1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

PompeyMeowth's tribute banter thread

Discussion in 'American Football' started by Cove, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

In other unexpected news, the Jags signed Jamaal Charles... who'd have thunk that!

2. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

WTH is going on ??

Cowboys beating Jaguars handsomely.
    Redskins (off byeweek) picking out Panthers.

All of a sudden NFC lEAST is strongest divsion? Crazy to see both teams win today after our win TNF...

3. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

3 FG for chiefs...

This is where Brady gets carried by Cheats D whenever he goes against marginally superior QB.
    LOAT Brady all the way!!

4. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

Just be glad you weren't at Wembley to see a poor game between the Seahawks and Raiders :emoticon-0105-wink:

StanDMan likes this.
  5. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

3 of the last 4 games have been very one-sided affairs. I'm hoping we have a thriller for at least one game this year... Especially as I don't have to get a pre-booked train after either of the two remaining games so I'm happy if it goes into overtime.

6. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

So the Jaguars are their usual selves again, one big defensive clusterfuck

7. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

StanDMan likes this.
  8. SaintLapras

So I attended xpLosION again at the University of Birmingham yesterday. It was a great game, here's a review I posted about it on Facebook:

If anyone's interested in British American Football, here's my review of XpLosION 2018. For those of you who don't know, XpLoSION is an annual event at the University of Birmingham (the Lions, hence the capitalisation in the name) often tied into the first home game for their American Football team and usually takes place some time in November. After the game, it is followed by fireworks. XpLosION is a big deal on campus and perhaps one of the sporting highlights of the year at UoB and so the crowds are pretty massive by British standards, a good 4000+ including some famillies who mainly come for the free fireworks probably. This was my fourth year attending and year on year the standard of play seems to be getting better. The first two years I went were shutouts as Birmingham destroyed the opposition but this year the match was a lot closer.

The match this year was between the Lions and the Swansea Titans. The match itself was pretty decent quality. Birmingham had a run heavy offense and their quarterback was very mobile and gained a lot of yards through scrambling though did throw two interceptions. The Swansea quarterback however was very good, and consistently threw pin-point accurate, long range passes straight into the hands of their receivers, it was actually pretty good to watch even though I was supporting Brum (I joked to my gf that Drew Brees' long lost British cousin was playing for Swansea). In the end the match finished 20-16 and came down to the last play with Birmingham knocking at the red zone after a pretty decent drive. Unfortunately the Lions were held but despite that it was still a good game. At on stage the Titans held a sizable lead but the Lions came back into it with about 3 or 4 minutes left. Unfortunately for the Lions, a couple of big plays during the game were followed by either their quarterback getting sacked or a tackle for lossed yardage in the play immediately after.

Off the field, this year's xpLosION was marketed as the biggest ever and it was pretty cool to see the amount of NFL merchandise on sale, something which has never been the case previously. This included team specific merchandise such as hats, t-shirts, footballs and those mini helmet thingies for most if not all of the NFL teams but also generic merchandise. Definitely a good sign that NFL merchandise is starting to be sold at this event and can hopefully drive up the interest in the NFL and American Football as a whole.

Cove and StanDMan like this.
  9. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

Cool to hear it's gaining traction out there PL! Sounds like a great day and you had a lot of fun.

10. SaintLapras

So not long until the NFL season begins. It'll be interesting with a lack of pre-season games, but they're dull anyway though maybe take longer for teams to get into form.

Edelman likes this.

11. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Hoping the Vikings will be as bad as I think they will be. Having a record number of rookies and losing half your defence and best wide receiver during a season like this can’t end well.

If somehow they can get into the frame for Lawrence then will be completely worth it

12. Saintmagic

So far so good, they are the worst team in the league. They won’t take Lawrence though, they will trade down 100 times and pick a corner

13. SaintLapras

What did you think of that? I felt sick at the end, but I knew it was going to come down to a last minute drive which ended badly. Didn't anticipate that would be in the form of a botched snap though.

14. Saintmagic

Was predictable I thought. The defence in general has been terrible so far. Zimmer blames the offence as he is the one responsible for the defence, but yesterday was mainly on them.

Definitely an improvement on the first two games but still not good overall. Am in full tank mode now as this could be the best chance to get a really talented QB in the draft for a while, probably won’t be bad enough for Lawrence but definitely in with a shout for Fields I would say.

15. SaintLapras

While I can see the logic in tanking, it's not something I really believe in. I sort of believe you should always try to win, regardless of how it impacts the draft.

And credit where credit is due, Gostkowski was perfect today. Nailed 3 50+ yard field goals.

16. Saintmagic

Well the Vikings have started well, losing to the ****ing Bengals. Had 15 offensive line penalties yet still managed to take it to overtime only for Cook to fumble in field goal range and the Bengals to kick the winner

Then yesterday to miss the game winning field goal from 37 yards.

Welcome back Vikings you ****s

This draft class isn’t even meant to be good so will be typical if they actually get a high enough pick to target one of the best QBs in the class but they are all ****.

Edelman likes this.
  17. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

They looked great when they went 21 v 7 up.
    I was surprised they collapsed

18. Saintmagic

I wasn’t, DB whisperer Mile Zimmer is the head coach, which has meant that the defence is ****, but it’s never his fault.

The GM and coaches can all go as far as I’m concerned but this franchise is cursed. Will waste another elite running backs career by being awfully run, maybe Jefferson’s as well if he can’t get out/turns out to be really good

19. SaintLapras

Both games were very Vikings-like and definitely an example of 'it's the hope that kills you'. Still, we definitely improved between game one and game two despite playing a better team, and hopefully we'll be on the right side of one of these emotional rollercoaster rides one day. The crushing defeats make the crazy victories all the sweeter. But yes, I agree our defense is **** and has been since the end of the 2017 season, though there have been a the odd defensive highlight since then. Emphasis on odd.

It's hard not to think the Vikings are cursed though.

20. Saintmagic

They started the game well but then the play calling after that was dogshit. Going for a squib kick allowing them Cardinals to kick a FG before half time, not going for a 4th and 1 at midfield when the D couldn’t stop anything and the Cardinals were at midfield a couple of plays later anyway. 3rd downs and 6/7/8 yards and throwing 5 yard passes. Letting the clock run down from 35 seconds for the kicker (who has missed an extra point and a 35 yarder last week) to have his field goal, run a couple more plays and get a bit closer to help him out. Running Cook straight up the middle EVERY first down, gets a bit predictable no matter how good he is. Now he is injured as they ran him into the ground, they have Thielen and Jefferson who are both good receivers and KJ Osborn has done really well in the 2 games as well.

Zimmer is a dinosaur who never takes any blame, calling out the players. They spent loads on D this off season to let the defensive guru save face this year but spunked the money on a past it corner (Peterson) one who the Vikings let go before as he wasn’t good enough (Alexander) and possibly the worst corner I’ve ever seen over the first 2 games (Breeland)