1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR v Brentford - League Cup 2nd Rd

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Aug 22, 2017.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

After the drama of Saturday’s last gasp win against Hull City, QPR turn their attentions back to the Carabao Cup this evening.

Fresh from the excitement of Idrissa Sylla’s stoppage time winner, R’s boss Ian Holloway will be hoping for less drama but the same outcome when QPR host local rivals Brentford in W12.

With the new season only four matches old it is hard to read too much into the opening exchanges that sees Brentford at the bottom of the Sky Bet Championship table and QPR sixth.

However, with QPR having made a 100 per cent start to the season on home soil Holloway’s charges will be full of confidence going into the match.

Injuries for both sides mean that they are likely to be forced into changes at Loftus Road..

Rangers are without duo James Perch and Josh Scowen from the starting XI that faced Hull at the weekend whilst the Bees are missing the influential Jota and reliable Sergi Canos.

Brentford beat AFC Wimbledon in the opening round 3-1 whilst QPR edged past Northampton Town 1-0.

The two sides have never met in the League Cup.

When and Where
    Tuesday, 22nd August, Loftus Road, 7:45pm kick-off

Last Time Out
    Brentford 3-1 QPR - 22nd April 2017
    QPR suffered a disappointing day at Griffin Park when the two sides last met at the tail end of the 2016/17 season. Yoann Barbet put the Bees 1-0 up midway through the first half before Jota added a second from the penalty spot on the half an hour mark following a foul by Joel Lynch in the area. The R’s defender made amends by pulling a goal back two minutes later but Brentford added a third through Jota soon after as the R’s suffered defeat.

Team News
    Josh Scowen (ankle) and James Perch (knee) will miss tonight after picking up injuries at the weekend.

Meanwhile, Joel Lynch (hamstring), Grant Hall (tendonitis) and Jordan Cousins (hamstring) all continue to be unavailable.

Jota (back), Rico Henry (knee), Josh McEachran (leg) and Sergi Canos (ankle) all look set to miss out for Brentford.

Midfielder Ryan Woods is due back at the club on Monday following compassionate leave and he will be assessed.

Alan Judge (leg) and Lewis Macleod (knee) are long-term absentees.

Stats

• The two sides have never met in the League Cup since its inception
    • Brentford have won once in the last 53-year at Loftus Road
    • Brentford have won 3 of the last 4 meetings and have lost only 1 of the last 5
    Manager Viewpoints
    Ian Holloway: “We are still finding out about ourselves as a group. The longer that goes on, the better it’s going to be. The more games we have, the better we should get. We are playing a Brentford team who were seeded for this competition. We weren’t. That tells you where we are. A lot of our fans won’t like that but Brentford have probably earned that over the last few years, with getting into the playoffs, and nearly getting there again.”

Referee
    Christopher Sarginson: The Staffordshire based officials fourth match of the season. He has handed out four yellow cards and one red card this season.

Tessa From Richmond - ''Come On My R's''

Holloway wants ‘up-and-at-em’ performance against Brentford

IAN Holloway wants to see another ‘up-and-at-em performance’ from his QPR side tonight when they host Brentford in the second round of the Carabao Cup.

The R’s chief has overseen a strong start to the season, with Rangers picking up seven points from four tough opening league fixtures, while also progressing into the second round of the cup at the expense of Northampton Town.

“We are still finding out about ourselves as a group,” he told www.qpr.co.uk.

“The longer that goes on, the better it’s going to be. The more games we have, the better we should get.

I am excited about the team that I will be putting out there.
    “I can’t wait for another up-and-at-em performance from us.”

While Brentford have made a disappointing start to their league campaign – they are currently bottom of the Championship – Holloway is full of praise for the way the Griffin Park outfit is run, and is a big admirer of Bees boss Dean Smith.

“They have a great identity,” he said. “The way they go about their business has been impressive. They have created lots of good players, which other people have bought off them, but Brentford have still continued to play very good football.

“It’s a credit to the club behind the scenes, and it’s a credit to the new management who have picked up a team that was already doing well, and carried it on.

