1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

It's certainly a load of cults
    I came over to the light about 2 1/2 years ago Jabbo, once I realised that there was no realistic solution to the Irish border, and that there was actually no plan at all.
    I've been wrong many times in my life, but I never blindly follow a path just because I started in that direction

2. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

Indeed. Definition of Salvation

preservation or deliverance from harm, ruin, or loss.

Oh the irony!

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Well apart from being a Saints fan, of course <laugh>

4. Schrodinger's Cat

Fair point, and well made. OK, I'm stubbornly loyal to certain illogical decisions too

Osvaldorama and fatletiss like this.
  5. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

it's obvious that Boris Johnson couldn't negotiate the price of an out of date Mars bar at a car boot sale so what happens on Oct 31st?

6. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

No one knows mate. Well, god might, but God ain't telling.

Certainly no human power knows how all this turns out, though plenty will pretend to. We just have to wait and see.

7. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Have a listen to actor Michael Sheen being interviewed by Owen Jones on how Brexit happened for Welsh mining communities. It's quite compelling and can provide quite a large part of the jigsaw. From November 2016, so the vibe was recent:

8. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I meant pushing the car when it fell apart. I wouldn't want to tar anyone's reputation.

9. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I would say it is more like a disease, a plague, the Black Death

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  10. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

Quite right. I met an old friend yesterday. He voted leave and isn't particularly bright. He has just been "let go" at the age of 59. He didn't want to discuss Brexit because he can't put forward any kind of rational case fir it. Like most Leavers he just falls back on "Well it's my opinion and I am entitled to it. Well actually you are not because it affects others. My best analogy is that it's like smoking next to a non smoker, they don't have the choice in not sharing the fallout of your stupidity.

San Tejón and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.

11. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Why so fatso........you voted the same as me? You expected to win as a remainer most people expected the remainers to get the vote? You didn’t and you’ve been bleating ever since. That is why parliament is in such a mess. The country is split over the matter.........so no it is no one sides fault........

12. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

If we are totally honest it's Cameron's "fault". The referendum was only given as a way of attempting to settle the issue that had already claimed two Tory PM's and has now claimed two more with a fifth awaiting to exit pursued by the EU bear. ( A Shakespeare reference if you are a Leaver)

Archers Road and Osvaldorama like this.
  13. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Absolutely. If he’d rigged it; sorry put some caveats in place like the swing would have to be 9% (?) to leave, rather than one single vote (imagine if that had happened!!) we wouldn’t be in this ****ing mess.

14. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

We are in this mess because no dealers are trying dragging their heels to try and bully those who want to have a soft Brexit into backing no deal to get Brexit through when the referendum clearly shows that soft Brexit has more support a no deal and no deal brexiters should be backing a soft Brexit.

But unless 96% of all those who voted leave back the same leave option remain have the majority. Thus no deal and soft Brexit continuously failing.

If you want Brexit, leavers have to work together or like with an election, if the biggest party fail to form a majority the opposition get a chance.

Archers Road and Osvaldorama like this.
  15. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Spot on, the very fact that the referendum was such a tight margin, shows that a softer deal should be the way forward.

I will never forgive the Tories. I've always been an "on the fence" voter that bases my vote on the manifestos. But I can't see that I will ever vote Tory again.

Archers Road likes this.
  16. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

There are a few hard boiled eggs it is true but the majority seem to want a deal. Why is it so hard to get one?

17. Schrodinger's Cat

Because of Ireland. NI want to be completely aligned with the rest of the UK. That CAN'T happen unless the whole of the UK stays within the customs union. The only deal that was actually written down and put to the vote (May's terrible deal) would not allow this.

It always comes back to the UK negotiators thinking that we could get a deal which would give us trade freedoms and non-allignment with EU policies which would completely undermine the structure and reason for the EU to exist - and then expecting the EU to bow it's head meekly and say OK.
    The EU cannot allow this, so they haven't done so hence no agreement. The only agreements available to the EU would not be acceptable to the Cake and Eat it brigade hence no agreements.

The only way to avert the disaster that is Brexit is to revoke Art50 and get on with business with the rest of the world.

18. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Why so? Because you've admitted voting to leave with no idea of what that meant.

I’m only still bleating because I actually care about my future and my families future and the future of my countrymen. From the moment Cameron even suggested having a referendum I said it shouldn’t happen. From that moment onwards until after the referendum we were given zero information telling us of the benefits of leaving. All we got wAs propaganda bullsh1t. Now we are four years further on and still no good news. You blame the length of time; that’s bullsh1t because you not anybody else has ever been able to tell us why it will be good to leave.

Anyone voting to leave without any points to present about why it would be better, has put us here. “I just think it will be better” and “put the Great back in Great Britain” means nothing.

It’s a **** attitude that shows nothing to me but crazed xenophobia. Sadly, I put my Dad into that category too.

Oh and I won’t stop bleating about it. You think I’m bleating now, wait til we go and the **** hits the fan.

I firmly believe it is the leave voters fault, alongside the idiots that offered the vote without any proper rules in terms of what majority was needed.

19. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

^^Yep x1000. 100%

I do think you should get off the fence though fats and let us know which way you voted <laugh>

Archers Road and fatletiss like this.
  20. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Qatar continues to treat construction and associated workers badly, while building the 2022 World Cup stadia. Now, here is your chance to make all our high sounding opinions mean something - When it comes round, boycott it. Don't watch it, don't listen to it, don't read about it. Email your MP or a Sports Minister, about your objections to it. We can't just say all the right things and then do nothing. That is playing into the hands of everything you object to or stand against. Let's get the rest of Not606 to boycott it. Or stand alone here and do it. Boycotting takes no effort. You just don't do something. It's easy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49747688

Farked19 and Archers Road like this.