1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Questions From Newcastle Fans

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by LeonBestIsMint, Dec 13, 2013.

1. LeonBestIsMint

Hi lads, I'm a Newcastle fan from another forum and we like to ask fans a set of questions as part of our pre match build up. It would be great if you could help and answer them. Thanks in advance!

1 – How do you think you’ll line up?

2 – How has Saints' season gone so far? Happy?

3 – Lots of people have been raving about Southampton this season. How far can you go in the next few years?

4 – Do you have any talent coming through your academy? Who are the ‘ones to watch’?

5 – Who should we watch out for / who is your biggest threat?

6 – What is your prediction for Saints this season?

7 – How do you think Newcastle will do this season?

8 – Who will finish in the top six? Who will go down?

9 – Scoreline prediction?

10 – If your football club was a fruit, what fruit would it be?

2. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

Gazzaneega; Chambers, Fonte, Lovren, Shaw; Davis, Schneiderlin/Cork; Ward-Prowse, Lallana, Rodriguez; Oswaldo

Pretty good, went on an excellent run, had a few poor results recently but chances are most teams will lose away to Arsenal and Chelsea this season. Personally very happy.

3 – Lots of people have been raving about Southampton this season. How far can you go in the next few years?

Our team is looking great at the moment, I'm hoping for a top 10 finish. Almost all the players are young (under 26) and so they can only get better as a team.

4 – Do you have any talent coming through your academy? Who are the ‘ones to watch’?

Plenty. the youngsters in the team at the moment: Luke Shaw(LB), James Ward-Prowse (midfield and set piece), and Callum Chambers (RB)

Adam Lallana. Lovren has been holding the defence together too.

9th

10th :emoticon-0110-tongu

Top 6 (not in order): Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Tottenham

Relegation: Palace, Sunderland, Fulham

1-1

Banana.
    We're very a-peeling.

3. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Answers are in bold. :)

4. pass the football

pass the football Well-Known Member

As above, answers in bold.

5. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

We will line up as we always do in a 4-2-3-1. obviously Wanyama and Boruc are out and Schneiderlin/Clyne could be doubts so it may be the same lineup as last week against Man City. It will be a tossup between Lambert and Osvaldo up front because Newcastle's defence is a bit more physical than Man Citys and could bully Osvaldo out of the game whereas Lambert could wear them out for the first 60 for Osvaldo to take up the mantle for the last 30.

So far happy yes. Disappointed in the 3 games we lost though. For the Arsenal and Chelsea games they didn't play brilliantly but we played even worse. The Aston Villa game we played superbly but switched off for a total of 1 minute out of the 90 which resulted in 3 goals. If we finish 8th at the end of the season I think the majority of Saints fans will be overjoyed however I think Cortese will see it as a failure. He thinks we should be hitting top 6 now and the only argument we as fans can have is about the depth of squad because we unquestionably have an incredible starting 11.

I think a lot of people underestimate the feeling there is at Southampton and don't really understand why the chairman thinks we can challenge the elite. They don't understand why we as fans quite rightly state that our players are not just going to walk off at the mention of one of the 'big clubs'.

It's all about the academy, the youth structure. We played 4 kids last week against Man City. They have played together since they were babies. Its akin to the Scholes, Neville, Butt, Beckham era. We also have Lallana who states that if he is good enough to play for Southampton then he wants to retire with Saints. We have Schneiderlin who would improve virtually any team in Europe. Criminally underated and ignored by many fans yet he played for us in L1 so he has that same spirit. He is signed until 2017. So whilst we cannot compete in terms of FFP we can bring through talent and they are on lesser wages whilst getting playing time than bringing in huge marquee signings. They also stay longer whereas the majority of big name signings move from club to club. It sort of enables us to do what very few clubs can do, only the biggest, and that is build a squad of players over time. This is why we believe what our chairman says. Doesn't stop other 'fans' of big name clubs saying 'money talks' but let them. We'll be laughing ina a few years time.

