1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Premier League, Cups & Euro Watch

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by LuisDiazgamechanger, Jul 6, 2018.

?

Result...

1. Home win

2. Draw

3. Away win

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Also we need europa. With the new CL format giving 2 teams with highest coefficient CL football if they miss out via league we need to keep our score up. Will take a hit not being in CL but will take an even bigger one if miss Europe all together.

Also we mock it here, but the Europa is viewed as an important comp elsewhere, signing players will be a lot easier with European football than without it.

2. moreinjuredthanowen

I'm sold.

I doubt we are actually good enough to get it but you are right about coefficients at least until the expanded super league proposal is ready

3. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Wow, West Ham player just got sent off for kicking a ball and not being able to dislocate his whole foot and leg to avoid the player in front of him <doh>

Think the refs need a break as much as the players... decisions this season been atrocious.

4. moreinjuredthanowen

Top 4 are now really locked in.

Chelsea games are quite easy for an oil resourced bunch of snakes and the sainted Leicester have 3 winnable games before the slimy scabs are due

5. moreinjuredthanowen

I got to see the red card for west ham.

Yes it looks a bad contact but anyone with any sense looking at it can see its neither reckless, excessive force to kick the ball nor is it deliberate.

It really is a lack of common sense which is typical these days.

6. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Like moyes said, it’s a red cafes given by someone’s that never played the game before.

7. wishiwasinliverpool

wishiwasinliverpool Well-Known Member

I don't get this anti-Europa League attitude. Someone said to me on Twitter yesterday that it's beneath us; I replied well we're not at Champions League level right now so it's not, really, is it? It's where we're at. I can't see us getting far in the domestic cups next season because Klopp doesn't rate them. The title, well, who knows?

I remember quite a few people being pissed off when we lost the Europa final a few seasons ago, including me. If we're in it and don't get far in it, a lot of people won't be happy about it

8. RogerisontheHunt

RogerisontheHunt Well-Known Member

Its no so much anti, more that its a harder slog with less pay off than the CL

teams in the EL tend to stuffer more in the league, the Thursday nights and the travel is often more as there is a wider variety of nations represented.

9. moreinjuredthanowen

It is tough, its a slog of a competition after christmas.

before christmas its about disruption to coaching as you would send a **** team out there but your training programs and all that good stuff for the league campaing means you almost need to split your squad up.

the issue with the thing is the last 32 and last 16 are pciekd in and it just kills english teams after the festive period.

We do packed christmas, straight into FA cup and then into this thing.

If you are cheslea or utd were the squad is big enough and you are eaily in the CL spot anyway its not such a big deal.

Arsenal are prioritising one. the players are certainly showing it in the league.

10. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

EL can help encourage players to join. It's only in this country that the competition is disrespected.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

yes.

what players though?
    We need a top striker (porbably not going to happen knowing klopp)

it will give us a game or 10 for jones and elliott though.

12. RogerisontheHunt

EL olny encourages players who want European football that either only have EL or don't have any European football at their own club.

The other way around that is to do a Chelsea and offer huge wages.

Depends what you want to add, if you're looking for top class players their not going to join whilst there is CL options elsewhere. Leaves you with the other option of buying promise and waiting or potetinally picking up a undiscovered gem.

13. wishiwasinliverpool

wishiwasinliverpool Well-Known Member

I get that, but we have played the odd Thursday night football this season because of Covid. We'll have to suck it up. It's the players' fault it's come to this after all

Zanjinho likes this.
  14. moreinjuredthanowen

If we look at what spurs did.

CL final, terible run of form but scrape 4th. and kept pochettino despite a record of awful form. That all sounds sensible. They went out and punted on potential in sessegnon, and then bought ndombele and lo ceslo and added bergwijn as an option up top. Really this is expensive players but filling midfield gaps and buying a back up forward form a lesser team so the europa was no issue.

they then sack pochettinho and appoint mourinho and have several issues during 2019/20 with thier signings. They buy reguilon and make lo ceslo permenant, bring in holberg to please mourinhos need for a yard dog and also doherty to replace trippier etc. they scrape to 6th

Now they've sakced mourinho again and whtas next? 6th again?

We have to see that stability is good but it has to be done in the right way where the right players are brought in and have the hunger to deliver. We are far too forgiving of the head down non effort stuff based on eoepl shouting arrogance and entitlement at peoepl who can remember being actually long temr successful means demanding work and perofrmance on match day and keeping demanding it.

Far too many at LFc have sat on their laruels this season imo. That includes backroom staff as I feel kornmeyer needs some serious questioning in his role as we've lurched through the season having once been the fittest side to the side whos unfit and constantly getting injuries.

We are clearly severely undercooked this season

15. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

United are second and in the EL semis

Zanjinho likes this.
  16. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

So a top striker is likely to join a club in europa league or not in Europe at all

17. moreinjuredthanowen

I really think it's a case of transient positions are ot a question.

Most of the time the clubs in cl are in cl and it's only england where this issue arises.

When you are looking at say spurs you might think well they are to likely to pay are much or be in cl right now by the look of it and additional complication of kane so a forward probably wouldn't be keen.

On the other and chelsea might not reach cl but they pay massively and will be there next time.

Liverpool will pay a certain amount and there should (just should) assure first team football after thisnclusterfuck of a season so whether or not they are in europe once shouldn't matter. The amount of money determines the level of player interest.

It would not matter if lfc were top of the table or in the cl final I would say the same thing about haaland and mbappe for example. We wont pay them enough for their agents and the player to want to come. They are well out of our league.

I couldnt even name a forward to buy right now to replace firmino so until we have a name who knows if 200k a week would attract them with o europe at all.

18. moreinjuredthanowen

Massive burnely result as well.

Brighton seriously ****ed up v sheff utd.

Right now west brom and fulham are hanging by a thread.

19. RogerisontheHunt

Jeez, ManU vs Leeds what a **** match.

I wonder what it feels like when your biggest rival don't consider you to be that big a rival. I mean if you asked Man U fans I'm sure they'd put us, Citeh and Arsenal way ahead of any rivalry with Leeds.

20. moreinjuredthanowen

It gives me a little hope. I know i shouldn't but I can't help it.

Utd were that bad and frankly leeds were no better than against us i'd hope we can at least compete there.

Everything tells me that at old trafford and agaisnt utd we should be ran off the park but that was a ****e show today.