1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Premier League, Cups & Euro Watch

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by LuisDiazgamechanger, Jul 6, 2018.

?

Result...

1. Home win

2. Draw

3. Away win

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

Frank Worthington has died, aged 72 :(

For those on here of a certain vintage Frank was a familiar journeyman footballer from the mid 60's through to the mid 80's.
    A striker who scored goals wherever he went and a real entertainer. Actually signed for Shanklys Liverpool in 1972 but failed his medical.

RIP Frank <rose>

Bumps, saintKlopp and Garlic Klopp like this.
  2. Darwinism

Darwinism Well-Known Member

The defender wasn’t stationary. He was sliding in. Yes to block the cross but he ended up clattering into Kane. Not fair maybe but as I said technically it’s a foul. It would be given by 90% of referees. Just like if you suddenly stop in the middle of the pitch the oncoming player cannot stop and barge into you.

3. saintKlopp

Except he doesn't. It's Kane who clatters into him by deviating his line to ensure contact. If you can't slide to block a shot what's the ****ing point, really? Cash is not going at the player and he's not being reckless - he's merely trying to block a cross.

Bumps likes this.
  4. Darwinism

That’s the point I’m making. Although he ensured the contact it looked like it was from behind. And that’s technically a foul. It’s not fair but as I said not a single referee offering comments in the papers said it wasn’t a penalty. Anyway, we’ll just agree to disagree.

5. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Contact was actually off the pitch after the ball went out. Not sure if this (should) makes a difference...

6. Darwinism

Only if the ball was out of play when contact was made. It would have been just a goal kick. VAR checked it.

7. saintKlopp

Imagine if it was Salah instead of Kane.

Bumps likes this.
  8. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Ball was further out than either player <laugh>

9. Darwinism

In a way the Villa player couldn’t argue he was playing the ball...

10. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

He wasn't playing the ball, he was attempting to block a cross which Kane ignored because he wanted to run into the Villa player instead.

Typical of Kane but rarely gets a comment because saint Harry.

11. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Rarely gets a comment from the media...

Most fans are well aware of Kane’s antics. The diving, the backing that could cause potential injuries to opposition players that often not only go unpunished but sometimes actually wins him a foul!!

Bumps likes this.
  12. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I don't actually have a problem with Kane 'buying' the penalty. It was very cheeky from Kane because he purposely misses the ball just so he can go into the defender.

What I have a problem is how other players (i.e. Salah) will be called divers, cheaters and all the names under the sun if they did the same but Kane, the poster boy, is called clever.

Clear racial / xenophobic bias from fans and media in this country. You only have to look at Gary Linekar's tweets for proof.

13. saintKlopp

I do. I have a hot dislike for cheating, in any walk of life.
    I'd happily see our own players punished for it - as long as it was scrupulously adhered to with everyone. But there's the rub.
    An ambivalence towards it opens the door for a more interpretive view of the law and that paves the way for the blatant prejudices we see for or against certain players.
    I don't even think he was "clever" that time - he quite clearly engineered the contact. The fact that the ref and VAR gave it, and so many in the media are falling over themselves to justify that decision is beyond my comprehension.
    It's comical to see people scrabbling around for some euphemistic terms to describe it when "cheating" was the only one they needed.

14. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

So Leeds player has gone off to international duty with Poland and now has corona...

What a surprise flying between countries and mixing with different players coaches support staff increases the risk of catching it. Who’d have thought...

15. saintKlopp

I really don't get it.
    £5ooo fine for people travelling abroad unnecessarily, yet sportspeople just go all over the place. I recognise that football is a boon during lockdown, an entertainment to keep people from going crazy - but the domestic programme would be enough to cater for that. All international games - club and country - should have been postponed, imo, there's just no need to take the risks.
    I know people will say it's the money, but there are much greater threats to the economies of the world than the loss of a few games of football.

organic red and Bumps like this.
  16. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Dead ****ing right. Short-sighted ****s <grr>

17. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Totally agree.

We (royal we) need to stop applauding "clever play" too. Sticking your leg out or waiting for contact is still snide as ****.

Solid_Air 2 and Tobes like this.
  18. moreinjuredthanowen

I have to agree. I mean rugby had to be dragged to the HIA table and even then new zealand started exploiting rules by going for head shots to they hadto make it tighter with auto reds for head shots

Look at how marginal the red in the ireland v england game was.

If refs and Var had to publically discuss a pen with the line did the forward look for contact and if so then disallowed a pen no matter what the circumstance and gave a yellow then IMO kane would be wise enough to stop it and eventually the big mouthed pundits would start calling it out to look smart as well.

The pundits are only calling it clever to get their names in the paper/media.

BTW i reckon about 70% of these sorts of pens would never lead to a goal if the play continued. theres quite a lot of things aorund the line of the pen area and stuff that a penalty is actually a harsh call but i suppose you have to have the box somewhere and the sanction at some level.

19. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

The last point is interesting to me and something have thought in the past.

Someone could be going away from goal and be 2 cm in the box on the line of the pen area to the side and be given a free shot on goal from the middle of the area 12 yards out.

yet exactly the same tackle happen 2 cm further away and suddenly you a have a free kick in a decent position but one you’re never going to score directly from. No appreciating you have to draw a line somewhere but that’s a massive difference in goal scoring chance just based on fact someone’s foot was 2 cm close to goal than someone else’s.

I doubt would ever happen but I don’t know why you can’t give a ‘penalty’ or effectively a free shot on goal, but it’s from where the foul took place, effectively a free kick but they can’t build a wall in the way.

the offensive team can either elect to have a free shot from where it took place, or say to the ref they’d prefer an indirect free kick (similar to baxk pass) so the defence can line up and offence can work a better angle.

Just seems off everywhere else on the pitch a foul is given and play restarted from where offence took place, but suddenly you get inside magical 18 yard box and you get a massive advantage of being able to take it from the perfect place.

20. moreinjuredthanowen

In hockey don't you have penalty, penalty corners and just a straight long corner.

I have not seen hockey in ages so roger could comment.

It does seem to be to be silly to see for example I think a leicester player get a pen for a pube hair on the line of the penalty area earlier in the season.

Perhaps a graded scale of penalties could be invented.

I myself love a good old indirect free in the box with lads on the line. You don't see that enough.