1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Premier League season, 2021 / 2022

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, May 7, 2021.

1. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

That’s the most damning chart I have seen

2. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

It's like we didn't even turn up.

3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

4. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

5. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not listened all the way through yet, but suspect it's not really going to say much.

"‘There’ll be some announcements in the next two or three weeks which will surprise some people.’

I think this is more important to get people back onside, as opposed to whatever he could say in an interview. We've known this is coming for a while now, the club have arguably known they'll be in the championship next season longer than half the clubs currently in that division.

A big early signing, some real positive changes, etc, will do wonders for fan optimism. Announcing a CM signing which leaves people thinking "how have we managed that?" would help an awful lot. Equally, saying that and doing nothing is setting yourself up for a deeper schism between club and fans.

mike555, Walsh.i.am and Canary Rob like this.
  6. SuffolkCanary

I think he just had to come out and be seen to say something for the sake of the fans. I appreciate what he says a lot of the time because it often doesn’t come with a PR filter and he doesn’t just say things to appease the fans, he will stand his ground.
    I personally am 100% behind Webber, he is right to draw attention to the huge strides the club has made off the field - which will benefit this club for years to come. Under his stewardship we have also had arguably one of the most exciting 5 year periods in recent history of the club

7. SuffolkCanary

This peaked my interest as well. Could be anything really from a new sponsorship deal, plans to redevelop Carrow Road or new ownership and anything in between.

8. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

I thought it was interesting that they are doing yet more work to the academy and training facilities bringing them up into the top 10 in the country. I know it was an awful season, but if some of the money is used for that then great it helps long term generate the players we need to make the step up.

SuffolkCanary and Canary Rob like this.
  9. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Yep, he definitely bears some of the blame in my mind, but he’s clearly willing to accept it, be honest and do better - and obviously I would prefer no mistakes to be made but we are all human and I don’t think we can expect any more than that from him. He’s still pretty young too.

carrowcanario and SuffolkCanary like this.
  10. SuffolkCanary

I am really struggling to understand and worried by the Webber Out brigade. I understand the feeling of discontent and people are right to challenge him and judge this season as a failure, but my god we could do a hell of a lot worse.
    Does one season erase all the progress that has been made on and off the pitch in the last 5 years?
    The thing I really don’t get is that the same group wish Farke was still the manager, surely if you think Farke should have had more time then Webber deserves it too.

All over the comments sections is people saying WebberOut and I know as usual the negative feelings shout the loudest but I really hope they don’t hound him out of the club because he is one of the best out there.

Remember at the end of the last season how desperate we were for him to say he would stay another year or two?!

zogean_king and Robbie BB like this.

11. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

Can someone please explain how the schism with the local media came about? I'm in the US at the moment and have clearly missed something. A newspaper headline?

12. SuffolkCanary

I believe it all relates to the Times article, local media jumped on the 90% stuff, which Webber addresses here, from there on I think he said he will not be speaking to any local media outlet.

zogean_king likes this.
  13. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

zogean_king likes this.
  14. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think there was a Norwich Evening News headline he had a real issue with? New editor in chief with a provocative heading that riled people up and led to an icing over of communications with Archant.

https://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2022/05/05/you-say-you-dont-want-the-webberlution/

This Mick Dennis article drew a sharp rebuke from Paddy Davitt for containing several false statements about Paddy's relationship with Webber, but you can get the gist of the disagreement.

15. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

He's painting the away dressing room pink again

zogean_king likes this.
  16. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

Rumour tonight of interest from an American investor. Can’t see Delia selling so this investment seems perhaps a minority holding? More to follow………..?

17. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

More on that here:

https://www.norfolklive.co.uk/sport...rican-multi-millionaire-sports-tycoon-7138048

This is a positive development to my mind. More investment improves our incremental development club plan. We're not yet Fulham spending big money to carry on being a yo-yo club, so we need to follow the moneyball model to find key players like Pukki and Buendia instead of spraying money around like we did last summer. It's time to stop trying to become the next ManCity and develop a strategy to find a successful structure for both the Championship and the PL. Evolution not revolution, IMO.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
    DHCanary and Robbie BB like this.
  18. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

<ok> Thank you both.

DHCanary likes this.
  19. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

I wonder if the investment will be in terms of a good sponsorship, it would be better than branding Carrow Road the Berlusconi Bunga Bunga Carrow Road.

20. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

Many NCFC fans and writers have been scathing in their criticism of Webber/owners/DS for what has probably been our worst season for decades: yet season tickets have been sold out for next season. If fans wanted to make a real statement of discontent then a boycott of season ticket sales would have left a marked impression on those who control the club. Now we have a scenario where the fans can be treated badly, but still come back for more.