows their stuff and the locality/structure.

She will sadly this weekend work her last shift. Why? Well for a start the NHS has not paid her a penny for the six spells of duty so far done. Despite many requests they cannot even tell her what rate of pay she'll get (bare in mind it certainly will be A LOT less than the Doctors she shares the rota with). I personally doubt she would be professionally covered without a contract in place which really worries me. My anxieties are further raised as this mirrors some of the experiences which demotivated myself a few years ago.

The point is many clinical staff in the NHS want to be flexible and pro-active but are poorly served by managers.
    My wife, and the other nurse who agreed to take on this role, are not money grabbing. They just want to be paid about a third of what it would've cost the NHS to continue employing locum Doctors.

Oh, and of course they have further eroded the motivation of good staff. Idiots.

7. benditlikeabanana

Errrr. Yes

Trump is showing that he is more than willing to work with the Democrats if he finds the Republicans non responsive. For the last 8 years the Republicans have spent their time just blocking Obama, they will soon learn to work with Trump or he will just bypass them. A new legal DACA replacement could be made at the beginning of next week as all parties want it done, should pass the Senate easily

ImpSaint likes this.
  8. VocalMinority

We're now starting to fly over troops to the Caribbean. I don't know how May can call this a swift response when we could and should have been doing this before the storm even hit like the French.

9. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Has the government managed to do anything at all apart from deal with Brexit (you know the thing that was going to be straightforward) over the past year? They are like rabbits in the headlights and can't give any attention to anything else at all.

They remind me of my daughter learning to drive. Their entire focus is on not running off the road as regards Brexit and, same as her, they wouldn't notice a nuclear weapon going off a mile away.

Vin

VocalMinority likes this.
  10. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

<laugh> let me know when and where your daughter is having her next driving lesson, so I can avoid the area.

Brexit, unfortunately, is oroving a bit harder to avoid.

Onionman likes this.

11. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

Seems they're ok now

12. Archers Road

It's not fair to compare our response to the French, as French colonies in the Caribean remain exactly that - colonies. They are governed directly from Paris, unlike UK dependencies which are self governing.

It's a fair guess that the French - who, mostly on the quiet, maintain military bases all over their former Empire to a far greater extent than we do - already had considerable military resources in the area.

I'm not trying to defend our govt's response to this specific disaster; but your original post suggests that you are probably unaware of the amount of humanitarian work British Forces overseas are routinely involved in. In peacetime that's a good % of what the Royal Marines, for example, actually do.

13. Archers Road

Noe that the storm's abated?

14. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Hurricane José has been upgraded to Category 4 and is expected to strike the Leeward Islands including Barbuda in the near future. Gulp.

15. VocalMinority

I'm not sure what you are saying is wrong with my original post considering what I said to do is exactly what the government has done half a day later, taking a large number of troops off a training exercise and send them to the disaster.

I am now complaining about our response time. Both France and the Dutch started sending ships earlier that us, which is irrespective of distance. And when we did respond we sent an auxiliary ship designed to support forces on the ground. However there were no forces to support as it's our island. And it certainly wouldn't have stopped us flying in resources in advance rather than days after the storm hit.

I read something as the storm hit to say our troops on the region were stationed on ships rather than in base like the French so they could be mobile, but if that strategy doesn't allow them to do what they are there to do which is to defend our citizens then it clearly needs a rethink.

16. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

Use your brain. There are 800,000 registered DACA recipients. Multiply that by "millions." That is a ridiculous, obviously completely mind-bogglingly absurd sum. For a group of people that were until a few years ago, ineligible for any Federal aid.

A DACA replacement will take longer than a week. Nothing in Congress gets done in a week. If it were that simple, then why did Obama have to issue an Executive Order to get DACA done?

Why would the Democrats work with Trump? They don't want the wall, or a travel ban, or tax reform or any of the things that Trump wants. And Trump just slashed the **** out of every program the Democrats want. And no, the Dems cannot just bypass the Republicans in Congress. The GOP controls every committee. The Democrats can't even get their bills on the floor for a vote. Nothing would even reach Trump.

He is using the threat of working with Democrats to try to pressure the Republicans into backing his agenda.
    What Trump wants is to for the Republicans to get rid of the Senate filibuster. Then all they need is a simple majority in the Senate, which they have. That would have been enough to repeal Obamacare.

The issue is this is kind of a hollow threat. Trump's base is mainly the far right wing. They would be aghast if all of a sudden Trump started touting liberal bills. He would lose all his supporters.

What Trump also doesn't get is that the Democrats are not the problem. The fact that he can't get along with Republicans is the problem. That and the things he wants aren't that popular, and he doesn't help them at all. He makes it worse. Trump's problem is himself.

The far right and moderate right cannot agree. It's Trump's job to unite them and get stuff done. What Trump does instead is distance himself and then blame them whenever they fail. If they somehow succeed, then he takes the credit. When Trump is supposed to talk about tax reform, he goes off script and creates a race controversy instead. Now every one in the GOP has to spend a week defending the party and getting asked questions about Trump. Same thing with the Russia investigation. Trump creates messes and asks the GOP to clean it up, then gets mad and tries to blame them when nothing gets done.

Onionman likes this.
  17. benditlikeabanana

18. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

19. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

Yep. And education is by far the biggest expense related to illegal immigration.

The idea that the main cost of DACA is the administrative expenses of running it is absurd. Think of the amount of time and expense involved to educate a student in a classroom face-to-face for 13 years. How could that possibly cost less than processing a DACA application?

20. benditlikeabanana

It seems to have stalled, I saw a prediction that it will strengthen in the next couple of days, and be drawn towards New York area because of the low pressure caused by the previous hurricane