1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Preston NE v Hull City

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, Aug 2, 2021.

?

City win?

Poll closed Aug 7, 2021.
  1. City win

33.3%
  2. Deep ****

25.4%
  3. Draw

41.3%
  1. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

VENUE

please log in to view this image

HULL CITY MANAGER

Grant Samuel McCann (born 14 April 1980) is a Northern Irish professional football manager and former player who played as a midfielder in the Football League. He is the manager of EFL Championship club Hull City.

Born in Belfast, McCann played in the Distilleryyouth system from 1995 until signing for the West Ham UnitedAcademy of Football in 1996, where he started his professional career.[2][3] He made his debut on 19 May 2001 in a 2–1 away defeat to Middlesbrough.[4] McCann also won 39 caps for Northern Ireland after making his senior debut against Malta in 2001, with the last of his 39 caps won in a 6–0 friendly defeat against the Netherlands in June 2012.

Managerial career
    Peterborough United
    On 16 May 2016, McCann was appointed Peterborough United manager on a four-year contract.[21] He was named League One Manager of the Month for August 2017, after his team got off to a flying start at the beginning of the season.[22]On 25 February 2018, he was sacked after no wins in seven matches.[23]

Doncaster Rovers
    On 27 June 2018, McCann was announced as the new Doncaster Rovers manager.[24] He led them to the play-offs on the final day of the season, 4 May 2019, with a 2–0 win over Coventry City. They finished in sixth place in the League One table.[25]They lost to Charlton Athletic in the play-off semi-final stages. After two legs the aggregate score was 4–4 with Charlton winning 4–3 on penalties.[26]

Hull City
    McCann was appointed as head coach of Championship club Hull City on 21 June 2019 on a one-year rolling contract.[27]City vice-chairman and son of owner Assem Allam, Ehab Allam said of McCann’s appointment, "Grant has been a standout candidate with a playing style and philosophy aligned to that of the Club. With a great team of existing staff in their support and of the squad too, I hope for an exciting season ahead."[28] On 14 July 2020, Hull lost 8–0 at Wigan Athletic, equalling their record loss to Wolverhampton Wanderers in November 1911. The result put Hull in the bottom three by one point having won once in their past 18 games with 14 defeats.[29]Hull were relegated to League One in 24th and bottom place following a 3–0 defeat by Cardiff City on 22 July. Despite the relegation, McCann said he hoped to manage the team in the upcoming season.[30]

McCann immediately led the team back to the Championship as League One Champions, winning promotion with two matches left to play after a 2–1 victory at Lincoln City.[31] The title was secured the following match with a 3–1 victory over Wigan Athletic, as second placed Peterborough United were held to a 3–3 draw, a result that still saw them promoted.[32] McCann was awarded a number of individual awards over the season, winning the League One Manager of the Month for both January 2021[33]and April 2021.[34]

HULL CITY 1970/71

LAST MEETING

PNE 2 HULL CITY 1

HULL CITY FORUM

https://www.not606.com/forums/hull-city.41/

LAST THREE RESULTS

HULL 1 MANSFIELD 2
    SCUNTHORPE 0 HULL 1
    SUNDERLAND 2 HULL 1

These mean nowt we’ll do these 3-1

2. Chazz Rheinhold

Preston’s accidental manager Frankie McAvoy: ‘I thought I would always be in Royal Mail’
    “I was fortunate enough that I managed to get a management role fairly early.” The accidental football manager is not talking sporting jobs. Decades ago, he had a post that acquainted him with routes; just not, generally, to the helm of Championshipclubs or a touchline date with Pep Guardiola this week.

“I had a fantastic 19 years with the Royal Mail,” says Frankie McAvoy, now head coach of Preston. By his own admission, his reinvention has come as a happy surprise. “I thought I would always be in Royal Mail,” added the Scot. Not since Alan Johnson went from postman to home secretary, perhaps, has a career in the postal service taken such a left-field turn.

McAvoy hails from Bellshill, the Lanarkshire town that produced one of the managerial greats. “I lived beside the Matt Busby Centre and went to school right beside it as well,” he says. The similarities may end there: Busby was appointed by Manchester United at 35, whereas at that age McAvoy was still on the books of the Royal Mail.

He may be the lowest-profile manager appointed by a Premier League or Championship club for years. He does not object to characterisations as the unknown football manager. He lacked a Wikipedia entry, a status symbol of even the least famous, when he took caretaker charge of a relegation-threatened team in March. Eight games, five wins and 17 points later and a man who has never applied for a manager’s job – in football, anyway – was given the position on a permanent basis.

“I have always been in the background,” says Alex Neil’s long-term assistant at Hamilton, Norwich and Preston. “Sometimes it is probably the best place to be, to be brutally honest. I had no aspirations whatsoever to be a manager or a head coach. I felt I was best suited as a No 2, somebody that can advise and assist and help.”

North End were not the first to spot his managerial potential. “I started as a postal cadet, one of the first the Royal Mail brought in,” says the 54-year-old. “I became an operations manager and then a planning manager, which was really, really good. That helps you coming into football because a lot of people are always in football but I had a good background in organising. The training scheme was about teamwork.”

Preston celebrate after scoring in their win over Derby in April – one of five victories achieved by Frankie McAvoy in eight games in caretaker charge.Photograph: Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
    He started coaching his young sons, Declan and Dean, working with age groups from the under-sixes, but never with a change of career in mind. His first experience of Scottish Football Association coaching courses, when many of his peers were former players, showed the benefits of his line of work. “When we had to put session plans in place, it was probably a lot easier for me than for guys coming from playing football that probably hadn’t seen a computer before,” he explains. “When I was at Royal Mail, I was using computers way before they came into football.”

