1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Preferences?

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Resurgam, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

From tomorrow, Sybet are no longer offering Best Odds on races where they pay extra places. They claim that this is so they can offer more 'extra place' races. A few of their races at Fontwell tomorrow are paying 4 places if there are 8 runners or more, but Best Odds does not apply to these races.
    Would you prefer to have Best Odds, or the extra place in a race?

2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Oh, you've got a topic here that I will row into!!

As someone who has plenty of bookmaker accounts and is an avid fan of the exchange, I think we have a great position as a punter, but this is gradually receding as more bookmakers remove Best Odds for many bets. I find it hard to keep up with the T&Cs of each bookmaker, but its imperative to do so if you want to get the best prices.

To answer the question, I find the additional extra place a good proposition for a few bets, but generally if I am betting on a horse to place as well as win, I split my stakes and either bet at Betfair SP, or at fixed odds on the place market.

I find the Best Odds is very useful, and I would prefer that to additional places. Obviously you are aiming to beat the market with a bet, so backing a horse at shorter than SP is annoying. If on a rare occasion they win, then its more frustration!!

My rationale when having a bet is -

Best Odds Available at the time (normally betfair exchange)
    Is it likely to get punted (or drift) - If so then that changes where i'd bet.
    EW terms or the place markets

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Generally speaking I would prefer to take early odds for win bets and benefit from the BOG if the price drifts. But if betting ew I think I would prefer to just take the early odds and more places. If BOG doesn't apply on win bets where they offer extra places, I think I would go somewhere else for win bets. At the end of the day though, I would take the best odds available from a range of bookies, or even the exchange

4. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Brunettes over blondes any day of the week

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm sure I could get you to change your in some cases

6. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Definitely prefer the extra places. Increases chances of a return and needed more often that BOG. Its not often you'll have a 20/1 winner and be annoyed it wasn't 25s. But how many times do you go each way 3 places and it comes 4th etc.. Very annoying

7. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

I find that the extra places means the price has been shortened a tad from what it would have been before. I bet a bit on the golf and you will sometimes get 10 places for an ew bet that looks very tempting but when you compare the markets from say 4-5 years ago, and a p[layer who would have been around the 66/1 mark then will be around the 40/1 mark now...

It's all down to what you would want or prefer as it's not like there are only a few choices out there to be made is there...??

As for best odds, it's great when you get a bet that shortens and comes in, likewise when it drifts, so from that point of view I would probably not like that either... I suppose you could always take the SP price and gamble a little...<whistle> <laugh>