1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Premier League, Cups & Euro Watch

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by LuisDiazgamechanger, Jul 6, 2018.

?

Result...

1. Home win

2. Draw

3. Away win

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. moreinjuredthanowen

Its really just a matter of anyone saying 9Me) that qatar world cup is a disgrace but then not saying anything about Dubai visits by LFC and Dubai continually trying to buy the club

It sounds to me that really LFC shouldn't be going there either.

2. M!LK

M!LK Well-Known Member

Punish them by relegating them. It's the only way to send a clear message.

organic red and johnsonsbaby like this.
  3. saintKlopp

In talking about generalisations and stereotyping (as we were the other day), we shouldn't fall into the trap of assuming all M-E nations are as bad as one another. Though I must say I know little about the human rights issues in Dubai and am open to enlightenment.
    My initial objection to Qatar was a pragmatic one, and it's only in the light of subsequent events that any sort of moral dimension has crept in.
    I object to the Saudis being allowed to buy one of our national institutions because they (the State) are unashamedly evil.

4. M!LK

M!LK Well-Known Member

I haven't been since I was a kid, but I recall Monaco being a nice picturesque place to visit for a day even if you have to pack sandwiches and stay out of town because everything is too expensive for mere mortals... <laugh>

5. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

I've got two daughters, Si
    I've got two daughters. Nether are shrinking violets <laugh>

6. M!LK

M!LK Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert on Dubai or the middle east by any stretch... But I think there are some things like very conservative laws, like no premarital sex, no hand holding in public, etc... Which seem absurd to us, but it's cultural, we should respect and shouldn't judge them for. It's not really "wrong" it's just culturally different... I think a lot of their laws, like alcohol, they don't prosecute for if you're a foreigner... (Or if you're rich)

Then there are things like torturing prisoners to get confessions, charging rape victims with having premarital sex, long prison sentences for homosexuality, etc .. these are human rights abuses and Dubai should definitely be judged by.

Overall though, there is not a country on earth that doesn't have a dark side. Is Dubai bad enough to be boycotted, or is that just cultural prejudice clouding what we view as bad? I don't know. I do know It's not Saudi Arabia bad... But I wouldn't want to live there anyway.

7. moreinjuredthanowen

The what aboutery stuff get me. some clown comes on and points at something form colonial times and says blah blah blah.

frnakly I don't give a toss about respect or otherwise. Qatar bribed people to get the world cup to shout look at me so that take it completely out of the "respect them in their country" range

they've stolen this world cup through corruption, then killed 6500 people to build their white elephant stadiums then proceed to start threatening journalists coving world cup, treating women like dirt and threatening to kill any LGBTQ++ people if they come.

They can frankly do what they like to their own. that's how the world seems to work. that's a separate issue entirely.

However the second you try to steal a global event made a global event by western beliefs and capital then you cannot apply your own standards thereafter but shout look how great and shiny we are.

"just ignore the blood stains on the foundations"

8. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

Respect doesn't always mean to hold something in esteem (or similar). In this case governments will advise people to respect the country they are travelling to in order to keep people safe. The respect part is simply - don't break their laws. Familiarise yourself with the laws before you go and don't knowingly or purposefully break them. Some religions treat drinking alcohol and same sex relationships as equally wrong. We can't force them to think otherwise. Just like some players refused to wear the rainbow armbands. They have a right to do that without others imposing their views on them.

Btw, I'm absolutely not saying that the treatment of gay people or women is okay. It isn't.

9. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

you are stretching the bounds of reality with the highlighted paragraph .

10. Gerrardsitchyear

Gerrardsitchyear Well-Known Member

I believe Dubai used the same type of indentured labour and shocking H&S standards to build their modern day city that Qatar are using now to build their WC infrastructure. Yes, it's made improvements, but it's been build on the back of immoral behaviour (you could say the same about the British Empire tbf).

In more recent times, someone I know (female) lived there for a while before being imprisoned for 3 months for something she didn't do and was then deported.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

which part

the wanton corruption in 2010 that led to this cup being awards somewhere utterly unsuited?

The 6500 workers dead since 210 in qatar?

The womens right issues in qatar and documented cases of women hwo made complaints being arrested

the documented cases just this week of journalists being threatened by police (danish ones for example)

the LGBTQ++ comments that they hare sick in the head or being told to not be lgbtQ++ if they dare come here or the death penaly for being gay in said country?

Which part is stretching reality mate?

would love to know :)

12. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

13. moreinjuredthanowen

With respect to the "British empire" imo again, my opinion, that's a heap of crap excuse.

Why?

Simple. Sins of the past cannot be used to excuse other sins of the present.

Dubai and Qatar are doing it now. As in right now and being excused or being made excuses for based on pre wwii empires.

It's whataboutery of the highest order

14. johnsonsbaby

What's this?

Zanjinho likes this.
  15. moreinjuredthanowen

Getting down for betting on football.

Probably an online account as they have 236 separate bets in the charge.

That's the reason he's not picked by Southgate after going to last camp and not going to blood cup

6 months ban imo, dead to rights innit.

Prob take it now and be back in Paris if he has any sense.

16. johnsonsbaby

236? Wow. That's dedication.

17. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Yeah have to think the fa have given a heads up and said you can’t pick Toney based on what we have and what’s going to come out. Would have been an absolute PR disaster.

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  18. moreinjuredthanowen

Has to be. And he has to know that too.

He's been beating the patriotic chest for a few weeks now so I can only assume its part of his case.

There's a series of wide ranging cases out there so I think he should admit his offenses and take the pain

Sturridge was 4 month and 150k after much wrangling.
    Barton was 18months bam as his discipline was horrid.
    There's a similar sort of level to toney with a guy from Wycombe that got 2 months.

Trippier got 10 weeks for being publicly stupid.

I guess if the data shows he never bet on a game he was involved with he could get himself a couple months and shrug and say sorry.

Somehow I reckon it'll come out he's bet on himself... just a feeling.

19. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

your post
    they've stolen this world cup through corruption, then killed 6500 people to build their white elephant stadiums then proceed to start threatening journalists coving world cup, treating women like dirt and threatening to kill any LGBTQ++ people if they come.
    They haven't killed 6500 people to build the WC stadiums the figure you are quoting is actually the known number of dead foreign workers over the 12 years since they "won" the WC bid nor have they threatened to kill any LBGT people who go ,though that provision is on their statutes, and I'm willing to give you odds of 1000:1 that they do not use that provision on any visitor there for the WC .

Diego and organic red like this.
  20. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

Just on the 6500 dead part: Yes and no. Correct that the 6500 is all infrastucture and not just WC, so the allocation of those to the WC will be significantly lower. But that's just those that were officially recorded as dying due to workibg conditions. There are many more that are being recorded for other reasons, e.g. heart attacks or unknown, that could be reasonably attributed to the working conditions, so the 6500 for all infrastucture is a significant underestimate. What that means for overall deaths relating to the WC is, as far as I know, unclear.