1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Preston North End vs QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Mar 3, 2020.

1. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Saturday 7th March 2020 - 15.00

Travel;
    Drive: 4 hours and 1 minute up the M40 and then M6
    Train: Just over 3 and a half hours on the tube to Euston, West Coast train to Preston then two buses to the ground.
    Bike : 21 hours and 241 miles on cycle route 68

Previous history v Preston North End
    Games won: 11
    Games drawn: 16
    Games lost: 17

Ones to remember;
    20 Jan 1968 Queens Park Rangers v Preston North End W 2-0 League Division Two
    06 Jan 1973 Queens Park Rangers v Preston North End W 3-0 League Division Two
    23 Feb 1980 Preston North End v Queens Park Rangers W 0-3 League Division Two
    17 Oct 2009 Queens Park Rangers v Preston North End W 4-0 League Championship

Same video everytime we play them, I know, but I so enjoy watching it;

Mainly as it broke a run of six losses in a row, and it was our last meeting;
    07 Dec 2019 Queens Park Rangers v Preston North End W 2-0 League Championship
    Ones to forget;
    25 Dec 1950 Queens Park Rangers v Preston North End L 1-4 League Division Two (Christmas day...?)
    10 Feb 2001 Preston North End v Queens Park Rangers L 5-0 League Division 1
    19 Jan 2019 Queens Park Rangers v Preston North End L 1-4 League Championship

Players who have played for both;
    Tom Smith:

1899–1900 Queens Park Rangers
    1900–1901 Preston North End 2 (0)

Gareth Ainsworth;

1992 Preston North End 5 (0)
    1993–1995 Preston North End 82 (12)
    2002 → Preston North End (loan) 5 (1)
    2003–2010 Queens Park Rangers 141 (36)

Patrick Agyemang;

2004–2008 Preston North End 122 (21)
    2008–2012 Queens Park Rangers 75 (15)

Max Ehmer
    2009–2015 Queens Park Rangers 1 (0)
    2012 → Preston North End (loan) 9 (0)

Jordan Hugill;
    2014–2018 Preston North End 103 (23)
    2019– → Queens Park Rangers (loan) 34 (11)

Match Preview from the official;
    QPR boss Mark Warburton insists his team won’t simply be playing for a point when they visit high-flying Preston North End tomorrow (Saturday).

Sixth-placed Preston have been beaten on home turf just twice in the league all season.

However, with the R’s currently unbeaten in five Sky Bet Championship fixtures – and having also picked up back-to-back clean sheets in their last two away ties – Warburton believes Rangers are fully capable of hurting Alex Neil’s talented Lilywhites.

We know we have the attacking prowess to hurt any team.

MARK WARBURTON

“I think they’re really well organised,” Warburton told www.qpr.co.uk. “They’re a very experienced team who are very good at what they do.

“They have a lot of maturity in their ranks and a lot of knowhow, too. They are where they are because they deserve to be there.

“We beat them in the reverse fixture – at the time they were on a bad run and lost four in a row at that stage. But they’ve bounced back really well. They’re a very strong outfit with a great home record. So it’s a tough place to go to and their expectation will be high.

“However, they’ll know that we can create chances, that we can move the ball and be dangerous. We have to go there and try to impose ourselves on the game.

“We’ll show respect to our opponent and it’ll be a case of doing our job at set-pieces. We’ll have to be very, very good at defending our goal.

“But we know we have the attacking prowess to hurt any team.”

Rangers head to Preston having not won at Deepdale since Tommy Docherty was in charge in 1980.

However, having ended similar barren runs against Blackburn and at Millwall earlier this season, Warburton is looking forward to the prospect of putting another unwanted statistic to bed.

“I love to hear positive stats over the course of a season!” he joked.

“Preston are a club with good tradition. They’ve had some great players in their ranks and have a fan-base who follow their club passionately.

“It's a tough place to go to and it’s as simple as that. They’re a team who are currently fighting hard for the play-offs, for promotion, and as I said, their expectation will be very, very high heading into this game.

“For us, it’s the same message – we have to prepare well and impose ourselves on the game. We’re a very good team when we do what we do well.

“We can’t sit off – we have to be on the front foot, moving the ball quickly and being brave with our decision making. If we do that, then we’ll pose any team a problem.”

