1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Preston V Norwich City F.A cup extravaganza

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, Jan 1, 2020.

?

Who shall win?

1. Preston

13.3%
  2. Draw

6.7%
  3. Preston

6.7%
  4. Norwich

46.7%
  5. V.A.R

26.7%
  6. Reading

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

Well, VAR is here to stay lisbon, so if watching really is a joyless experience for you now, you have a problem. But as I keep saying, the trouble is not VAR as such but the particular implementation of it by the EPL and PGMOL (just as many of the issues around EU legislation here in the UK are not the fault of the legislation itself but the UK's bone headed implementation of it).

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  2. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

As long as VAR is only used to correct clear and obvious errors, I'd agree with you, Robbie. But I would include offside decisions in that. I simply don't believe that the technology exists which can measure the position of the forwards/defenders to the micrometre, the moment the ball is kicked to the microsecond, put these two things together, and then make a decision which can be guaranteed accurate. The fact that they seem to need to look at a dozen different video pictures and often take more than two minutes before they reach a decision supports my view IMO. It costs the flow of the game and the pleasure of the spectators and therefore simply isn't worth it, even if there is *some* increase in accuracy.

3. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

The offside fiasco is an example of exactly the sort of inept implementation of VAR by the EPL/PGMOL I was referring to. There will be changes next season, prompted not least by FIFA issuing "guidelines" (more polite phraseology than "instructions to alleviate peculiarly English stupidity").

GozoCanary and DHCanary like this.
  4. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Post match DF said it was both, but that it was only a light hamstring injury. Fingers crossed!

As for leads, we went 3 up yesterday Robbie and we went 3 up against Newcastle and 2 up against ManCity and Everton, though those seem a while ago now. Still, we're on a 3 match unbeaten run now and will take some confidence to ManUtd. Fingers crossed again!

mike555 likes this.
  5. Phuketcanary

Phuketcanary Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks this season has been a disaster is a fool. We have played a lot of good to watch football. Rarely been turned over by the big sides that actually play a bit. We just havent won enough games. But our squad cost less than half the cost of the next cheapest premier league side.

To be massively outclassed and embarrassed week in week out wouldnt even have been a disaster. It would have been the prudent expected outcome.

We dont have the money for this league. Difference is this time we arent pretending we do, precisely so that this season cant be the harbinger of a real disaster.

6. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

I have followed Norwich long enough to expect the low times as well as the high , I would consider yesterday one of the better results of the season .
    We haven't progressed this far for over 7 years and Idah exploded onto the scene with a hat trick.

I honestly don't care that we conceded 2 in a cup I'm delighted we got 4.

Idah could have lifted the ball higher for his first I guess instead of a boring on the floor shot like Pukki always does if I'm being picky ;)

7. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

While I was sure we would be in the bottom three following the Burnley game, I have not been disappointed with performances in general, just frustrated.
    I have always taken into account just how young and inexperienced this squad is and sadly it does show.
    They will learn the hard way and that is no bad thing.
    I am still somewhat surprised just how well Todd has done; certainly one of the shining lights so far this season

8. DUNCAN DONUTS

If reports of a transfer battle between Spurs and Arsenal for Aarons for £30m plus are true then "IF" we do go down there would be no pressure to sell our other young talents.

9. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

I’d rather we give Idah his opportunity against Man Utd and see how he does rather than risk further damage to Pukki. It’s not a must win game, and if he aggravated the injury further then we will be without him for much more than 1 game!

chinacanary likes this.
  10. DUNCAN DONUTS

You mean an MWG it's not a we might fluke a win game MFWG so I concur.

11. RiverEndRick

I also agree Suffolk and I'm pretty sure DF is thinking along similar lines. We're at a point in the season where we need a lift and Idah might just provide that. He turns 19 in a month, is 6'3" and strong and pacey. Why not give him a shot until Pukki is fit again.

Canary Rob likes this.
  12. DUNCAN DONUTS

Plus Drmic Srbeny and Pukki are all injured so incredibly fortunate timing.

13. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

Yesterday felt like a fantastic blast from the past, or at least from last season: Norwich winning a totally open game by scoring more than their opponents. And no VAR! Bliss.

14. ThaiCanary

Fair and sensible comment from the short to mid-term outlook <cheers>

It would be a hell of an experience for him and if Man U can't get a shot on target again this week, we could sneak more than a point from the game :emoticon-0103-cool:

RiverEndRick likes this.
  15. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

They play Man City tomorrow and have an injury list almost as bad as ours was earlier in the season. Phil Jones and Lindelof the only fit CB's for tomorrow, I don't know whether that will still be the case by the weekend.

16. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Probably buy their way out of the crisis (Unless of course, Ole's on his way out?) but if they have two fit CB's they are hardly at our crisis levels!

bah!

RiverEndRick likes this.
  17. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Burnley away. Not easy!

18. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

It could've been better.

19. RiverEndRick

This is a job for the scourge of the northwest - Adam Idah!

20. ThaiCanary

Yep, when I saw the draw this morning my spirits were quickly deflated :emoticon-0101-sadsm
    But I thought PNE was going to be our cup exit (as they were flying when the draw was made) so what do I know?

RiverEndRick likes this.