1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic TV, Entertainment and Arts thread

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0159-musicOoh aaaah, Eric Cantona:emoticon-0159-music

2. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

LOved the replay of his "Sardines" press conference. The faux moral outrage by the Sun in 10 pages was typical of that Murdoch rag. I remember most of it quite well, but don't remember the Palace fan he kicked going berserk in the court. The idea that Le Saux must have been gay because he read the Grauniad might seem funny, but "Guardian-reader" is still used as an insult even today (I read the Saturday Guardian). A must-watch series.

3. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Guilty as charged :emoticon-0111-blush

I use "Guardian reader" as a derogatory term for middle class woke liberals who support the way XR goes about things.
    I must accept that reading the Guardian alone does not make somebody into a Greta disciple.

4. The Penguin

I also have great respect for young Greta <ok>. I have never understood why people sneer at her.

Ken Shabby likes this.
  5. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Because they're afraid of her.

They know she isn't afraid of them. She has nothing to lose. They have a very great deal to lose.
    I'm a bit afraid of her. I don't know what people eventually won't do in the name of her cause.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  6. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

It's a tricky one. On one hand, her intentions are utterly honorable; on the other, no one likes being preached to. Personally, I tend to switch over when young Greta comes on. In fact, I find climate change to be a rather dull subject (I know, I know, I'm the spawn of Satan). I much prefer stories about immigration...

7. The Penguin

Her message is basically Listen to the science! Personally I listened to the science nearly 40 years ago and believed it, as it turns out correctly. It has also turned out that they had the curse of telling the truth but very few believed them. No wonder, the future, mainly for our children and grandchildren, is too nightmarish to deal with, so we went into collective denial, especially those on the right (like the Republicans). I very seldom talk about it now, but think that instead of making hollow gestures we should start building flood defences.

lardiman likes this.
  8. lardiman

Forum Moderator

We're still building homes on flood plains I believe.

The complacency is staggering.

9. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

King Eric.

10. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

My favourite away kit.

11. The Penguin

And people are still buying them.

12. lardiman

Forum Moderator

:emoticon-0160-movie Entertainment snippet (courtesy of BBC4)

The classic mid 1980's sentimental ballad 'Don't give up' (Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush) was not originally conceived with Kate in mind.
    This sounds unlikely, as Gabriel and Bush had worked together occasionally since at least as far back as 'Games without frontiers'.

But according to the Beeb, the female part of the duet for 'Don't give up' was originally intended for... Dolly Parton :emoticon-0104-surpr
    But she turned it down.

Just imagine Dolly and Peter Gabriel in that video...
    It wouldn't be the moon causing a total eclipse of the sun <laugh>

13. Butterfield

14. Butterfield

15. Smudger603

Smudger603 Well-Known Member

Thought Elfs would of liked that one !

16. The Penguin

WEnt to see The Mousetrap last night, and kept up my 0% record of guessing whodunnit, having read all Agatha Christie's Poirot and Miss Marple books, and never got it right once.

17. Ubedizzy

Ubedizzy Well-Known Member

Been watching reruns of Denis Waterman’s 1990’s (?) comedy On The Up. It’s very funny and very underrated. Great cast and acting and not a hint of swearing or violence needed. Underrated actor is Denis. The Sweeney, Minder and On The Up.

And better still it’s followed immediately by Blake’s Seven.

T V Heaven

lardiman and Ponders Revisited like this.
  18. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Must admit I can't really recall On the Up, though the name sounds familiar.
    Dennis Waterman was a good guy to watch on TV. Always very natural seeming. And playing opposite iconic characters Jack Regan and then Arthur Daley, perhaps he never quite got his full share of the credit.

As for Blake's 7?
    Classic low budget BBC sci-fi, just occasionally outshining Dr Who as the Tom Baker era drew to a close and the long slow decline began to show itself.

A few of the later final (4th) series episodes of B7 were little classis in themselves, if not totally original ideas.
    Headhunter - strong echoes of the big budget but awful Saturn 3 movie (released only three years before this episode), made into a tighter, better story.
    Orbit - tense story about the breaking of a long term friendship in a survival situation.
    Blake (the final episode) - Dark betrayal tale, of the old seed of mistrust between the two strongest characters (both supposedly 'good' guys) ending in the bloody killing of one by the other.

One thing I will say for Blake's 7 is the writers gave it a definite ending, and not a happy 'StarTrek' one <ok>
    Very rare in the world of TV sci-fi, which is often far too safe.
    Only the end of The Quatermass Conclusion (the John Mills one shown on ITV at the end of the '70's) packs a similar punch.

I do love a bit of old school British sci-fi :emoticon-0126-nerd:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Ubedizzy likes this.
  19. Ubedizzy

Ubedizzy Well-Known Member

Forces TV, free view 96, 8.25pm weekdays if you want to see Denis in On The Up (also starring Sam Neil, Joan Sims, and Jenna Russell). Blake’s 7 follows at 9 I believe.

lardiman likes this.
  20. The Penguin

Last night I was at one of the top 5 concerts I've ever been at. Nicola Benedetti playing Mendelsson's violin concerto, followed by The Aurora orchestra playing Beethoven's 7th symphony at the Queen Elizabeth Hall. What makes them different is that they play from memory, standing up without music, and they brought the house down. Two beautiful pieces of music, played by creme de la menthe musicians, what more could you ask.