1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ralph Krueger post-EFL Cup interview

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Feb 27, 2017.

1. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

2. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

I really want to believe him. But past few years have shown it's about doing not saying. If we keep this side together I will have so much belief. Even without new signings imagine lining up next season with
    Forster
    Cedric VVD Caceres/Yoshida Bertrand
    Romeu JWP
    Redmond Tadic Boufal
    Gabby

3. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

There will be no firesale ... now, where have we heard that before?

As much as I love our board, whatever they publically say, the opposite seems to happen.

4. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Apart from Ralph went on talkSPORT and said that Jay and Morgan will not be sold. And they weren't sold.

5. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

But we know if silly money offers come in and the player wants out.......they leave.

6. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

As much as this is Saints tinted rosey glasses, I don't actually think Virgil, who lets be honest will be the first name out the door if we sell someone, wants to actively leave. I think he would be happy with another season.

7. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

No firesale, but if the right bid comes in, a player will go. All depends on our valuation of the right bid. Although, I don't think there will be many players who think they could get it better elsewhere, bar Virg, and he seems pretty grounded so I'm hopeful of another season out of him.

8. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

If this could be the first summer where we actually keep every player we want that would be brilliant. The only one in danger of leaving is VVD, keep him and add a few and we could really do well next season.

9. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Isn't a firesale when lots of things (players in this case) are sold? The only 2 I can see leaving (as they are the main ones I can see attracting interest from the bigger clubs) are Van Dijk and Bertrand. If they were both to leave for big money then it wouldn't really be a firesale in many people's eyes

10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

A good interview. Saints have moved to longer contracts....that is a sign that we intend to keep teams together for longer. And although we sold several good players in recent seasons, we made some wait an extra season...such as Morgan, Victor and Sadio. And although we have a good side, not many are the out and out stars that attract huge offers...ignoring Gabby who has only just signed, I can only think of Virgil (and I think he will stay next year). I can see no reason why any player would leave us for a team outside the top 6 (unless they want to go abroad).

A lot of fans forget we are a business and you can never say never in business....things change...a player wants to leave, the money is right and we can see a good replacement. It is how we do and how we stick to principles over the long term. Too many fans (who are probably reasonable adults and make compromises in real life all the time) are too ready to revert to childhood....'it's not fair and it's not what you said before'. We are well run and we will be fine, but no one can promise gold every season.

11. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not even sure about Bertrand. I think he still has to go another rung up the ladder yet, until the big boys look at him. And in any event, Chelsea and Spurs as a minimum don't need a new LB. Whilst Arsenal could do with spending their money elsewhere, other than on replacing Monreal.

In my book, Virgil is the only player who the big boys would be looking at. So yes, by default, Ralph is right. We won't be seeing another summer of mass sales. (Might be a different story in summer 2018 though!)

12. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Liverpool need a LB...

13. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Well they can't have ours!

#stampsfoot#

14. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

I'm not going to get into an argument about it, as I don't like criticising the board, but 9 times out of 10, what they say publically, the opposite will happen.

Osvaldorama likes this.
  15. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Examples please.

16. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

You can't really say "I'm not going to discuss this" and then quote an arbitrary made up statistic.

That's Trump-style at it's finest!

17. Libby

Libby 9-0

Actions speak louder than words, though we *appear* to be in a better position than previous Summers.

Still think Virgil will go, though I'd love to get another year out of him.

18. Libby

Libby 9-0

Out of interest, how many sales would you class as a firesale?

Playing devils advocate what happens if the 'right bid' comes in 3 or so players?

19. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Not using the word firesale as literal; so I mean when a load of first team players are sold. I.e. that season we lost Lallana et al. We've then lost what, two key players per season since on average?
    Depends who the 3 players are obviously. Van Dijk, Bertrand, Tadic, would be different to Martina, Long, H. Reed. I fully expect Rodriguez and Martina to leave. Noting we've already lost Fonte this season.

20. Shepherd's Clearing

Shepherd's Clearing Well-Known Member

Well he does say "...we can keep the core of this team moving forward for a few years" which would suggest that one or two players will move on if the bids come in.

We're Southampton and if VVD is wanted by ManUre or Chelski and he wants to go all the best intentions in the world or the outrage and upset by supporters won't make a difference. He'll go.

No point sweating it.