On the subject of consecutive clean sheets on the road, at Swansea City then Nottingham Forest, the R’s boss added: “Every game is different, absolutely, but we’ve shown resilience and defensive nous to look after our goal. We certainly should have taken more than a point away from Swansea.

“We know what we face at the weekend. They boys have worked hard in training this week and you have to enjoy these challenges.”

In terms of team news, Warburton confirmed that skipper Grant Hall could return for the trip to the North West after missing the 2-2 home draw versus Birmingham City last weekend.

“Grant trained yesterday (Thursday) and did the full session,” he explained.

“That gives me a selection problem because we saw the back two (Conor Masterson and Yoann Barbet) work very hard last weekend.

“Well done to the medical and sports science teams. Grant had a back problem but they’ve dealt really well with it. The player and departments worked very well together and that’s what you need to get players back fit and ready.”

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  2. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

The promotion train heads north.

Choo Choo.

3. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

We have a surprisingly poor record against PNE.

I am sure that they perceived us as one of those soft “southern” teams.

Let’s hope that we show them otherwise!

4. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

Very true. I have a friend who married a PNE fan a few years back, and typically, since then they have beaten us in almost every game. Six in a row before we won the last meeting. Hoping it is now our turn to win six in a row. :emoticon-0112-wonde

QPRski likes this.
  5. Bwood_Ranger

Huge respect for how they operate and punch above their weight. Some right bastard players who have taken advantage of the fact we absolutely have been soft as ****e in the past.

Not so much now when Cameron/Ball/Rangel/Hugill play but without a doubt we are far nicer and softer still than most teams in this league. Not a game for Baby Amos.

kiwiqpr, QPRski and ELLERS like this.
  6. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Agree we always seem to get turned over at Preston.

7. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Hopefully Hugill will stick it up his former club, he's overdue a big game for us...

8. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

first time trip to preston

Goldhawk-Road, jeffranger and Ninj like this.
  9. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Dressed like that you will freeze up here, good news for you our forwards have not potted once since the election, Pearson injured which is a pity becasuse the tusslw between him and Eze was excellent at Loftus Road.
    If you are travelling by train the Avanti Chicken stuffing butty is quite ace, match thread on my site if you are interested

QPRski, Stroller, WalsallHoop and 5 others like this.
  10. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

I am hopeful for a win or draw but.
    With all the sides that have been promoted from championship in recent years, I would not to too disheartened to see them go up

themaclad likes this.

11. Yorkshire-Rs

Yorkshire-Rs Well-Known Member

Cant remember the last time the highlight of my trip to Preston was not getting hammered on the train from Garforth to Preston. And to add to my woes Northern got rid of a direct train which stopped at Blackburn, Burnley, Preston and Blackpool

12. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Beautiful chicks

kiwiqpr likes this.
  13. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Ahem
    Fellow supporters

QPRski and Wherever like this.
  14. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

I would be pleased with a solid defensive performance which could give us a draw, even 0-0, and then we will nick it with a late goal. I guess that is an “ugly” win.

Knowing our QPR luck, we will probably concede in the addded time!

Anyway, I hope to watch the match on the steam. COYR’s!!!

15. Bwood_Ranger

Unlikely I know but if we did win today then players should be looking up and fearing no one with a shot at the playoffs. It’s a dreadful league.

Obviously we’ll lose, draw against Barnsley and lose at Charlton then be nervously looking over our shoulders, but still we can dream.

16. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

We owe Barnsley a tonking.
    I'm going to Charlton - rare away game.for me so we'd better not lose!

QPRski likes this.
  17. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

A slightly "off-topic", but is there any talk of games in Championship being called off (in the near future) because because of the coronavirus?

18. Rodney

Rodney Well-Known Member

No worries, I never tire of seeing that goal. I reckon it's one of the best I've ever seen at HQ. It had everything: ball control, strength on the ball, skill and capped with a wonderful shot.

daverangers likes this.
  19. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

I’ll not be contributing to this thread. Sorry about that.

20. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

We should take each game “one at a time”. In theory, they are all “winnable”.

The Play-Off’s are “possible” but “unlikely”. If we win the next 5 matches, then we are in the play off mix.

But to do this, we need “consistency” and we are just as likely to lose the next 5 matches.

But we NOW have a good attack and a relatively sound defense. Next season we will most probably be without Eze and BOS, so will we be better?

I would certainly go for it!

The Championship is all about “consistency of results”.

But it is easier said than done!