1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Proud of our little club.

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by qprbeth, Oct 30, 2019.

1. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Tweet from Amit: Oroud of Lee and proud of our club for making this statement and taking this stance. Racism has NO place in sport and NO place in society and both UEFA and FIFA need to wake up and do something about it. Immediately. Without delay.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  2. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Excellent statement but don't hold your breath that either organisation will change their insipid ways on racism...

Ninj and Uber_Hoop like this.
  3. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Am I being stupid.......what statement ?

peter1954qpr likes this.
  4. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

5. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

6. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Great to see the statement from our club. No form of racism is acceptable in a civil society. Our under18's shouldn't have been abused in Spain and the England players shouldn't have been abused in Bulgaria.

However, the irony is, the English F.A. who complained about the abuse in Bulgaria do **** all about a player being abused week in week out because of his political views, ie. James Mc Clean. Double standards to me. I am fully aware that QPR condemned the abuse suffered by McClean when he last played at Loftus Road. The F.A need to condemn and do something about all incidents of racism/hatred or condemn none. That's my feeling.

kingdom hoop, Shawswood, Ninj and 3 others like this.
  7. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

UEFA and FIFA appear very poor in this incident.

They simply do not walk the talk.

8. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

Sorry - disagree with the stance on political views. He is not being discriminated against - some people just disagree with his views. There is a difference

There are plenty of other players who have been abused by fans over physical things that they can't change - any player with ginger hair, excessive tall players etc. I Don't see apologies being issued there

I'm (very) short heightwise and have suffered over the years as a result - is that any different to racist or religious abuse? It doesn't feel like it to me

9. finglasqpr

I don't think it's right to abuse anybody while they are out doing their job for any reason. The fact that McClean's abuse has been going on for about 5 years now means it is not just the odd little name calling. He has even had death threats. That is a serious criminal matter as opposed to just calling a person fat/small/ginger or whatever other names people get called. I think it is time the F.A. done something about it and sorted their own house before demanding UEFA do something about Bulgaria.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    QPR Oslo likes this.
  10. StortfordQPR

Death threats are clearly completely unacceptable

But I think my original point still stands....abuse because of political views is no different to abuse because of physical appearance, and no one is suggesting banning / punishing the latter

11. finglasqpr

So continuous abuse over a 5 year period that results in death threats is being compared to abuse based on physical appearance. I don't see the comparison, sorry. I think one type of abuse is very serious whilst the other is pretty minor and I see a huge difference.

I think when the F.A. do something about Mc Clean's abuse, then they might have the moral high ground to criticise other countries racist abuse.

QPR Oslo and kingdom hoop like this.
  12. Shawswood

Shawswood Well-Known Member

Your point is well made, and highlights an issue that is often overlooked by those who don’t experience that type of abuse, and don’t rate it, so thanks for making it ( I’m not implying Finglas doesn’t get it, to be clear)

13. StortfordQPR

Just to reiterate - death or physical abuse threats are never acceptable

However, I cannot change my physical characteristics - they have been with me for 50+ years now. So I've suffered abuse for 10 times as long as McClean...including being physically bullied at school

Worst of all one boss admitted to me that I'd been passed over for promotion because I lacked physical presence compared to the other candidate. If that had been race, religion or sexuality it would've been illegal

I don't abuse MacClean for his political stance whatever my own views. I understand double standards because of my own situation and experiences, and I wish more others did too but not holding my breath

QPR Oslo likes this.
  14. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Apart from gingers.

Actually, it is different. You can choose your religion or political beliefs, but you can't choose how you look or your sexual orientation.

15. finglasqpr

I don't want to harp on about it as it is coming up to Remembrance Sunday. Out of respect for all the victims of wars, I wouldn't want to upset anybody except to say, first of all, I am sorry you have suffered the type of abuse you have suffered. Secondly, McClean has been subject to vile sectarian abuse, his family have been abused and threatened. Kick it out have twice referred some of the abuse to the F.A. and they have still not done anything about it. Neil Lennon is another who has been abused in a similar manner. The connection is, both are Northern Irish Catholics. The people who run the industry in which they work have failed to protect them. Lets leave it there.

Best of luck Stortford.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  16. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Sectarian abuse is still rife up here, and it's the responsibility of both communities to stamp this neolithic practise out. Players, and fans, from either side of the divide are repeatedly abused, and no matter how many fines, bans or stadium closures occur the SFA, UEFA or FIFA hand out, until the issue is resolved externally this kind of abuse will continue.

Yes, Lennon gets a lot of stick, but it's more to him being a bellend than being a Catholic. When he was manager of Hibs he came to Cappielow where I go to watch Morton (whos fans are distinctly NOT from either side of the Old Firm) and he spent as.much time winding up the crowd as he did concentrating on the match - don't dish out the antics and then cry off. I've no doubt he does this everywhere, and I'm sure he revels in the villian role, and uses it to gee up his team (they were bloody good that day).

Wherever likes this.
  17. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

18. finglasqpr

I hear what you are saying and agree, it is up to both communities in Scotland and Northern Ireland to stamp it out. I agree Lennon can be feisty. Before Lennon went anywhere near Scotland or Celtic, he was getting sectarian abuse. They had effigies of him hanging from lampposts in Northern Ireland when he played for Leicester. All because of who he was and where he came from. They also knew he would not accept their sectarian abuse and that alone made him a target. McClean is the same. He will not accept it and both stand up for their rights. At least the SFA have tried to do something, the English FA have done absolutely nothing.

QPR Oslo and Steelmonkey like this.
  19. finglasqpr

Doesn't sound like fake news. The best form of defence is attack they say. Franco is still alive in Spain unfortunately. I say that based on the 4.5 years I lived there. Looks like there is a cover up going on.

20. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Judt fimished listening to the Open All Rs podcast, seems there may have been an incident of racial abuse against Lewis Walker in an U23s game a couple of days ago....