1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Portsmouth game

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Zenfootball2, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

Portsmouth have had a number of injuries i think they may play 4.4.2 and then it will be wing backs against wingers.kenny Jackett is an experince and astute tactical manager and i am sure he will have a plan to nullify town. we are playing a team who will probably be up there in the promotion race so i think this will be a tough game and a usefull bench mark for town ,Bryn Morris is injured but Bolton will have a point to prove.

we seem to have good keeper on loan,whilst town seem to be keeping there shape and the defence are more vocal , they have been caught out with diaganole passesss and not picking up players who drop back to the far corner for corners/ crosses, there were rumours that Pierre was injured i hope not as he has a physical prsence and he goes forward to suport the midfield with the odd run

if teams cancel out our wing backs, as we saw it for periods against Villa and the first half against Dundee , then we have two options route one or play it through the midfield, whilst indivudually i think we have some reasonable midfield players , they dont seem to be playing as a unit( this takes time) and we dont have a midfield general. it will be intresting to see how that works out.
    .Okenabirhie scored twice in his last game,it will be intresting to see how his relationship with morrison develops

2. Zenfootball2

in the games i have seen town have given a lot of free kicks away in dangerous areas this needs to be reduced or they will get punished for it.

3. Zenfootball2

clearly town had not read the script so a pleasent suprise with a wonder strike from out of nothing.

Porstmouth started brightly winning most of the 50-50 balls as town struggled to get out of there half for most of the first half,towns defence did really well, whilst McCormick looked to try and move town forward giles looked over run as there player had acres of space on the wings and linked up with there 11.not sure who's responsibility it was to come from midfield and help out.the portsmouth team tried to win the header from corners as there forwards were lined upa few yards from the box or on the edge of the box somone should have worked how to deal with it

Vincelot broke up a lot of play and did very well, town created very little in the last third, both forwards had very little supply but morrison was winning some headers and trying to get the flick ons.

when put under sustained pressure we need somone to slow the game down.

town looked better in the second half and won more of the 50 - 50 balls, the distributuion improved but was inconsistent.
    cant remember when morrison volleyd over the bar.
    the keeper looked tidy won a few vital punches, after the wonder goal town did creat more chances, clearly they have worked on creating some variety with the free kicks.
    when portsmouth numbwer 11 whent down in the penalty box as he has already been booked if it was not a penalty then it is simulation and he should have gone of. the player on loan from Rangers made a number of hard chalenges so no suprise he picked up two yellows.
    the ref was slow picking up that Eisa had a head injury, the doctor came on the pitch and he when off looking a bit wobbly and down the tunnel so i hope he is ok.

Morrison is the target man i dont remember ferjiri getting any passes on the ground.
    a goal mouth clearence presrverd towns lead. town worked hard, they kept there shape early days but a winning start is a bonus.

Matster likes this.
  4. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Couldn't make it today, annoyingly!

Looks like Town were under pressure fom the start but didn't create too much.

Morison again seemed to impress. From footage seen Giles' kick was very impressive! How did Laurent play when he came on.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just read the Pompey board to see how lucky you were. Apparently very but I didn't expect to see anything else. Marquis is the biggest diving git I think I've ever seen play since Neymar. Did he do a lot of falling down today? I expect he did. Anyway, great result for you and your "1" is better than their "0" so who cares how you got it. That's the thing about football, you have to score to win a game and how much you have the ball counts for zilch.

Matster likes this.
  6. Zenfootball2

first 45 minutes town hardly got out of there own half ,two chances morrison volleyed over the bar and Giles wonder strick . Laurent made an impact lots of energy trying to make things happen, i like Laurent the problem is his consistency.

Matster likes this.
  7. Zenfootball2

they totaly dominated the first half , they should have had two players red carded . nearly at the end of the games ebanks landell made a goal line clearence as our keeper was well beaten. i was expecting more of a cutting edge to them

8. Zenfootball2

not sure where the goals are going to come from

9. Zenfootball2

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Wooperts_duck and Matster like this.
  10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You are being too kind Zen. You scored and they didn't. The goal came and you only need one if you don't let one in. The game is about scoring goals and the rest of it is just window dressing. If they can't put the ball in that net then that's their fault they lost not your's. I have been unhappy a thousand times before and wondered how my team have lost one given the show but it's the only stat that is recorded and matters.