We have several players on the fringes of the first team and Harrison Reed came on for a cameo at the end of the Man City game. We also have Matt Targett who is unfortunate to have Shaw in front of him as he is looking an awesome prospect for LB. We also have some promising attacking threats, some of whom have featured in the League cup this year, others have made the bench in Premier League games. Ones to look out for are Omar Rowe, Jake Sinclair, Ryan Seager & Sam Gallagher. Of course not all of these will be playing for Saints full team but they are at the best place to be given the opportunity to show they are worthy.

As always Lallana is the creative force of Southampton however when opposition focus too much on cancelling him out it lets Schneiderlin, Davis, JWP or Rodriguez have much more freedom. We are very fluid in the attacking part of our team and Lambert can often be seen as playmaker with 5 or 6 players ahead of him. Big club fans will laugh at me but he is a very similar player to Rooney and will often be in the midfield trying to create openings and make space for others.

A silent threat is Schneiderlin. If he is allowed to dictate the pace of the game then it can cause other teams a headache. We have shown how good we are at keeping possession and Schneiderlin is a master at it.

The New optimistic Saints fan in me says we can finish Top6. The old experienced Dellboy in me thinks a more realistic 8th place. However the way this team plays and the way the club is driving the message into us fans that 'we will achieve' I think even though we'd say we were happy with 8th and we did well, we would actually be a little disappointed.

One of those bite your tongue moments? Or take the flack? TBH I don't rate Pardew and I didn't rate him at Saints. Many did but to me he failed. Yes he started off -10 points, yes he had to build a team from scratch (apart from Schneiderlin and Lallana who were already there) but he was way off the pace at the end with by far the largest budget in the division bar none and started the following season abysmally. The papers focus on us sacking him after we won 4-0 but forget to mention we were in the bottom 4 in L1. He seem to be one of those managers who takes a lot of credit when things go right but it's everybody else's fault when they go wrong.

You've probably seen in your rollercoaster lat 2.5 years that when his team is on it they really are on it and he will milk the plaudits, when they are off he is absolutely clueless and resorts to hoofball.

I think Newcastle will finish in 9th or 10th unless they have injury problems. That long contract for Pardew could well lead to problems in the future though.

Head says the usual 6 of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, Man C and Tottenham however I could see a team 'like' Saints creeping in there because all of those top6 aren't looking as good as they have done in previous years. We only have Tottenham to play out of them and I've not been impressed with any of them despite us losing to Arsenal and Chelsea. I don't rate Brendan Rodgers and Liverpool's form could well drop off. Tottenham's form hasn't really gotten going yet. Maybe I've just convinced myself Saints will finish in the top 6 ;) Nahh that would be foolish..........wouldn't it? :D

To go down? Should I be ashamed or delighted? I can honestly say I haven't really thought about who will go down which is a very strange feeling for a Saints fan.

1-2 Saints to go 2-0 up before hangin on at the end. (If Schneiderlin is playing, 1-1 draw without)

A Tomato because lots of people think it is a vegetable. People don't get 'Southampton' either.

6. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Josh Sims is another academy lad to look out for.

7. James G

James G Well-Known Member

I think Josh Sims is going to be scary good. I think he'll go further than Rowe.

8. ChrisMarsdenFootballGenius

:emoticon-0102-bigsm

9. ImpSaint

Coconut isn't a fruit either. You just added Saints fans to my tomato analogy. lol

10. pass the football

pass the football Well-Known Member

11. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

12. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

It's scary how many good youngsters we have.

13. ImpSaint

Well I stand corrected, although it's surely really a seed :) Add me to the list........doh :)

14. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

A GK and ten outfield players.

I'm not Happy, most think I am Dopey, OK.

Undefinable, could go either way.

All of them

Would have been Guly but he is injured, Lallana I guess

Anything 17th or above will be fine.

7th.

I don't do well with predictions, pass.

1 - 1, never got one right yet.

Passion Fruit, it's my passion anyway.

15. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

i

16. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

1 - 1, never got one right yet.

Got one right at last, chuffed.

17. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Told Newcastle we would give them a game.......but what went on in the dug out for goodness sake. I know Newcastle are apparently the inform team at the moment. Hell it's no wonder when they take out referees the way they do!! :tongue: <whistle>