1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Premier League, Cups & Euro Watch

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by LuisDiazgamechanger, Jul 6, 2018.

?

Result...

1. Home win

2. Draw

3. Away win

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

And Stags too

2. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Why should it be any different? Lead by example if you want to make a difference. Don't make an announcement and get on with your life life everyone else does, that's normal and not highlighting an issue that indirectly makes it look abnormal!

Guy or straight, people will figure it out when your walking down the street holding hands with your partner.

johnsonsbaby, M!LK and Diego like this.
  3. M!LK

M!LK Well-Known Member

Yeah, I suppose. Especially if you rely on sponsorship to grease your paycheque.

Also, given the number of people on here and the fact that homosexuality and bisexuality isn't rare... There has to be at least one person on here who isn't "straight" and I've never seen anyone on here come out and say... "Well, I'm gay, and you've got that wrong" or "you got that right."

There has to be gay posters on not606 and they Don't come out... So yes, it does look like some groups do still fear outting themselves.

I think it's more old-farts, like the demographic that uses this forum, more than the kids though. (At least the kids I know).

It seems bizarre to me that anyone would still care... But some people obviously do.

4. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I can't make my mind up if this lad has been very brave, very stupid or both.
    He must know that he is going to get **** from idiots at every away ground he plays at and if he is on social media (a must now for all footballers) he will be targeted on there too (with threats and family insults thrown in). Ihope he has thought this through and is ready to brush it off as twats being twats and know it will calm down eventually.
    That said (brave or stupid), it may just prompt one or two higher profile players to "out" and show that they are just like everyone else living their own life and doing a job. If this happens the sensational story angle will go and in time no longer be a big thing for idiots to target.

Your last line probably fits my way of thinking better than most, just be seen with someone quite often and when some nosy journo asks "is that a mate from your school days" just answer no, he's my partner and walk off.

Zanjinho likes this.
  5. saintKlopp

Surely that's the point though? We talk about football, and a range of other stuff, but our sexual orientation is not relevant to any of that so why should anyone feel the need to announce it?
    Like racism and any other form of prejudice, the only way it will cease is when it is no longer seen to be an issue.
    I think that making it into one, even though it may be with the best of intentions, just postpones the time when nobody actually cares.

6. M!LK

M!LK Well-Known Member

As homophobic as he must be to not even wear a shirt with a rainbow on it... Might be a good tactic for a gay player to announce it right before playing against him.

One easy way to make sure he won't be getting in your space or making physical contact during a tackle. <laugh>

Diego likes this.
  7. M!LK

M!LK Well-Known Member

About football, sexual orientation isn't relative.

About discrimination against sexual orientation in football, it is relevant. They would know more about what they're going through than us. I mean we know so much about many posters on here... Most posters casually mention their spouse or kids in some non football discussions... No one has felt comfortable enough to mention their gay lover, and you know at least one poster on here has to have one. If not of the current members than any of the dozens that were once members but have since left.

About race, several posters on here who are not white have mentioned their ethnicity at times as it has come up. (Although more on the Premier League board than here... Although, I think Bluff is black isn't he, or am I remembering incorrectly).

Nozzer and Diego like this.
  8. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I honestly believe that by far the majority of people don't care one way or the other.
    Being gay/Bi or Lesbian is not a new thing and us "old farts" have probably all had mates, worked with, been part of our drinking buddies and generally grew up with.
    I think what gets a lot of "old farts" now (me being one of them) is the constant "oh look at me i'm gay/trans/ les/different and demand my rights"
    Well guess what, you have the same rights as everyone else and are not new, different or special.

moreinjuredthanowen and M!LK like this.
  9. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

<laugh>

10. saintKlopp

As JB pointed out, it could be a religious thing. I'm not really into the supernatural, but it's very strong in some people.

11. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

12. M!LK

M!LK Well-Known Member

Yeah. I get both sides of that. Take for example the ridiculous "tell me your pronouns". 99+% of the time you can tell by looking at the tin. The other times... Just say what you are. No judgement.

But I do understand the purpose for that is to make trans feel more mainstream, like they don't have to cause a fuss to get their prefered pronouns used. If everyone says he or she, they don't feel awkward.

It's irritating, but I get it. (Although personally I think it opens them up to more ridicule because people use it to make jokes about fake pronouns... It's a backfiring strategy).

13. M!LK

M!LK Well-Known Member

I'm very pleased that he will be healthy enough to sit on the bench and cheer the team. Probably wouldn't see any minutes, but happy is healthy.

Prince Knut likes this.
  14. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I was going reference racism in my post but wasn't brave enough. Completely agree

saintKlopp likes this.
  15. M!LK

M!LK Well-Known Member

I missed that post I think. But if you're homophobic because God tells you to be, you're still homophobic.

Prince Knut likes this.
  16. M!LK

M!LK Well-Known Member

In sk's point. I do think we should stop focusing so much about race.

Why do I need to put my race on my driver's license? Shouldn't be a field. Either I look like my picture on my license or I don't.

Census? Why should it matter. I'm a person, shouldn't matter my race.

Insurance forms? Why, why do you ask race?

The only place it makes somewhat sense is medical forms where some conditions are linked with race... But even then... Are you not going to test me for Tay-Sachs if I have all the symptoms and evidence points that way but look white?

I think the question of race does pop up too much, it's not relevant most of the time... But just stopping focusing on it won't make racism go away. It might help a little though.

Diego likes this.
  17. saintKlopp

You're quite right - but for some people the importance of their faith transcends everything. If people can deny hard, demonstrable facts because they contradict their religion then cultural mores are easy to reject.

18. saintKlopp

Europey goes to penalties.

Zanjinho likes this.
  19. M!LK

M!LK Well-Known Member

We'd win it then if we were in it.

Sucky, Zanjinho and saintKlopp like this.
  20. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

Gueye is a devout Muslim and while he may have gay friends and acquaintances ( there's nothing in the religion that says you have to avoid hsving gay people in your life), actively promoting / defending / supporting the lifestyle, however you view it, by essentially waving the rainbow flag, is strictly against his religion. I think Gueye deserves equal freedom of expression of his religious views on the matter as those with opposing views are allowed their freedom of expression.

THE FOOL, Nozzer and saintKlopp like this.