1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pompey Away

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by San Diego, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Where to begin? We are being harmed by the constant changing of the formation, not having a settled eleven, and our strikers look incapable of scoring. We’re starting the likes of Chambers week in, week out, who is even struggling at this level lately (his red card the latest mishap). Managers are outthinking us and looking tactically superior. Lambert needs to step up and actually get the best out of this squad. Eight games without a win just isn’t good enough. Without establishing a system and a settled starting eleven, we look like we are going to go the way of Sunderland, as well as numerous other clubs of our stature, and stick around at this level for a while.

Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  2. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Another **** match with no cohesion and no attacking threat. We don't shoot enough and can't create chances in the final third. Too many changes to the team too often has killed any momentum or confidence we gained from the first few weeks of the season.
    Portsmouth, like almost everyone we've played, looked organised and carried a threat up front. Paul decided to go with three at the back which was totally unnecessary given Pompey only had one up front. We were impotent in midfield and struggled to get a shot on goal in the first half. We changed to 4-4-2 during the second half and the subs played their part in slightly improving our performance.

Norris - man of the match for some good saves.
    Garbutt - our best attacker again. That really shouldn't be the case.
    Woolf - best of the defenders again. I felt he got sucked towards the ball too much for the Portsmouth goal. He should have been occupying the central position more.
    Nsiala - nightmare match. I would've subbed him for Donacien instead of Judge and put Skuse in midfield.
    Edwards - poor. Can't tackle and has no final product.
    Chambers - had a running battle with Harrison that culminated in a second yellow card and a sending off.
    Skuse - does his best work in midfield, not much to say about him today.
    Downes - some good tackles and a battling performance but couldn't help out in attack.
    Nolan - poor again, does not do enough for an attacking midfielder.
    Norwood - more whining than shooting again today, just not good enough
    Keane - poor, I thought he was getting better but he wasn't very good today.

Judge - better than Nolan today and should probably replace him in the starting eleven as Nolan has had plenty of chances and taken none of them
    Donacien - should've replaced Nsiala in the first half. Janoi added a bit more to the right hand side
    Jackson - brought energy and direct play to the game when we needed it

All in all that was crap again. Wrong tactics and ponderous play are the norm at the moment. There is no urgency at any point and we have no idea how to counterattack at pace.

3. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

There can be no doubt now that we are carrying some players who are not even 3rd division standard, Keane, Nsiala, Edwards, and Nolan are ineffective so just making up the numbers, we've got to move some out and get some better quality proven players in to replace them to stand a chance of getting out of this division.

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Time for a change?

Act now and have a chance at promotion. Act in two months’ time it looks like the promotion challenge will be dead.

5. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Can you really see Evans dipping in his pocket to pay Lambert off and try and attract someone better??

And who do you think we could get?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  6. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

I’ve said this before but with the current squad, I would have Kenlock in the team with Garbutt at left midfield. We must play 4-4-2 so with Chambers out for the Gillingham game, I would play - Norris/holy, not fussed either way but wish PL would stick to 1 or other. Donacien, Wolfy, Wilson & Kenlock, Edwards at rm as with Rowe injured not sure who else there is. Downes and Skuse at cm with Garbutt on the left. Norwood and Jackson up front. We need to pick the best team rather than the best 11 players. On a brighter note, considering the awful run we’re on, still level on points with automatic promotion.
    Finally, Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all - let’s hope for some wins to brighten the holiday timr

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  7. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I'm ok with Lambert it's just the quality of some of our players I've an issue with, I'm sure we all have different ideas on who can do it and who can't but we are well into the season and for me it's the same players every time they play.
    The biggest problem we all know is Evans, we are in this situation because of him but now the chips are down and which way he goes, regrettably his past record does not inspire confidence.

8. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Nope, dont think so Hampy. Would unsettle club & players even more. Just need avsettled team and formation, fresh injury free players returning and 1 -3 new signings in NY, ho ho, just spotted a sleigh with Father Evans taking a pile of dosh away off to the snowy wastes!

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I’m not saying it’s the right time to make a change but if we did then Burley would still be the man for me with associates and Dyer involved in the setup.

What bothers me is it that with the January window coming if it’s Lambert’s window then he has to see the season out and at the moment we are sleepwalking to a mid table finish.

The form really is terrible right now and I don’t think it’s personnel. The standard of the opposition and our own game is way down on last season.

If I were Evans I’d be eyeing up the results over the next three matches and the Wycombe fixture as a cut off point to stick or twist for the season.

10. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Continuing to reap what we've sown over past few years.

But at this stage of season it would be fair to expect a cohesive, consistent, style of play.

There were suggestions that Norwood and Jackson were forming a relatively good partnership. Which has been disrupted. Doesn't seem to be any consistency across defence. That's all Lambert And and he wonders were not effective at both ends of the pitch.

11. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Yep for me, this is all down to Lambert chopping and changing players and formations. Pi$$ poor management imo, I like him and his attitude but sadly I don't like his tactical thinking.
    Feliz navidad amigos!