1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rank Liverpool's top PL forward

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by redcgull, Oct 18, 2021.

1. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Now then all... I don't post much on these pages, but am a frequent visitor, but thought id share the pole that the BBC have up on their page asking you to Rank Liverpool's top PL forward...

I must admit that all of these type of things are all from a personnel perspective, and i don't really care for them much. But with the talk about Mo being the best/greatest/ world class etc i thought id see what you all think...

The list is,
    Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Mo Salah, Sadio Mane, Luis Suarez, Roberto Firmino, Fernando Torres, Dirk Kyut, Daniel Sturridge & Ian Rush (Premier League era only...)

I stopped going to the match a few years back now and i never got to watch Suarez live, which really pisses me off, but i did manage to watch Mo on the one occasion, the one where he scored that screamer against Chavski in the top corner at the Kop, so happy days for that one and only visit. All of the others iv'e seen at there best and shockingly bad. I also saw Rush before the Premier League started, but as we know football didnt start until then did it...!!!

Anyway, this is my list in order...

Mo Salah
    Luis Suarez
    Robbie Fowler
    Fernando Torres
    Sadio Mane
    Michael Owen
    Robert Firmino
    Daniel Sturridge
    Ian Rush
    Dirk Kuyt

Rank Liverpool's top PL forwards

Mine are based on not just the scoring but what type of team they were in and what impact they had in those teams...

Anyway, put your choices down, it's never easy with the amount of great players we have had, it's just a bit of fun in the end isnt it...<cheers> <ok>

2. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

So difficult and I don’t think you can ever say anyone is wrong if it’s based just off personal preference as they all brought different things. Diff strengths. Some were just ruthless, some had moment (Kuyt’s tap in hatrick against United always makes me smile).

In terms of just enjoyment watching would go for the below. Fowler was my childhood hero so gets bonus points. Rush was just before my time so can’t really comment.

Suarez
    Fowler
    Torres
    Salah
    Owen
    Sturridge
    Mane
    Firmino
    Kuyt
    Rush

Only way to really rate these as forwards would be to look at their goal involvement to game ratio tbh as otherwise you’re always going to end up with different variations just based on what people enjoy.

redcgull likes this.
  3. moreinjuredthanowen

sorry but fundamentally rush should be much higher :) irrespective of age.

I can't believe people left off heskey as well. with respect he was a massive part of 2001 to 2004.

redcgull likes this.
  4. Darwinism

Darwinism Well-Known Member

All top strikers and I’ve seen all the players on that list including Rush but no doubt in my mind that Salah is the best. Many such as Suarez Rush or Fowler could make a case to be labelled world class but Salah is the one that no one can possibly argue is among the top 3 or 4 goal scorers in the world. His stat of goals per game is also the best of the lot.

redcgull likes this.
  5. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Not much in it in pure goal stats when compare Suarez to salah tbh.

Prem only
    Salah 0.66 goals per game (102 in 153)
    Suarez 0.62 (69 in 110)

redcgull likes this.
  6. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Suarez
    Rush
    Torres
    Salah
    Fowler
    Mane
    Firmino
    Kuyt
    Owen
    Sturridge

redcgull and moreinjuredthanowen like this.
  7. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

Suarez
    Rush
    Torres
    Kuyt
    Salah
    Fowler
    Mane
    Firmino
    Origi
    Sturridge
    Owen

redcgull likes this.
  8. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

My head wants to say Salah but my heart says Suarez. The 13/14 season is probably the best individual season in PL history.

saintKlopp, redcgull and Zanjinho like this.
  9. moreinjuredthanowen

its best not your favourites. How can you put kuyt (effective but desperately dull ) in fornt of 100 goal salah. how?

redcgull likes this.
  10. moreinjuredthanowen

My list:

