1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Premier League season, 2021 / 2022

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, May 7, 2021.

1. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

As far as I can find there has been no mention of Krul. Hope that means nothing to report.

2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

DS said:
    “Max [Aarons] should be fine. I think he took a dead leg or one in the glutes. Brandon [Williams] had cramp in his calf but Tim Krul is the worrying one because it was his shoulder."

3. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

I saw someone said that Krul had his arm in a sling, not sure if that was after the game or yesterday. He wasn't training with the rest of the keepers yesterday

4. RiverEndRick

5. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

6. RiverEndRick

This seems similar to the Glazer takeover where similar shifting out of club assets took place. These foreign takeovers are essentially financial transactions with a focus on the bottom line - head rather than heart.

7. RiverEndRick

Krul is out for the Watford game and there's no indication yet how long he'll be out. There is some good news though:

"Billy (Gilmour), (Mathias) Normann, (Lukas) Rupp and (Andrew) Omobamidele should all be back, I am hoping, for the next game which is against Wolves. We have got a squad that is becoming healthier by the minute."

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/team-news-tim-krul-to-miss-trip-to-watford

zogean_king and SuffolkCanary like this.
  8. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Trouble Krul is by far our most influential player, with the possible exception of Hanley.

9. RiverEndRick

That's certainly true, but Hanley, Gibson, Giannoulis, Byram and Aarons are all very experienced defenders and Williams has matured visibly in recent games. Gunn had a thankless task with a depleted makeshift team in front of him last time out so should do better this time. Krul will be missed for sure, but we need a back-up who's ready to step in and hopefully Gunny will seize his chance.

10. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

A rather delayed update on comparing ourselves to earlier seasons (same method as used above, ranking opposition teams based upon their position in the table in the season prior to the relevant season below).

2021/22 running total after 21 games: 13 points

2011/12 equivalent running total after 21 games: 24 points

2012/13 equivalent running total after 21 games: 24 points

In 11/12 we accumulated another 23 points from here (seven wins, two draws) - if we managed to improve our form to that level, I think we would be in with a shot of survival. It is roughly the equivalent of top ten form if maintained over the whole season (51 points).

The target, though, has to be still 27 points to get to the magical 40 points, which I think is probably eight wins and three draws from our last 17 - which is the sort of form that if maintained over the whole season (60 points) would see a team generally finish between 7th and 9th.

11. RiverEndRick

I've gone back to the original graph for a wider comparison:

Screenshot_20211122-165424.png

A more realistic target might be the 33-34 points achieved in the second Hughton and Neil seasons. It wasn't enough then but it could be enough this season, given where we are at the moment. That would need around 20-21 points from the remaining 17 games.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  12. Canary Rob

Thanks - is the table out of date? Sorry my colourblindness makes it difficult to work out but I think it ends this season at match 12.

Interestingly we also look like we are on the same points as we were under Farke’s first PL season at the same stage? But we were bottom of the league then.

13. RiverEndRick

I make it that we're 1 point behind where we were two years ago. The graph is your original one, which is why our current season ends at match 12. I just extend it mentally to compare with the past seasons. It's interesting that Worthington's 2004-5 team finished on 33 points and only missed out on promotion in that final 5-0 loss to Fulham. It's possible that we could see a similar tight finish this season.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    Canary Rob likes this.
  14. Canary Rob

I see - agreed, though we will need more than just an extraordinary four wins and a draw in the final seven games to get that close.

15. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Yeah that was a very slow start and then that final game despair!

16. RiverEndRick

Tonight's match could be the key, as a win would take us out of the relegation zone on 16 points and put us even with Worthy's team at 22 games. A loss would seriously compromise our survival chances.

17. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

It's evened things up. Watford, burnley and Us are all six points adrift of a point a game and Newcastle are eight pints adrift. Pretty much all to play for now.

GozoCanary likes this.
  18. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

A point a game for the rest of the season would take us to 32 points. I have a feeling that this could be enough this season. Though a couple more would ease the nerves.

19. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

Absolutely. If we look at the table and see that Burnley have five games in hand - a potential 15 points - the heart sinks. But even if they do quite well (and better than they have done so far) and get 2 wins, a draw, and 2 defeats, they are only two points ahead of us. If we can beat Palace, then lose to Man City and Liverpool, we would have 19 points from 25 games, which may place us back in the bottom three once the other teams have caught up in terms of games played, but we won't be stranded at the bottom and it's game on (with the two hardest games of the second half of the season out of the way).

20. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

And Newcastle and Burnley both at Carrot Rd. I reckon that we now have a slightly better than 25% chance of avoiding the drop. Everton, Leeds and Brentford are potential outsiders. I think a win for a Leeds today would probably take them out of it. Brentford though are in a bit of a slump and no games in hand.

zogean_king likes this.