1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Preston North End V Norwich City FC Kick off 15:00 Saturday 14th January 2023

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, Jan 13, 2023.

?

Who shall win ?

1. PNE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Draw

44.4%
  3. NCFC

44.4%
  4. Reading

11.1%
  1. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Looks like you're in bat again next time, krispy kreme! <ok>
    Nice opening gambit!

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Watching the extended highlights on YouTube Chris Goreham was constantly highlighting the 'energy and intensity' of the players and DW used the same words to sum up the performance and what he wants from his 'system'. There lies the difference for me. No knocking the ball around at the back but instead getting it forward quickly with good movement up front to make attacks less predictable and thus more effective. It's only the first game after one week of training but it's a helluva good start and a sea change from what went before.

Bure budgie likes this.
  3. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Agree, but Krul was still faffing about with short goal kicks, and nearly gave away a goal with a suicidal ball, which went straight to the opposition.

Still prefer Angus in goal.

4. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

5. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

He scored in both fixtures

GozoCanary likes this.
  6. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

You must be joking. Gunn is a shot stopper - Krul is a proper all round keeper. The whole defence looks more secure knowing Krul dominates the box and is not afraid to come off his line when needed. Wagner knows that the system he plays requires a keeper like Krul and that is why this was the first change he made. Another player who seemed to relish a change of role was Dowell - keep playing like that and he will probably deserve a new contract. Pukki also looked his old self with all the extra support he got instead of being left on his own. A very positive start to the new regime.

carrowcanario likes this.
  7. RiverEndRick

The 'extra support' for Pukki was quite extraordinary as players piled into the box stretching the defence and creating shooting chances. Pukki's first goal was a classic example of that.

8. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

https://norwichcity.myfootballwrite...-goals-and-a-display-of-unity-which-was-nice/

RiverEndRick and GozoCanary like this.
  9. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

10. DUNCAN DONUTS

11. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

Wagner takes over for Blackburn home match FA Cup R3. We lose 0-1 with a fairly inept display. A week later, NCFC push all the stats buttons and defeat PNE away in Championship. On the same day, Blackburn lose 4-0 away to lowly Rotherham. One week and Wagner seems to have performed a miracle having been in charge of both matches. Will he be walking on water next? Incidentally, I was not a fan of DS so these comments are not meant to be sarcastic. My take on one week in the long history of NCFC. Away to Coventry next week: should we expect much of the same?

12. RiverEndRick

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    GozoCanary likes this.
  13. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

His dad's comment was spot on, too.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  14. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I didn’t think the match against Blackburn we were inept. Not great, but the energy was there.

The difference is yesterday the players were brimming with confidence, self-belief and a desire to take a risk. It can’t purely be blamed on Smith, but the fact is the same players under him did not perform to that level - the confidence wasn’t there. Sometimes, a regime change is needed, to release some tension if nothing else.

15. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

I’d prefer Gunn in goal too. I would have agreed with all the above 5 years ago when we had him on loan but Gunn has improved a lot since then. He claims the ball in his area, he’s quicker off his line, better shot stopper, better distribution. He is also the future of the club and makes sense to build from him.

16. DUNCAN DONUTS

Krul is nearing retirement and a legend for those 2 promotions , Gunn is the future but also ever present in that horrific run without of 16 with 1 win.

Taking him out of the spot light and giving big Tim the gloves was a masterstroke which he repaid with some amazing saves and a clean sheet .

If they were similar ages then this could be a scrap of ego's but Tim knows he's ended his career at the Netherlands and would love a hat trick of promotions, if the mistakes cost us games then he will have to step aside.

Not sure Gunn would have kept a clean sheet yesterday and certainly doesn't have the self confidence of Tim .

For Wagner it was a ballsy move that paid off

RiverEndRick likes this.
  17. DUNCAN DONUTS

18. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

This video is even better than the match highlights at showing how good we were. If we can play like that for the rest of the season, we're a shoo-in for the play-offs.

19. RiverEndRick

Great video Dunc, giving a real feel of the game.

20. RiverEndRick

Excellent tactical analysis of the game by Ben Lee. I particularly liked his conclusion:

"In less than two weeks, Norwich's intensity - both in and out of possession - has increased dramatically. On Saturday, Norwich were able to trap Preston in their own half, thanks to their intense counter press. Fast transitions, in possession, also caused significant problems for Preston. In addition to an increase in intensity, Norwich's attacking structure was much more organised against Preston. This created clear routes for ball progression in the build-up. After David Wagner’s first league game in charge of Norwich, there are clear signs of improvement."

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/23255467.norwich-city-tactical-analysis-preston-championship-win/

Walsh.i.am and Bure budgie like this.