1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

They won't. During the Oakland riots a couple years back, a former Marine was hit in the head with a tear gas canister, shattering his skull. When protesters moved to aid him, a police officer -- caught on film -- through a tear gas grenade at them. He actually was fired...and then reinstated not long after.

Did I mention that said officer has three fatal shootings to his name? There've been many investigations by press in the US, and effectively police can quite literally get away with murder; if they kill someone, no matter how dubious the circumstances, the odds of it being ruled justifiable homicide are somewhere north of 99%.

http://blog.sfgate.com/crime/2014/08/01/scott-olsen-responds-to-rehiring-of-oakland-cop/

There was a really thorough investigation by a Florida paper a few years ago on the matter...I'll see if I can dig it up.

2. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Errrrrrr, that's not great. I noticed the article also said it was on a senior officer's orders so there should probably have been two people fired, and not just rehired. Can't help but feel that things like this should be a bigger deal because that's really ****ty. That said, I'm pretty sure the guys who killed Jean Charles de Menezes got away without any kind of punishment so it's not only the US that needs sorting out.

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

That officer's own quotes/Facebook status are rather questioning too.... "Shooters standby.." WTF?

4. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

It's not only the US, but it's mostly the US. This sort of thing does happen in other places. But you could add up the number of times that unarmed civilians are shot dead annually in Canada, the UK, and most of western Europe, and you'd probably get the total that the US manages in about an average month.

5. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Wow. Just wow. That is awesome. £15,000? I'll take 2 please.

6. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

Mark Duggan was an innocent kid, who the police killed. They then portrayed him as a gangster to justify their actions, and most of the white media bought it.

7. Jose Fonte baby

Jose Fonte baby Well-Known Member

ABB, into Southampton to do Politics and International Relations. Woo! :)

8. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

That can only be speculation. He did have a handgun on him at the time, and he had been convicted before multiple times, and suspected in connection with murders and attempted murders by gangs. Hardly an innocent kid. Whether it was a lawful killing is still controversial, and we don't really know for sure, but an 8-2 majority decided it was.

9. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Congratulations man. All the cool kids got ABB.

10. Jose Fonte baby

Jose Fonte baby Well-Known Member

Thanks! I got an E in Unit 4 Law but got As in the other 3 units and got a B overall.

11. AL.

AL. Well-Known Member

Well done. It's a very good university.

12. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

Mark Duggan’s criminal record included only one minor drugs offence and one of handling stolen goods for which he was fined a total of £280.

Hardly Al Capone.

And did he actually have a hand gun at the time? That's what the police say, but then they just killed an innocent person.

13. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

He had a handgun which was designed to fire blanks, but had been converted to fire live rounds, on his body. His family claimed the police had planted it, but his family also claimed he had never been a criminal, which was a bunch of ****, so they're not exactly trustworthy either. It was also alleged by numerous "unnamed sources" that he was well-known in Tottenham and connected with gang activity. The chance of police misconduct is probably pretty high too, and maybe they didn't need to shoot him, but this wasn't some innocent kid.

14. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Any news on your results DTLW?

(Well done JFB)

15. Sotonist

Sotonist Active Member

wasn't his uncle a known mobster of some kind?

it's really stretching credibility to claim he wasn't dirty. maybe by unfortunate circumstance rather than by his own design.

16. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

I got BBBB.

I needed ABB to get my first choice (University of Sheffield) and missed it by 4 UMS marks - so I am now on the phone... and sorting remarks.

17. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

Ahh ****e. What are your backups?

18. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

You've done really well mate - hopefully they'll let you in at Sheffield, but no panic if not. You'll get somewhere good (other than Oxbridge as well, it REALLY doesn't matter where you end up going in terms of jobs etc, honest).

19. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

You people are not making it easy to get any work done this morning.

20. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Some girl was rubbing her tit through her vest top and it popped out in the middle of town. <laugh>
    She went bright red haha.