1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Pompey v Hull City

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

2. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Victory over Hull could see Pompey replace their opponents at the top of the League One table.

No, you haven’t travelled back in time five weeks – once again that is the situation facing the Blues ahead of a clash with the Tigers.

Kenny Jackett’s side won 2-0 at the KCOM Stadium before Christmas, courtesy of own-goals from Jacob Greaves and Josh Magennis.

It was a result that ensured they reached the summit, although a raft of postponements allowed City to reclaim that position.

Three points on Saturday – this time at Fratton Park – would not necessarily see the pair swap places, as Lincoln would also need to drop points at home to Northampton.

But it would be another instance of Pompey beating one of their promotion rivals, with Peterborough, Ipswich and Fleetwood also having been accounted for in recent weeks.

Hull finished bottom of the Championship last season, despite sitting just outside the play-off spots midway through the campaign.

But they won just once in the final 20 fixtures and were thrashed 8-0 at Wigan before defeat to Cardiff on the final day sealed their fate.

The last meeting between the sides at Fratton Park came in the second tier during the 2011/12 season, with Chris Maguire and Joel Ward on target in a 2-0 triumph for the hosts.

TEAM NEWS
    Alex Bass (calf) and Paul Downing (hamstring) are both still sidelined, but Pompey have no new injury concerns.

Hull will be without Tom Eaves (calf), Callum Jones (hamstring) and Martin Samuelsen (calf) for their trip to the south coast.

HEAD TO HEAD
    Overall
    Pompey: 22 wins
    Hull: 13 wins
    20 draws

At Fratton Park
    Pompey: 12 wins
    Hull: 4 wins
    11 draws

OFFICIALS
    Referee: Ben Toner
    Assistants: Michael Webb and Paul Yates
    Fourth Official: Stuart Butler

BETTING
    Pompey are the 6/4 favourites with VBET to secure all three points, while the visitors can be backed at 2/1.

3. 1898

1898 Active Member

Gonna be a tough one.
    2-1 ... but couldn't say to who.

4. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

5. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

6. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Portsmouth 3-0 Hull City

That was my prediction yesterday and I think I'll stick with it. We tend to follow a very good performance with a dreadful one, that's why I'm most confident when we're scraping 1-0 and 2-1 wins :emoticon-0175-drunk

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  7. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Half-time, and it's 0-1 to Hull with an unfortunate own goal from Jack Whatmough in the 23rd minute. Pretty much an even first half.

8. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Half-time Match Stats:-

Home Team: Portsmouth .......Away Team: Hull

Possession:

Home 46%
    Away 54%

Shots:

Home 4
    Away 2

Shots on Target:

Home 0
    Away 1

Corners:

Home 1
    Away 3

Fouls:

Home 5
    Away 10

9. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Three-nil to Hull City Association Football Club

Sixty-eight minutes played

10. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Final whistle. Beaten 4-0 at home by the better, far more determined team.

No complaints from me, apart from the rough treatment handed out to Sean Raggett throughout the game by both Wilks and Magennis. How the match officials missed it all is a mystery to me <laugh>

Strangely enough another two own goals, as in the previous game between the two sides. Thought that young Harvey White had a good game after coming on at half time, but we had no one to match George Honeyman in midfield, he was immense.

Not the end of the world, and we move on to Tuesday evening and another game against Lincoln City, who won today.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    pompeydownunder likes this.

11. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Final Match Stats:-

Home Team:
    Portsmouth .........Away Team: Hull

Possession:

Home 50%
    Away 50%

Shots:

Home 11
    Away 9

Shots on Target:

Home 1
    Away 5

Corners:

Home 6
    Away 4

Fouls:

Home 12
    Away 16

12. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I believe that was what's known in the trade as 'A bad day at the office'

13. 1898

1898 Active Member

Just awful.

Another semi-final leg bottle job beckons...

14. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

That was cathartic, if nothing else, after our performance in December (in which Pompey were crap but we were even worse)

15. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

If you are going to lose, do it in style. And we did. The downside is the big impact on GD. On to Tuesday, and hopefully something better.

pompeydownunder likes this.
  16. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

17. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

I have got behind with my ifollow replay viewing and have watched the Fleetwood, Wimbleton and Hull games in close order.
    The Fleetwood game was written up as 'winning ugly' but I did not find it too ugly. A good goal and a defense almost untroubled.

In contrast I expected a dominant win against Wimbleton but found that for at least 35min it was a reasonably close game with the possibility of either side scoring first. Pompey only dominated when Wimbleton needed to play catch-up. Good goals for Pompey and good to see two Marquis goals in the two games each with a Williams assist.

The Hull game was something of a mirror image of the Wimbleton game both with regard to scoreline and the games having very distinctive halfs. At halftime I thought Hull were shading the game but that we had every chance of Pompey coming back into it. However, Kenny elected to take both the players that inject the most energy off at half time and subsequently Hull were able to dominate. While I think it was a mistake to take Williams off I thought Close had a reasonable half. Coming on against wimbleton and Hull he has played in a more forward role than I have seen him before which allows him more freedom with his passing.
    White was below par. He may well have promise but I cannot see it being fulfilled in the short term. The changes caused a significant loss of shape. If Kenny wanted to 'take a chance' I think he should have put Jacobs on in a No 10 role instead of White. I understood that he was signed to play in that role and I do not think it has worked well playing him on the wing. However, since he signed Williams has excelled in the number 10 role and should continue in it against Lincoln.

Lets be positive for Tuesday

PUP