1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Premier League - does it help?

Discussion in 'England' started by smhbcfc, Jun 25, 2012.

1. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Our Premier League is in my opinion the most watchable League in the world.
    However, does it stifle English talent?
    Many sides play without a single English player - look at our current England line-up - Milner, Walcott, Ox-Chamberlain and Carroll don't start alot of the time. Our other 2 keepers in the squad played in the Championship and League 2 last year.
    I think it's time for us to say that all Premiership (and Championship) clubs must have a MINIMUM of 4 English players in their starting XI each week

2. sweet fa

sweet fa Member

Yes and no. Premier League teams being able to buy proven foreign talent provides extremely healthy competition for our players and encourages them to raise their game in order to command a starting place. For the 25/30 players that will be competing for england starting places that can only be a good thing. Provided...

Priority must be given to english youth over foreign youth. This is where the real damage is done. If Premier league teams fill their youth squads with imports then english players somewhere along the line are missing out. Every opportunity must be given to developing the best possible players and that comes from ensuring the top clubs' youth teams are largely english. If they are having trouble breaking into the first team, once they have developed, they could even play their professional football abroad (having a player with first hand experience of the german/spanish/italian style of play can only be a good thing, surely?

3. brb

brb Guest

Being a lower league team supporter I have a major dislike for many aspects of the Premier League, particularly in regards to their buying power of players from the lower league, which in general are mainly English/British in comparison. However, whilst it can be easy to blame the PL for a lot of things, an unanswered area in those thoughts is if that was the case why have we not won a major trophy since 1966? The leagues used to be predominately English/British and we still failed to achieve before the overall of our league systems.

We have failed to find the answers for the last 46 years and seem no closer in doing so!

4. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Sides in the Seventies and Eighties won European club competitions with mainly British players?

5. Mavellous Evertonian

I like the idea of making sure that there are a reasonable number of English players in every Premier League side. Certainly the high percentage of foreign players enhance the Premier League to the detriment of opportunity for English players. Most fans are principally interested in their own teams and only when England as usual fail in international competition does the lack of English players in Premier League side become an issue. Would more English players with Premier League experience improve the International side?. Possibly but then why are the current crop of players in the International squad such poor performers. The answer would appear to be simply that the standard at which they perform in the Premier League is well short of what is required at International level.

6. TheBallWinner

TheBallWinner Member

Certain things could be done to help the English players if people want that.

FA Cup or the Carling Cup for example, having to play youth or a certain number of English players.

Make the reserve league a little more competitive, make similar restrictions in that by asking clubs to field a few Englishmen.

Who knows...

7. brb

brb Guest

Obviously I am fully aware of that, however, I'm assuming you state so because of some connection in response to my post. Sorry but currently failing to see the relevance. Can you clarify the point, particularly as England still failed to win any trophy's during such time?