1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR vs Birmingham City

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Feb 27, 2020.

1. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

A roller-coaster of a game which now feels like two points lost.

We are 9 points from the play-offs and 10 from the drop zone. I guess we are “mid-table”?

2. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Decent game overall in the conditions. Feel it would have swung more in our favour if they didn’t have the luxury of being permitted to use hacksaws on Eze and BOS. Weird refereeing performance and the linesmen weren’t our friends.

I know there’s a growing theory that Pugh offers something defensively but I don’t honestly see it on the box or live. Bloke was dire in the first half and your nan would’ve scored from there.

Don’t get why we don’t go goal side at corners. Seemed to not be marking Hogan two yards from goal out of choice. Presumably to try and catch him offside. Great plan.

bobmid and StortfordQPR like this.
  3. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

I thought Pugh was good all over the pitch. One of our best today with BOS and Hugill. We were far better with Pugh, than with Chair.

4. Bwood_Ranger

I don’t honestly recall anything coming off for the guy apart from the goal. He was getting a lot of stick first half. Second half my eyesight is bad enough that I struggle to tell him apart from Eze.

Most of the game seemed to be on their left and our right.

5. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Pugh seems to be the latest player to get criticism from the armchair pundits .
    He's undoubtedly a good footballer, but I fear his legs are definitely going.

Ninj likes this.
  6. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Cheeky sod I have never said anything about him and I am an armchair this season due to work.

7. rangercol

Lol

ELLERS likes this.
  8. Bwood_Ranger

Maybe. Maybe he’s just ****.

No 10 likes this.
  9. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well I suppose we have to have one scapegoat......personally I blame Karl Henry for today's result....

qprbeth, kiwiqpr, Ninj and 1 other person like this.
  10. Bwood_Ranger

We all see the game differently. As Eze has been so good recently he rightly won’t get much flak but was poor today and wasted two excellent chances trying to do something difficult when an easy finish was on.

Barbet is on another level to the rest of our centre-halves including Leistner.

11. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Yes. Eze should have scored or won a penalty.

12. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Maybe that is why he gets subbed after 60 or 70 minutes. I'd like to see stats that show how far players run per minute played in a game, I think Pugh would have been top of them or close today.

13. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

I'm not going to criticise Warburton as we've waited a long time for a manager who really values attacking flair but you really don't want to come to HQ with a heart condition anymore. Cruising with 15 minutes to go but with a hard earned lead at stake, we bring on Chair as a third flair player for Pugh a dogged (and today, very effective) midfielder instead of shoring up to preserve the lead. The league's worst defenders against set pieces then leave two players high up the pitch for a corner rather than covering the posts. I think I approve of this brave and exciting approach to the game but today certainly won't be the last time we drop points after easily outplaying the opposition.

14. Rodney

Rodney Well-Known Member

I wasn't at the match (I'm on holiday) but, as I've said before, we seem to use a hybrid of man marking and zonal marking at corners. Hopefully, one day, Warburton will look at the stats and see that IT AIN'T WORKING.

15. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

I dont often disagree with you Col regarding football matters, but I dont think Pugh is a good footballer. He has scored 2 tap ins for us and pretty much has done **** all the rest of the time. He often looks to be running in quick sand. I truly dont understand what he brings to the team. This is my opinion on watching him live and on the box.

16. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Bet he cant run as far as Mo Farrah yet I wouldnt want him in the team either. I dont dislike the bloke, hes a good cook but I just cant see what he brings to the team, oh apart from running far!

17. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Tough game to describe. We were the better team throughout. Hugill's offside goal seemed to be a bit harsh, especially after some excellent build-up play by Bright OS although their opener appeared to be more offside. A hailstorm shower just after their goal seemed to stymie proceedings until half time although it was bitterly cold and sunny for the second half.

At half time I was thinking to myself that we didn't need two holding mids against this lot. Especially as they weren't being particularly adventurous at nil-nil, never mind being a goal up away from home. They weren't trying to play through us or playing between the lines.

In the second half, we got what we deserved after dominating the play and we went 2-1 up. Our second goal was a thing of beauty, although the highlights won't show this ... the ball was moved between the whole team, left-right backwards forwards until an opening appeared on the right with Bright and Eze combining to cross for Hugill to nudge home. A very well crafted goal. Our first was a well won header by Hugill as we looked like we wouldn't be able to fashion anything against this basketball heighted team. Pugh in the right place to knock it home.

Brum didn't ever look like scoring and it looked like we were cruising to a 2-1 win or even a 3-1 as we were the most progressive team.

They then had a throw-in which was a foul throw, which leads to a corner in which they score from with the scorer totally unmarked. Until then they didn't really trouble us and it felt like two points dropped. Hogan easily scored as he was left totally unmarked and bizarrely celebrated in front of the Loft as if we had given him pelters all game in which we hadn't. He must've thought it was a Brentford thing, not realising that we think of Brentford in much as we say, think of someone like Fleetwood. We really don't care about you.

All in all it was a good game and one that in the second half I could only see us winning. It was one of those games that we could've gone on to win 4-1 but in the end we drew 2-2. I thought the Barbet challenge on Hogan in the box could've been given and possibly made it 2-3, so all in all 2-2 was a fair result, although I fear the Birmingham fans will feel better off and less disappointed.

Ninj, QPRski, Sooperhoop and 3 others like this.
  18. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I don't get the anti-Pugh thing. He does a lot of the dirty work in winning the ball back when we lose possession. Which we have done far better this season than before.He does the nitty-gritty stuff in midfield that gets the team moving forward or calms things down in retaining possession. He's an experienced pro who helps the team and without him, we would be looking down instead of consolidating our position in this league.

He's a well-experienced pro who is an asset and a valid part of the spine of our team.

I thought that replacing him with Chair cost us the three points. But how will we ever know? That along with the Bela prolonged injury ( poor sod, he looked distressed ) would've seen us across the line.

19. rangercol

Fair enough mate and I certainly wasn't describing YOU as one of the 'armchair pundits'. You know your football for sure.
    I agree that Pugh's legs seem to have gone, but I do think he was once a decent player.
    We all see this stuff differently at times eh?
    There are still fans on social media who don't rate Eze!!!

Ninj and bobmid like this.
  20. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Every team needs the 'water carrier', you can't have 10 outfield artisans. Best example we had was Ollie who was Wilkin's gofer...

QPR Oslo, Ninj and QPR999 like this.