1. Salah - simply put. won the prem. end of no debate, nothing else. worldie goals and runs and giving us everything and peopel rate a vampire who loves himself over him?
    2. Rush - did you know rush got 22,19,19 and 7 (in 20) in the prem only for us and played another 4 years as a player after us. 346 goals for LFC. if you can't put him up there bloody well educate yourselves ;)
    3. Suarez - ****. total ****. imo he acted up to get a move once he figure this team wasn't up to winning things. IMO he bit two players to get a move, failed once. if not for his genius and the fact you can't ignore him he would not even be on the list.
    4. Fowler - better goal scorer than any of them bar rush. injury shortened his effective career imo.
    Torres - proper striker, over played imo. real goal scorer and that. left badly.
    5. Owen - runner, not a natural finisher like fowler. liked a one on one but dirtied his bib as well. so fast that his touch wasn't an issue.
    Mane. Makes the list and prob should be higher than kuyt as he works hard but has exciting skills. extremely frustrating but will get a goal every 3 or4 chances. very different player
    6. Kuyt- yeah I'd have him in there, slow but not that slow until final 2 years, such a hard worker and very very effective without being exciting. worked cos torres and gerrard were there with him. thats why he is down the list
    7. Firmino - has to be on list for intelligence and work rate
    8. Jota- good start young man. keep going.
    9. crouch - can't beelive nobody mentioned that bicycle kick. bloody awful start 11 game? without a gaol but the crowd back him and all that. good lad and did a job
    10. Heskey - badly underrated. did well enough for us as the man to give own the playform and got a cuple good high socring season but slowed up with a bad ankle imo.
    11. Morientes - top top player, joined far too late and was too slow.
    12. litmanen - cos why not. what a bloody player joined far too late
    13. mellor - why not played in 2005.
    14. keane - cost rafa his job. rafa bullied and treated him like **** cos he didn't buy him but imo the only reason we lost the 08/09 league was rafa selling him then havign no strikers when torres and gerrard got injured. He did "alright"
    15. ings. two knee injuries. honest lad and living his best life out there for his hometown club.... oh wait...

the "i refuse to recall them" list

Collymore - worked well with fowler for one year, had a falling out with him and ****ed off. such a waster. could have been a legend
    Lambert - say no more. nice fella i'm sure
    bellamy - total ****.
    baros. i think he is still running head down away with the CL trophy. he might look up after another 20 years?
    badontelly - just why?
    diouf - **** wit
    solanke - how did we get 19mil for that
    aspas - the most anonymous player ever and then goes home and beats up the lower half of spanish league.
    voronin - what a ponytail?
    borini- the guy with the weak shoulders
    Carroll - ponytail. missed header in fa cup final. thats it. awful.
    bentekkers - say no more.
    anelka - did alright.
    cisse - never learend there was an offsdie rule.
    Origi - the myth the legend.
    pongolle. plays a few games. another houliier disaster
    n'dog. why on earth did we have to endure folls thinking this lad could cut it.

redcgull and Darwinism like this.

11. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

Salah has the premier League record for goals in a season.

Suarez just missed out on it, despite not taking penalties, missing the start of the season for biting someone and being in a sh!tter team. Best player I've ever seen play for us.

12. Darwinism

Darwinism Well-Known Member

Never mind that Suarez was the most disgusting human being in the premiership (biting like a dog, disloyal, disrespectful) he was not as good as Salah in playing terms. Salah any time much better. Just so disappointing to see people putting above Salah and other legends.

13. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Doesn't say goalscorers either

14. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

You either need new eyes or you're about 12yrs old

saintKlopp likes this.
  15. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Thats some list mito<whistle>

16. Sucky

Luis.
    Mo
    Fowler
    Nando
    Owen

17. saintKlopp

All those who don't put Rush near the top need their heads seeing to - or are just too young.
    I'm too lazy to do the whole thing, btw.

18. Sucky

I missed rush myself unfortunately, fowler was my 1st love.

19. saintKlopp

Rush was all time top-scorer with 346 in all competitions, so that should speak for itself.
    However, if it's PL only, that would wipe about three-quarters of them off.

Sucky likes this.
  20. moreinjuredthanowen

It may be deliberate

Sucky likes this.