Zenfootball2 likes this.

11. Matster

Forum Moderator

We had a good few games last season where we had loads of possession and failed to capitalize on it.

As Sensible says goals = points!

Zenfootball2 and sensiblegreeny like this.
  12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Absolutely right attitude Matster. Nobody but nobody remembers the losers because the records only show the winner. It doesn't ask how they won just records the fact.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  13. Zenfootball2

true and i am thriled with the result
    we need to improve the game managment to slow hte game down to take the pressuer off the defence , whilst the wonder goal was amazing looks even better withe the clip from behind the goal ,not sure were the goals are going to come from and as we are all saying goals win prizes.

14. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Sorry Shrewsbury fans that your site has been visited by that "great wassock" Greeny. I think he has failed to take his prescribed medication again <doh> He quotes Marquis, but forgets (quite cleverly) to mention that the sadly departed Graham Carey of Argyle was the master diver trained over a number of years by their former classy manager Derek Adams, who by the way, helped relegate them to Division 2. Won't anyone else on the League 2 Forum talk to you Greeny ?!

By the way, what a cracking goal by your lad Ryan Giles. I wasn't at the game, but have seen the video - there was no way that our keeper was going to get anywhere near that rocket !!

Matster likes this.
  15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Fact one. Marquis dives regularly. Fact two. You lost Wooperts no matter how much you weep. Yep we got relegated. Never disputed that we deserved it as that is the fact that happened and the league doesn't lie. No other teams on the league 2 board have contributors so there actually isn't anyone else to talk to. Just because Pompey had a premiership past they blew doesn't make you a font of all knowledge on football matters. You all thought you were going to bounce back up the leagues instantly and haven't gotten over the fact you blew it more than once. Answer this. You got no points on Saturday. How long you had the ball and what you did with it counted for what exactly that makes my comments above wrong and requires me to take medication? Get over yourself Wooperts and realise that your club isn't as big as you think it is.

Sorry to intrude Shrews but you put yourselves down too much and you really don't need to and shouldn't.

Matster and Zenfootball2 like this.
  16. Matster

Forum Moderator

Ivan Toney played for us on loan and kept diving, actually peed our fans off as it broke up play going forward.

Whereas Tom Bradshaw used to be our player and his slight build allowed him to tumble and get a free kick regularly. He's still foxing refs for sure.

Portsmouth have got some good players from Shrewsbury and I'm sure they'll be top table area at the end of the season.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  17. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

please log in to view this image

Oooh Greeny, you protest too much !! No one including me on the Pompey Forum have ever said we will "bounce back up the leagues instantly" - you must be mistaking us for Sunderland in that respect. I am not weeping because we lost, far from it. There are still 45 games to go. Have you not seen their fantastic winning goal on the Sky highlights ? You must have done, as you are obviously always on our forum viewing posts.

Don't forget the season before last you were regularly on our matchday thread after the final whistle with your astute comments about where we went wrong, until I politely suggested you disappear and keep your mindless thoughts to yourself.

Good luck this season Shrews !! Our manager Kenny Jackett thinks a lot of your manager, as Sam Ricketts played for him at both Swansea and Wolves :emoticon-0148-yes:

18. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Hi Matster - Craig MacGillivray is the best keeper we have had at Fratton Park since Alan Knight and David James. James Bolton looks a decent right back so far, but Bryn Morris is always injured, so not seen much of him as of yet <cheers>

Matster likes this.
  19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Boo hoo hoo!!!! Whatever Wooperts. I visit many club sites but with 59000 more posts than me I wonder who has most to say on them. Let me guess...............

20. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

I'm sure you do Greeny. In particular, our friends down the road at Southampton FC speak very highly of you (not) <laugh> :emoticon-0109-kiss: