1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Preston North End V Norwich City FC Kick off 15:00 Saturday 14th January 2023

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, Jan 13, 2023.

?

Who shall win ?

1. PNE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Draw

44.4%
  3. NCFC

44.4%
  4. Reading

11.1%
  1. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

To be far the increase in intensity didn't start with Wagner arrival, but with Smith leaving.

2. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

Indeed, but has anyone seriously asked themselves Why? (as opposed to jumping to an easy conclusion)?

3. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

May I ask what is the easy conclusion? And what is the deeper conclusion?

4. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

That's true but the changes by the interim coaching team were aimed at moving away from slow build up from the back and increasing the intensity and pace of attack. That was the right direction but Wagner has moved several steps further with the tactical sophistication described in the tactical analysis above with the dynamic triangles on each flank connecting a CB, FB and attacking player allowing the movement and passing which overwhelmed the Preston defence, as did the gegen pressing when the ball was lost. The outcome was 4 goals by the team which had struggled for goals previously. It has to be repeated and developed further, but the confidence of the players will be boosted by the goals and the clean sheet. It's certainly got me believing again.

5. carrowcanario

I guess as it couldn't be linked to Smith in any way it must be down to the magic fairy. The players haven't changed, they haven't suddenly got fitter. If everything is constant and the only change is management what other conclusion is there to draw ?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  6. carrowcanario

That was kind of my point !

RiverEndRick likes this.
  7. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

You really are silly , Smith didn't have the success he deserved because of the players he inherited from Farke and the fans had it on for him .

The improvement in performance last game was because of the hard work Smith put in is just starting to pay off.

carrowcanario likes this.
  8. Robbie BB

Who said it couldn't be linked to Smith? Who said it would be wrong to link it to the change of management? It is patently obvious that it is linked to the change of manager; the question is how exactly.

9. Robbie BB

Apologies if a link to this (Michael Bailey's post-match video from Deepdale) has already been posted:

10. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Oh wise one, pray share this nugget of knowledge with us humble mortals - how, then? Did the magic fairy grant each player a red bull can?

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.

11. Robbie BB

If you actually think about it, it's those jumping to the easy conclusion who believe a magic fairy granted each player a red bull can.

12. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

For those interested in Wagner's tactics against Preston, here's an explanation of the la salida lavolpiana tactic which had McLean dropping back into a back 3 when we had possession:

https://www.hub-soccer.com/2020/02/05/what-is-la-salida-lavolpiana/

The aim is to progress the ball through the thirds as the FBs are freed to move forward on the flanks to create more passing outlets. This then allows them and the other 4 players to build attacks by creating overloads in and around the penalty area. Pukki's first goal was a good example as Hernandez cut in from the left drawing defenders to him, so he passed to Sara. The defence responded to the pass, but left Pukki in space to shoot as Sara got the ball across to him. This play left the Preston defence bamboozled all afternoon as we got players free in the area all afternoon.

Here's McLean's reaction to the new tactics and his own role within them.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/23251404.norwich-city-kenny-mclean-interview-david-wagner-impact/

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    Robbie BB and Canary Rob like this.
  13. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

No, sorry, the part of your omniscience and wisdom that means you know why the players dramatically changed in a way unrelated to Wagner remains something I am, in my basic ignorance of what you describe as obvious, still completely missing.

I appreciate you think it’s really obvious, but remember we are all dramatically stupider and less-knowledgeable than you, so to comprehend your original comment will require you to explain clearly. Preferably with short words and sentences. We are thick to you.

And so, for the avoidance of doubt, that means your latest cryptic response here does nothing to help chip a little away at my deep ignorance by comparison to you. You must help us mere mortals.

14. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

Dear old Robbie really does a splendid job of winding us up. I thought he was a replacement for ColuMike but to be fair Robbie is a lot better than Mike because sometimes he does make sense and he always makes full use of the English language unlike Mike whose vocabulary was restricted to words which had appeared in the Beano.

DUNCAN DONUTS and zogean_king like this.
  15. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member