1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pre-Season Testing 2021

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Mar 11, 2021.

1. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Watching Ted's Notebook Sorry SgtBhaji, he's suggesting that the floor changes might be hurting Merc more than Red Bull. He's suggesting that Merc were gaining rear downforce by using the edge of the floor to 'contain' the airflow within the diffuser. Where as Red Bull use a high rake so losing a bit of floor isn;t as damaging to them!! Interesting.....
    He spoke to Bottas who suggested that he is going to be more selfish as that is what is needed!!! Sounds like he is calling Lewis selfish :) He trained very hard over winter so are we on Bottas 3 or 4 this year????
    Renault/Alpine have a large bulbus air intake/top engine cover as they moved oil coolers up to make side pods smaller, compromise but they think better.
    McLaren have found a loophole and made their diffuser work better!!!

Hope that gives SgtBhaji a very rough idea of Teds Notebook.

TopClass and Justjazz like this.
  2. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm really trying not to get my hopes up for the McLaren. But it just feels like they've made a huge step.

How awesome would it be if Mercedes have gone backwards, Red Bull stayed as is, and McLaren had closed the gap.

DHCanary and Big Ern like this.
  3. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

I'm definitely excited by that McLaren.

However it looks more and more like reports of Mercedes' demise have been premature.

The team say that have now "understood" the issue with the car, and it certainly looks like they have found something. Until we see proper laptimes of course we don't know where that puts them, but they look less like they're struggling now.

4. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

please log in to view this image

ched999uk and eddie_squidd like this.
  5. ched999uk

As they were talking about Lewis's Merc putting out a bit of smoke I just remembered that the new Ferrari PU doesn't appear to have the same 'issue' of putting out smoke on regular occasions!!! Also they are suggesting Merc on megga low power mode as Lewis not using 8th gear!!! Plus maybe Ferrari are allowing Alfa to use full power modes where they are not!!!
    Now in last hr of testing we may see come more clues?

6. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Interesting that the sister teams all seen very close together and in a clear pattern of order:

RBR & Alpha Tauri - look quick, high rake, consistent.

Ferrari and Alfa Romeo - look okay but not in the league of the two Honda powered cars

Mercedes & Aston Martin- both suffering with similar issues and displaying similar competitive timing.

Whilst it’s far too early to say Mercedes are in any trouble, these patterns in philosophies are better evidence than we have ever had that Mercedes may have lost a little bit of performance in this reg change.

7. TopClass

On a side note- Mazepin I think will quickly become the most unpopular driver on the grid- he was laughing on the radio earlier because “hahaha I almost crashed into Lewis” and then two laps later timed his pit exit to coincide wi the Verstappens hot lap into turn one <doh>

I get the impression we have let immaturity into the F1 circle...I hope he proves us wrong.

8. ched999uk

Any idea if McLaren are using Merc rear end and gearbox? They seem to be more stable and have better reliability.

Mazepin seems to be showing his immaturity, I think he should have been more concentrating on his driving than tanking time to radio his team to have a laugh! Not sure how he's going to fare but time will tell, I hope he grows up quickly.

Watched Mick Sch being interviewed yesterday and he sounds so level headed and mature a huge contrast to Mazepin.

9. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

The Mercedes has the most sophisticated floor. But the car seems to be the most twitchy. Other teams philosophy seem to be else where.

Testing times as always mean nothing as they are set times they have to try and match. I notice the A teams times are around the same as there B teams. I suspect a sharing of information is going on

ched999uk likes this.
  10. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Much has been made of McLaren's creative diffuser solution and how much rear grip it's giving them, so I'd say no.

11. TopClass

I think only Aston Martin have the Merc suspension Ched but il go and do some digging. I know McLaren have usually made their own gearbox and I think it is the same again here but I will check.

ched999uk likes this.
  12. ched999uk

I have a suspicion that McLaren are using their own and maybe that's why they seem to have more stability at rear?

Could be an interesting year but we have been saying that for a good few years after testing :)

13. TopClass

ched999uk likes this.
  14. ched999uk

Just found same article as well :)
    I would put money on Merc sorting out the rear very quickly maybe not by first race. Oh I wonder if they are allowed to alter rear suspension with the token system?
    They might have made a costly mistake as I bet they can't just revert to last years gearbox and suspension as it won't work with the new aero stuff.

TopClass likes this.
  15. TopClass

McLaren looked to have a solid test didn’t they- Ricciardo didn’t look like he had to fight the car in any way. Whether that converts to lap time is another thing all together but interesting nonetheless.

Red Bull looked very comfortable I thought.

One thing I’d say is Merc have struggled in searing temps before, so cooler temps and the European races might resolve much of their rear grip issue.

ched999uk likes this.
  16. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

No...he's a plum.

17. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Week on Friday and we get to see where we're at. Still have a niggling feeling Mercedes has something up their sleeve that they've not put on the car in the test.

Still got their filming day milage I believe.

18. happyal

happyal Active Member

I'd say that Mercedes are still favorites for the title, but for the first time in this new Turbo Hybrid era, I have hope for a genuine title fight. Fingers cross it's not just Mercedes sandbagging again and me getting my hopes up.

TopClass likes this.
  19. TopClass

Pretty much how I feel!

I don’t want Merc to just collapse because ultimately Verstappen winning races uncontested is no more interesting than Lewis (or in previous years Seb) doing it - you want to see them absolutely on the edge of their seats at high pressure and where mistakes cost them positions.

Would love to get 4 or 5 teams within close competitiveness.

The feeling is that Honda have made a substantial step forward too- so I would be amazed if Red Bull aren’t in the mix this time around.

What I’m hoping is that McLaren might surprise us and join the party along with Ferrari and Alpine.

20. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I think There are 2 filming days , and I think they have both left ?

: 2021 testing