1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rank Liverpool's top PL forward

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by redcgull, Oct 18, 2021.

1. moreinjuredthanowen

I've seen more entertaining and luke I tell man utd fans Ronaldo's best years were not at utd so what does it matter to this that suarez had great years at barca.

Suarez, total ****. John barnes was better and I will say that forever. Salah is better too, faster, stronger but just a poorer diver.

Darwinism likes this.
  2. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

Suarez
    Salah
    Torres

Rush the best overall but his peak was well before PL era .

redcgull and Bumps like this.
  3. Darwinism

Darwinism Well-Known Member

I find this divorcing of respect and loyalty for club and fans, behaviour, discipline from innate ability in judging a football player rather strange. This is a team game. You have to judge the whole package. Surely damaging a club’s reputation through misbehaviour must count? Have to agree with MITO. John Barnes and Salah both better although Salah would be top of the tree.

4. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

Agree and disagree lol on that

Not going into the whole racial thing again but Evra’s credibility was destroyed imho when he was proved a liar
    He stood and claimed that he could NEVER use the N word because of how strongly he felt
    That is a fair comment
    Unfortunately for him a video surfaced proving that in fact he was prepared to use that word
    So I cannot believe anything or anyone from that whole debacle

Torres I think you have totally wrong as that guy loved our club imho - even passing the ball so he wasn’t the one to score the goal that killed off the title in that infamous game
    I think we (LFC) we’re the bad guys in that affair

The biting was totally unacceptable and in no way am I defending that but again I believe we as a club had promised the season before to let him go
    But it’s just an opinion
    Nothing more <cheers>

redcgull likes this.
  5. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

In which case maybe we should wait to judge Salah until he has finished his career because if we are to believe the reports coming from media outlets the guy himself or his representative looks like they could be holding the proverbial gun to our head knowing that 500k a week will blow our entire wage structure
    Which could be a doomsday catalyst (if you are pessimistic like myself) for the club right now.

In which case Kuyt probably moves up my list and Salah down - I never saw Kuyt sulk
    Salah has done - he has also had very selfish moments (the season he was on for golden boot V Kane springs to mind)
    I have no major issue with that but I didn’t realise there were these complexities to the selection

if that were the case yes Suarez drops a lot of places but so does Salah for me

redcgull likes this.
  6. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

Barnes was brilliant though the PL came just as he started to decline ( except in size ) but he wasn't an out and out forward nor is he on the list .

7. Darwinism

Like you , I don’t want to revive that whole thing again. But those points you make point to the lies that people are willing to use to win their case. But the key point remains that Suarez did racially abuse Evra. Nobody who knows Suarez would believe for one second that he used that word as a ‘term of endearment’ in a confrontation. Although it IS very often used as such in South America. Some LFC players such Carragher have since apologised to Evra.

8. moreinjuredthanowen

in the end its all opinions and all equally valid. just shooting the breeze really.

Comolli in his eagerness to brush the thing under a carpet pretended he could translate english on the day and did so for the ref and it all went in the report. The ref should have been sent off and lawyers got involved as comolli made the case for the FA. it was all in the refs report. it was the final nail in comolli's coffin for FSG.

Torres, sorry but he decided he wanted out, which is fair enough like others along the way but he forced his move in January when we were badly struggling and he left us looking at deadline day with david n'gog. I see nothing wrong with him deciding the **** show he was left with was unacceptable (see mascherano really) but he left us in a bad spot and i for one can't ignore that. Karma bit him real bad IMO <laugh>

9. Darwinism

Hang on. How can you compare a player negotiating a new contract to what Suarez has done with his biting and racial abuse and his despicable engineering of his departure? Two completely different scenarios. One is going through the normal process of negotiating. If many players who can’t even tie his boot laces are earning double what he earns, why can’t he ask for parity with these players? Is this holding a proverbial gun to our head? The club is free to make a judgement. If they do not wish to increase the wages he will be sold. If they value him they will meet or come closer to his demands. He is not doing a Mcmanaman where he runs down his contract and goes for free. He is not responsible for our wage structure for goodness sakes.

redcgull likes this.
  10. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Absolutely agree

redcgull likes this.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

especially when one is a pure media rumour of the wage demand (we just don't know)

suarez actions are on record. He bit someone at ajax when wanting to leave there. he bit two players at our club but strangely and for someone reason never even thought to do so at barca.

Those barca guys must have great psychotherapists.

you are right. we have a couple years left and he is going on 30. we have the choice and its open. sell up or pony up.

Its hardly like he's doing a Coutinho and faking a back injury here. The only redeeming feature to Suarez for me is he never once shirked a game and never once have less than 100%

I don't even bother recalling the sumptuous passes and strikes coutinho provided us. its all gone. just recall a back injury and a silly fee. Same for owen, just a manc tickler. same for mcamanaman a watercarrier for galacitcos, i can recall 92 and 95 finals but don't remember him for those or the mazy runs and dribbling skills.

same for suarez now. I can recall him crying after the semi final v barca though ;)

like windy did his thing, gave 100% as he left and i'll recall him in that CL semi scoring 2 goals. no issue. If he stats mouthing off it'll rapidly recede

People like alonso, hyypia etc never dirtied their bibs or answered leading questions to piss off former clubs, but some feel the need to do it with glee and it tarnishes anything they did.

12. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

This is a matter of opinions No right no wrong
    As Mito says just shooting the breeze
    You believe what you believe - as you have detailed
    I don’t care what actions derail the path of the club
    IF and it’s a big if - as it’s all media talk Salah follows through with it it - demanding 500k a week
    I (only I ) have a major issue with that

I had an issue with the bite

but the op was best forward - not team - not humanitarian
    I gave my opinion you gave yours

I totally respect your views on it as I do MITO who doesn’t agree with me but they are my opinions

like I said if we were taking attitude into the equation Kuyt goes up the list for me lol
    and Salah down

He is more than allowed to ask for more money imho as he has done fantastically well for the club

HOWEVER that information should absolutely- under no circumstances be getting out into the public domain

holding the club to ransom is a ****ty thing to do

his fans will say pay it his detractors say no
    It’s almost divide and conquer

I realise it goes on but not all players do it
    Milner done it ?
    Rush do It ?
    Kuyt do it ?
    Fowler do it ?

I would have thought more people would have been annoyed I snuck that legend Divock in lmao

redcgull likes this.
  13. moreinjuredthanowen

rush left us for 3.2mil and came back for 2.8mil

souness left to go to italy.

players come and go but only way to be a legend is to give your all when playing and don't dirty your bib on the way out and after.

Kuyts a nice fella and all that. he could be desperate to watch but gave us massive effort and self sacrifice and provided huge numbers of assists as a result.

we might as well accuse henderson of leaking move to PSG to force club to give him massive contract like jimmy does.

Its then opinion but its a severe opinion not based in "facts" but in choosing to believe what version of events the press have given that you like most.

I prefer to go by the impact on the club afterwards as it cannot be denied.

Raheem sterling is one example. IMO he down tools in certain games and did'nt try a leg which lost me any respect for him. however IMO the club was pressuring him for contract and he didn't like it and we then sold him for a good price. Was he worse than owen? no imo. not much different bar the impression on the field where he had a few absolute can't be arsed running games. Any worse than mcmanaman? no imo either.

do we give him more stick. yes.

why? timing? state of club at time? type of fans today? perosnality? moving to win easy tophies? or more sinister?

redcgull likes this.
  14. Darwinism

<ok>

like Mito said we can’t be sure about the request of 500k. Even if it’s true, would it be in his best interests to put it out in the public domain? Such a large amount is bound to alienate the fans. Is it possible that people close to the club leaked it so as to put pressure on Salah to sign and absolve the owners if they can’t come to an agreement?

but as you say we all have our opinions. We all make subjective assessments of those we like and we don’t like. FWIW the club should increase the wages Salah gets. Not 500k that Ronaldo is supposed to get but something like 250-300k which any decent forward gets these days. :)

Bumps and redcgull like this.
  15. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Doesn’t matter. Suarez best season with us was better than Salah best season for us. Jist because he then to another level at Barca doesn’t discredit his performance here

Bumps and redcgull like this.
  16. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Interesting reads by the posters on here, great to see i must add, and it just proves that when it comes to selecting a 'greatest, best, most talented' etc then the beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

What i would like to add is that my memories of watching these players live, seems to stick in my mind the most. Fowler was God, adored him, watched most of his goals/games live when i used to follow Liverpool all over. That team would have won title had it not been for them down the road, so he's was always going to be high on my list. Yes, and i do take Mito's point over Rush, scored plenty in the early years of the Pre but again his best form for me was before that era, again something i was fortunate to see, though not all of it...

Torres was a bull of a forward and when compared to what was in the league at the time, Drogba was the only player who could be talked of in the same breath, both class, both very influential to their own sides.

As for Owen, what an impact he made at the start of his career, but the blokes i used to stand watch at the time always said that his speed is his only asset, which used to get laughed at the time but once those hammy's went he just wasn't that player again was he.

The fact remains, we get out of them more when watching live than on a tv box, well i do, and i think that means a lot when picking, selecting or debating who's better, worse or should be in the list. I do find it fascinating that some of you hold deep grudges towards a few ex-players, Macca, Owen, Sterling to name but 3 and you all have your reasons for it. The Macc one was interesting as had that transfer being in today's climate the media would have been all over it on every back page, twitter, forums and press. But back then, transfers and news like that only got drip fed out and by the time the deal was done i don't think we the fans really knew how, why or who pushed that through...

That's the beauty of open chat and the reason why i do like reading your comments over the past 10 years or so i've been on this forum, mainly the horse racing forum though...

Keep it up lads, it's great to see and read, so may it continue...<cheers> <ok>

17. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

<cheers><cheers>

18. saintKlopp

I agree with this (apart from the unmitigated pessimism bit obvs :))
    It's hard to deny Mo his wage demands given his current form - but, if the reports are true (and we don't know that they're not just ****-stirring hackery) then the long-term damage to the club could possibly undo the good he does do.
    This pushes him down the list of good guys, but like I said - the discussion was about talent and efficacy, not piety.

19. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Nice one mate <ok>

20. moreinjuredthanowen

yeah, i even left him off as he was playing midfield virtually CM at that point.

But is salah and mane as wingers then john barnes counts , he scored 28 form left wing in one season. thats unheard of back then.

interesting on owen. I viewed him as he controlled the ball by kicking it 5 yards away form opponent and getting there first.

I agree watching live is totally different and these guys are really absolute gods of football when you see them doing the things to do live.

On macca, he was the first so the first lad always cuts deepest for the generation imo. what he did then you are right, it wouldn't matter today but he cost us the equivalent of the then centenary stand build so it had massive ramifications for evans.

redcgull likes this.