1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR vs Birmingham City

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Rodney

Rodney Well-Known Member

Having missed the all-too-brief Watford revival due to apathy, I did my usual 300-mile round trip yesterday to witness QPR's return to normal service. If that makes me the latest jinx scapegoat, I wholeheartedly apologise. Whilst the quality (sic) of the football was, to be kind, pretty basic, I have to confess that, despite Keith Stroud's best efforts, I enjoyed the game and I think some of the criticism of some of the players is overdone. I sometimes wonder whether some of the critics have actually seen the game (or benefitted from seeing it "in the flesh", as it were). True, it is an indication of the sorry state we are in that Ossie Kakay currently appears to be one of our best players but there are others who are putting in a commendable shift, his replacement, Drewe, being one of them.

Martin may have lost whatever pace he once had but he was contesting every header and generally putting himself about. Ditto Dykes, until he inevitably tired in the second half. I was never a fan of Martin and his dark arts but he is doing way more than I expected. Nevertheless, there was one moment in the second half (just the one, unfortunately) when we put together a series of short, sharp, clever passes on the edge of the Birmingham penalty area (ultimately coming to nothing) which brought home what we are missing from the good old days of not so very long ago. It was a bit of light bulb moment. Instead, we kept slinging over crosses - lots of them - which we never looked like getting anywhere near. You have to play to whatever limited strengths you have but we sure are missing those on our horrendous injury list.

Despite his best efforts, Dickie, in particular, is completely shot and could do with a rest. If only that were possible. Who was the genius that let Masterson go out on, what I presume is, a season-long, non-recallable, loan? Dunne is going the same way as his partner in crime: despite his undoubted commitment to the cause, he now looks increasingly ragged. However, my real criticism would focus on Lowe and Iroegbunam. The former barely raised a sweat and was never involved. On that front, like so many of our other loanees, he is a serial offender. The latter has so much ability but we only ever see occasional glimpses of it. I'm no expert but, in my humble opinion, he could be a real star but he seems to lack the energy or, perhaps, the motivation. As I've said before, he reminds me of Paul Pogba. Infuriating.

It was good to see Seny make a couple of truly breath-taking saves (one was subsequently found to be unnecessary due to an offside) but his kicking was, all-too-often, way below par, including a couple that went straight into touch.

Uncle Albert's contribution belied his age but one has to acknowledge that it was his missed tackle in the third minute that left us two-against-one in a Birmingham breakaway with the unfortunate Dickie as our one... you could see what was going to happen as soon as Albert's launch control on the wing failed and it was clear that the necessary reinforcements in the centre were still forward up the pitch, admiring our earlier attack.

Luke Amos came on and looked so much more energetic and effective than Andre Dozzell (faint praise not intended) until he had to rescue us from his own misplaced pass with the sort of rugby tackle that England would have been grateful for in Dublin yesterday. Decent player when fit. Regrettably, not fit very often.

In summary, I fear for our survival in the Championship but, like Gareth, I pray that the cavalry will arrive shortly and be enough, coupled with the dross below us in the table continuing with their run of poor form and, hopefully, some well-deserved points deductions. If we scrape through into the Championship next season, please please please Gareth show that you are flexible and progressive and give us some football that we can be proud of. The sort of hoof ball and head tennis that we saw yesterday will quickly begin to irritate.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  2. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Great effort Rodders. May the ‘hero’ cavalry be just about coming over the mountain in fine fettle.

3. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I thought we were ok in the second half. Mostly very basic, but ok, and If we'd got a goal, we'd have gone on to win. Apart from Lowe, who just seems to amble through games, I didn't see anyone shirking. I really don't think we're in serious danger of relegation and then there'll be the inevitable clear out in the summer and Ainsworth will bring in some players we've never heard of, a la Darren Peacock and Andy Tillson. Actual good lads though, not Redknapp-style good lads. I think he'll assemble a group that wants to play for the club and also for each other. It won't be all hoof-ball, either.

Just call me Pollyanna.

4. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

You don't think we're in serious danger of relegation?
    Have you seen the league table?

5. Stroller

Six points gap is plenty. One win and a couple draws will do from here.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  6. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

More confident than me. Lose at Wigan and we’re ****ed with our run-in.

rangercol likes this.
  7. Stroller

Last game at home to Bristol City is a cert three points.

LandOfHoopsAndGlory likes this.
  8. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

We're plunging to earth without a parachute and you're looking for a haystack!

Neverthess, I hope we find one...quickly

9. LandOfHoopsAndGlory

LandOfHoopsAndGlory Well-Known Member

And Brizzle is counting on that.

10. LandOfHoopsAndGlory

LandOfHoopsAndGlory Well-Known Member

What a novel way of Clutching at Straws.

Devonhoop and Goldhawk-Road like this.

11. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Probably will.
    It's getting them that's the problem.

12. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Good to read. Encouraging even if it turns out to be a fool's hope!

13. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

14. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Reading are rumoured to be getting their six point deduction this week, which may also help.

15. sku

sku Well-Known Member

Should have started with Johansen and Armstrong. When we were all singing his name at the end Armstrong turned to Ainsworth and asked him outright why he wasn’t in the starting XI.

16. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just one tiny little detail to ponder during the next 2 weeks.... Wigan haven't scored 2 goals in a game since 12th October....

We all know what happens next....

17. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

QPR999 likes this.
  18. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

did he do one for blackpool
    havent seen a link

19. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

kiwiqpr likes this.