1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ratings against Fulham!

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Lieutenant, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

Hat's my boy!

A report on the game from NUFC.com

Newcastle 1 Fulham 0

Over seven hours since last witnessing United register a home goal, things were looking bleak with less than five minutes to go at St. James' Park on Saturday afternoon.

At that point Hatem Ben Arfa stepped into the Fulham area for the umpteenth time in the game, but for once resisted the temptation to try and dribble through the defence and instead cut infield to loop a shot that flew past 'keeper David Stockdale in the Gallowgate End goal.

It was a moment to savour for those present and greeted by both scorer and fans alike with scenes akin to those following the late goal by Papiss Cisse that saw off the same opponents for our last home league win in April.

Ben Arfa emerged from the celebratory scrum to be shown a yellow card, but that was a small price to pay for a goal that single-handedly lifted the doom-laden mood that threatened to envelope the whole ground.

For most of the previous 85 minutes, Newcastle never looked in danger of failing to record their third clean sheet in the last eight days, but struggled to create a scoring chance of their own worthy of the name.

An unchanged starting XI from last week's stalemate with West Ham meant that there was again no place for Yohan Cabaye, but this time he was named on the bench along with our sole arrival in this transfer window, Loic Remy.

2. Tasty Magpie

Tasty Magpie Well-Known Member

I thought Sissoko looked very good in the final 20-25 minutes when we opened up and started attacking with real intent. Once Remy and Gouff were on and Fulham defenders were being pulled about by their pace and movement, Sissoko started to look effective bursting forward and was heavily involved in decent attacking build up.

3. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Sissoko is a funny one for me. At times he tore around and got stuck in. Then at others he just sauntered around like he has in many other games, watched Anita struggle, and most importantly showed absolutely zero interest in busting a gut to get up to support the strikers. The glaring thing yesterday for me was the lack of numbers we put in the box. Fast forward to post goal, Remy on, and all of a sudden there was movement

4. anyobrien

anyobrien Well-Known Member

Remy looks the real deal for me.Quick feet and clever running into space once he has a run in the team i can see him causing some damage.
    Sisssoko is a strange one i think he did ok yesterday but i get the feeling there is more to come and that he is just not pushing himself that bit more possibly playing to orders? who knows.
    Happy with the 3 points and the 2nd half performance but there is still work to be done.6 oot of 10 for the win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.