A successful season with a youth team featuring the sons of the former professionals Jock McStay and Pierce O’Leary brought him to the attention of Bobby Jenks, the talent spotter who later urged Aston Villa to sign John McGinn. A part-time role at Dunfermline beckoned, then Hamilton. There he managed a teenaged James McCarthy. The captain was Neil – “One of the most tactically gifted guys I have seen; I knew right away he would be a good manager,” – and McAvoy was offered a post in charge of the academy. “I wasn’t sure if going into football was the right thing to do but sometimes you take a risk,” he says.

It paid off. It was “surreal” to spend a season in the Premier League after Norwich’s 2015 promotion. It was still unexpected when Neil rang to say he expected Preston to ask his sidekick to take charge after his own sacking. “It put me right back to when I was leaving Royal Mail; it was at the stage of: ‘Do I do it?’. I said: ‘What’s the worst that can happen to me? The worst is that I don’t do well and I have got to move on. If you don’t take that job, you never know what will transpire.’” It went sufficiently well, with McAvoy proving tactically flexible and inventive, that North End ignored more than 70 applications to make an internal appointment.

But for Covid cases at Manchester United, forcing the postponement of Saturday’s friendly at Deepdale, McAvoy would have faced two of Busby’s former clubs this week. He can savour the game that went ahead. He was a rarity in Bellshill. “I always liked Manchester City instead of Manchester United,” he says. It was the product of a school trip to Maine Road, where he met Joe Royle and Tommy Caton. The modern-day City beat Preston 2-0 on Tuesday. Guardiola was nonetheless “extremely complimentary; it was a great education”.

Now for a season that involves planning for an operation he had never envisaged. “It is a great unknown,” McAvoy says. “You can’t see your future. Everybody would love to write a book but there are some pages of that book that you’ll never know what is there. It is intriguing.”

Jackthecap likes this.
  3. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Preston North End were founded as a cricket club in 1862. Their original name was Preston Nelson but later changed it to reflect the fact that they played their games in Ashton, at the north end of Preston.

On relegation, Preston fans parade a coffin through the town, and bury it in the cellar of the Trades Halls club in Bamber Bridge. They resurrect it on promotion. It could get quite confusing if they have a double promotion/relegation.

Teetotalism was invented in Preston.

They were known as the first invincible’s.

Preston’s Deepdale stadium is said to be the oldest continuously used football league ground in the world.

Preston was granted city status in 2002.

In 1885 Preston comprised most of West Lancashire.

On the 5th December 1958 Preston opened a By-Pass which was the first motorway in Britain eventually becoming part of the M6.

Kentucky Fried Chicken opened their first UK store in Preston in 1964.

Wallace & Gromit are from Preston as are the Bash Street Kids, Little Plum and Mini the Minx.

In 1218-19, Preston was the wealthiest town in the whole country.

The City’s bus station was at one point the largest in Europe. This was to accommodate the passengers trying to get the 56 to Preston Rd.

They hold the record for the highest ever score in English football. They defeated Hyde United in the FA Cup 1st Round, 15 October, 1887. Jimmy Ross scored 7 goals in the 26-0 drubbing of Hyde United.

They had the first black professional football player in English League football and also the first black player to play in the football league, Arthur Wharton.

The Canberra aircraft, the world’s first jet bomber, was designed in Preston.

The bright orange three wheeler Bond Bug motor car, was first produced in Preston in 1970.

By the mid 1800s, Preston became the second town in England after London to be fully lit by coal gas, making it the first provincial town in England to be lit this way. When laying the pipes for the lighting process some pipes were created from surplus musket barrels to save money.

The spire of St Walburge's Church is the tallest of any Parish church in England and the third tallest of any church in the UK, with only the spires of Salisbury and Norwich Anglican Cathedral reaching higher.

The row of red public telephone boxes along Preston's Market Street is the longest continuous row of the old style kiosks anywhere in the country.

The parents of legendary American outlaw, Butch Cassidy, lived in Preston before emigrating to America. It was said that Butch spoke with a strong Lancashire accent.

HGS66 and Chazz Rheinhold like this.
  4. Chazz Rheinhold

5. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Information overload.

Too much to read

DMD and Chazz Rheinhold like this.
  6. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

7. Chazz Rheinhold

8. Chazz Rheinhold

9. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

For the younger viewers, my little peony.

upload_2021-8-2_21-33-54.png

Evington likes this.
  10. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

Get some funny results first game , so I’ve gone away win

11. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Hard to say what will happen, a draw would be an okay result, but as said the first games throw up some odd results, so hoping for the win.

tigers1970 likes this.
  12. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

McAvoy hails from Bellshill,as did Matt Busby....As did the late Hull City Goalkeeper(and has to be my particular all time favourite),Ian McKechnie.

13. Tigger

Tigger Well-Known Member

Oleg the Giant comes from Preston.

14. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

15. Ric Glasgow

11 seconds?...Yeah,if you're Linford Christie!!

16. Chazz Rheinhold

Some of us are when it comes to beer! tho I usually pull a hamstring just before the door allowing den or askew to go to the bar

Evington and dennisboothstash like this.
  17. Tigger

Tigger Well-Known Member

It depends which platform you arrive at. It's up a flight of stairs, across a zebra crossing then another 20 yards to the door. It will be quicker now Debenhams has closed as the side entrance was there.

Of course, you would have had to pre order your pint and have it waiting for you on the bar.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    dennisboothstash likes this.
  18. Ric Glasgow

I'm more of a 'bend down and tie the shoe-laces type of person'...

19. rovertiger

rovertiger Well-Known Member

Hope this isn't a bend over. touch your toes way in the shower Ric. :emoticon-0145-shake:emoticon-0145-shake

Ric Glasgow likes this.
  20. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

I would be careful about which bars you did that in...

Ric Glasgow likes this.