“It’s a wonderful thing for Dean Smith to have achieved, and he deserves it because he was in the lower leagues for a while and he’s a very accomplished manager.

“He is a very good man as well and he deserves a lot of credit.

“We are playing a Brentford team who were seeded for this competition. We weren’t.

“That tells you where we are. A lot of our fans won’t like that but Brentford have probably earned that over the last few years, with getting into the playoffs, and nearly getting there again.”

Holloway also offered words of support for Brentford midfielder Ryan Woods, who announced last week that he and his partner had tragically lost their baby.

“Football is a wonderful game and it’s a privilege to be involved with,” said Holloway. “You have opponents and you have different loyalties, but deep down we are all one big family.

“I want Ryan and his family to know that everyone at QPR is giving them all the love in the world right now.”

Holloway confirmed he will field a strong side for this evening’s fixture, explaining: “We will have a strong team out which is designed to cause

Brentford as many problems as possible, but we obviously need to be mindful that we have a trip to Cardiff on Saturday.

“If you can come along, it would be great to have as many fans as possible supporting the lads.

“I understand how tough things can be, and a lot of you probably didn’t budget for us being in the second round of the cup! But I am excited about the team that I will be putting out there.”​

Tramore Ranger, UTRs, Kilburn and 5 others like this.
  2. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Who is this Jordan Cousins of whom you speak?

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  3. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

It seems he helps out in the club shop more than he has on the pitch.

Didley Squat likes this.
  4. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

And a lot of you probably didn’t budget for us being in the second round of the cup!

<laugh>

5. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

"Tessa From Richmond - ''Come On My R's''

Nines you naughty boy <laugh>

6. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Nines, great write up as usual and I can already see that Tessa is likely to win the personality of the match award.

You have predicted an extremely strong team. If we field anything like for the starting eleven, and Ollie says it will be a strong team, then we could extend our 100% unbeaten home record for this season. COYRs!!!!!!

7. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Still not seen anything vaguely close to a cup run in my 23 years of following this club. Give me a quarter-final you bastards.

NorwayRanger likes this.
  8. Parishoops

Parishoops Active Member

I am in France, anyway to get a radio commentary/video stream for the match

9. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

I can vaguely recall us playing what I think was a quarter final to Man Utd in the nineties, losing of course. Must have been in the early nineties, guess around '93.
    That is a hell of a long time ago, about time we get our pulse racing again.

10. CroydonCaptainJack

I was there for 82 and then 86.
    Then there was a bit of a gap in going to Wembley until 28 years later!

11. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Last time we got to QF stage was 88/89, where we lost 5-2 to Forest. Lost 1-0 away to United in 4th round 2008/9

12. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Can't make it tonight so good luck The Rss. Be nice to stuff this lot as a pay back for last year. More so in the league though if I had a choice.

13. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

First game in two years, and only my second since moving away in 2000 - come on Rangers, give us a thrilling victory to remember!!!

14. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

I hope we demonstrate our intent to better our Championship West London rivals this season (and Fulham) by fielding a strong team, playing well and winning this cup tie as if it were a league match for 3 pts.

15. CroydonCaptainJack

It's symbolic I agree

16. Bwood_Ranger

I was born in 90 :1980_boogie_down:

Didn't get taken the the FA Cup 5th round game at Wimbledon for some reason but was taken to some away games by then so I'm not sure why. I think my cup highlight was that 'run' where we beat Walsall with Ledesma getting a hat-trick and then nicked a win at Villa before losing to a late Tevez penalty at Old Trafford.

17. Bwood_Ranger

If you've got a decent VPN I'd imagine it'll be covered online by London BBC Radio. Bon Chance.

18. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

My son claimed yesterday never to have seen us win a cup match, but he was at that Ledesma game. I shall remind him of that later.

19. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

However, not if that involves injuries to key players please.

20. Bwood_Ranger

We had the best midfield in the world. Then he got sent off at Bristol City and it all fell apart. Looked like a world-beater at times but he's never done much and is now 29 at the New York Cosmos while Parejo has had a really good career.