1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Pompey vs Rotherham

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by MAJR, Sep 3, 2017.

1. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

Pompey have been utterly toothless this whole game. The times we've had the ball in dangerous position we've failed to even get it between the posts. It's not good enough.

2. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

Rotherham are wasting time and get a card for it.

3. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

Burgess has to stop playing long balls. He's bad at it and always gives it away.

4. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Absolutely pathetic performance against a side with an atrocious away record. What a waste of time watching that.

5. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

A really dissapointing performance from Pompey today. As I said at halftime, the foundations of a good team are there but it's not coming together yet. What's dissapointing most today was how Pompey found it impossible to hit the ball anywhere near the goal. I never felt like Rotherham were in any kind of danger of conceeding, especially after Hawkins went off. There is a lot of work to be done to make this Pompey team a strong League One side but, after today's performance, the immediate focus has to be some shooting practice.

6. SaintLapras

And heading practice.

7. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

Got to admit that I thought that the momentum would have been with Portsmouth this season. I think that Division One is a funny league and when Saints were playing there, it really seemed like there were teams who seemed to be better suited to the Championship and others who looked like they should have been playing in League Two. There didn't seem to be much of a middle ground.

The appointment of Kenny Jackett appeared to be an improvement on Paul Cook and I would not have been surprised to have found Portsmouth looking for a play off position. The reality has been somewhat different. A number of players have been moved on and Jackett has added to the squad. Watching the football on Channel 5, the league now looks harder than I had imagined and I am wondering how many Portsmouth fans think that this season will be a struggle. Looking at the quality of other teams in the league, a second promotion looks well-beyond PFC but you will need to pick up some points if you are to establish yourself. I've only seen match highlights and listened to some of the commentaries so cannot comment. However, as an outsider, I think you are finding this league harder than you might have imagined. This afternoon's Solent phone in will be interesting.

Wooperts_duck and EastneyPFC like this.
  8. 3rd eye

3rd eye Well-Known Member

I think Ian that we're all expecting this season to be harder, top half will be a good result for most of us.

Wooperts_duck and EastneyPFC like this.
  9. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

10. SaintLapras

Yes, but I was hoping for more than one win in a month's worth of football.

11. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

MAJR

Thanks for posting the link to the really interesting and detailed thread. I must admit that I had not appreciated the turnover of playing staff at Portsmouth. The level is really quite incredible and would be remarkable even for a non-league side. I appreciate that the original players had to be signed with a minimal amount of expenditure and therefore well understand why the players would have moved around but the recent levels are staggering.

12. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Is Hawkins really that much better than Kabamba, who has gone to Colchester. I hope Kabamba scores a bucket load of goals, comes back in January and manages to secure a first team place ahead of a lumbering 1.90m centre forward that is Hawkins!

13. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

And I hope and pray that Lowe finds his scoring boots and head in the coming weeks.

14. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Should have red carded the Rotherham defender as well - extremely reckless foul !! <grr>

Referee was pathetic today.....

15. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Bit strong there Ides :huh:. He didn't play that badly, and took a vicious kick in the head in the second half. He will come good in the right formation <ok>

16. EastneyPFC

EastneyPFC Well-Known Member

Majr good honest commentary and I was glad I couldn't make it today - I travel a long way to watch and this sounded like very poor fayre indeed. Ian T - as 3rd eye said I think the realists amongst thought a mid table consolidation would be just great. I have no idea who Rotheram kept after dropping out of the Champ but hoped we'd beat them today. I think it will be harder than perhaps we did expect but I won't be really passing any judgement till we hit mid October.

17. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Unusual formation initially from KJ. He changed it at half time, and Matty Kennedy played extremely well, and looks a real prospect for the future. Delighted we have him signed for the whole season. Nathan Thompson also looked solid at right back, but we did miss Gareth Evans.

Good to see a fit again Matt Clarke in defence - well deserved man of the match.

17,118 crowd for a match televised on Sky isn't bad is it?!

EastneyPFC likes this.
  18. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

please log in to view this image

How was this not: (A) a red card, and (B) a penalty ?

3rd eye likes this.
  19. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

To play devils advocate, I think where Hawkins is a tall guy and was stooping it might not have looked so bad to the ref in the heat of the moment, but the Rotherham player has clearly leapt off the ground and has his foot well above head height and he caught Hawkins and caused a gash across his forehead which eventually was the reason he was withdrawn from play (concerns about a head injury prompting the sub).

There's no way I dont consider this foul, and anywhere else the pitch it would have been given without question,but for some reason refs are more forgiving in the penalty area and if this is anything to go by: http://asktheref.com/Soccer Rules/Question/23688/ then the rules dont seem to be that clear cut about incidents like this.

20. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

We won this week's John Beck prize, for aimlessly punting the ball into the box, the most times in a game.

Wooperts_duck likes this.